Navigation Idea for true newbies

I had a new player the other day ask me for some help with navigating. I revealed to him the illuminating light of knowledge, and he saw things in a brand new way.

TrooNewb tells you, "Any tips for Navigating?"

You tell TrooNewb, "You use the overhead map yet?"

TrooNewb tells you, "Overhead map?"

You tell TrooNewb, "Type MAP."

TrooNewb tells you, "Oh, that, kind of small and hard to get my bearings with that."

You tell TrooNewb, "Try inputting this command. MAP RADIUS 5."
You tell TrooNewb, "Then do MAP again."
You tell TrooNewb, "That help?"
You tell TrooNewb, "If it's too much you can try MAP RADIUS 3 or MAP RADIUS 4. you can do 1-5 until you find something that works."

TrooNewb tells you, "That's perfect."

Can the default map radius be a little bit higher? On the web browser client I think there's a built in map already, but some players don't have that map, and they are stuck with the default MAP RADIUS 1. This isn't the first time I've come across this and it would go a long way to retaining new players who are completely unused to navigating a text environment.

Does this have anything to do with mobile phones? I realize on a mobile phone screen seeing a map with a radius bigger than 1 would be crazy. Just throwing this idea out there, feel free to shoot it down, I can take the criticism :-)

Comments

• PainePaine Prime Material

I need to start posting more ideas if they get implemented this quickly. Then again, instant gratification isn't fast enough (Thanks Tecton)