Death Penalty

13»

Comments

• @Sena‌ brushes with what City of Heroes did, as another direction. You never lost XP there, just gained it at half rate until you paid off your XP debt from dying, which maxed out at 50% of the level you were on.

I do kind of like the ability to lose levels anyway, but I understand I'm in the minority on that opinion, I think.

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • I don't really like an xp gain penalty any more than permanent xp loss. It's effectively the same thing (extra grinding, wasted time), just without the loss of levels (which is only a tiny penalty unless you lose level 80 or 99).

• TharvisTharvis The Land of Beer and Chocolate!
    Santar said:

I'm not convinced that removing xp-loss is a good idea, but I can see some merit in it - Still forming an opinion on that.

<snip>

Main problem I would see surfacing in the event Xp-loss is removed, is a cycle of people killing each other because "lol, we get exp but lose nothing by letting ourselves get killed in turns". Of course this would be nearly instantly handled by the Admin, but yeah.

Aurora says, "Tharvis, why are you always breaking things?!"
    Artemis says, "You are so high maintenance, Tharvis, gosh."
    Tecton says, "It's still your fault, Tharvis."

• can we not just make perma-death for players, voted for by the public?

• Who says EXP gain would have to stay as it is (or at all)? Could limit people to gaining EXP from people to obviously (or likely) legitimate cases, like once every X days or if they had a contract or whatever.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    When i think of setback, I think, having one of those "life choice" conversations with my mother.

However everyone feels different re: what a punishment for them would be. You can't balance around the subjective which makes coming up with realistic punishments for death quite difficult.

Wasting time seems like a decent one at the moment.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm
    Seftin said:

can we not just make perma-death for players, voted for by the public?

I vote for permadeath for (insert forum-victim tous jour here)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • RipRip
    edited July 2014
    Hindering players that die is the wrong way to look at this.  (Why punish those already feeling crappy?)

Turn this upside down and give perks and rewards to players that die.

I realize the "Death Penalty" sounds incredibly cooler then the "Life Reward" however...

Killed during PvP...(If you "embrace death")

- Keep XP loss and redo it, balance it for Dragons, whatever...

- When you die, you gain 1% health bonus per death for one day

- You gain the ability to locate player that killed you for 15 mins.

- Hired contracts are half off for an Achaean day...(Could even have a Denizen Mark that strolls up to players later on and asks if they would like to seek revenge using the Mark system.)

- after 3 deaths, a non-Mark/Infamous player will have the option to become a PK pacifist for the remainder of the month. (Hunting ONLY being allowed to reach the HIGHEST point of last experience.)

---

Personally, I am used to death, I have lost a level and half just last week (thank you all for killing me, it's been fun) and could care less about hunting my way to get it back, OTHER then the fact that my last "trait" is on the line...

---

I like the idea of battle wounds, or some type of trauma that doesn't really mean much but adds flavor.

---

For you Dragons, 3 deaths...no more dragon for the month?

*I love anything that involves more people enjoying PKing as a game form.  It's human vs. human the best kind of interaction.

Another Idea I had,

Leave everything the way it is but during Night Time.  Open PK 100%, no XP loss.  Try it for a year, see what the outcome is.

• IsaiahIsaiah Georgia
    Rip said:
    Hindering players that die is the wrong way to look at this.  (Why punish those already feeling crappy?)

Turn this upside down and give perks and rewards to players that die.

I realize the "Death Penalty" sounds incredibly cooler then the "Life Reward" however...

Killed during PvP...(If you "embrace death")

- Keep XP loss and redo it, balance it for Dragons, whatever...

- When you die, you gain 1% health bonus per death for one day

- You gain the ability to locate player that killed you for 15 mins.

- Hired contracts are half off for an Achaean day...(Could even have a Denizen Mark that strolls up to players later on and asks if they would like to seek revenge using the Mark system.)

- after 3 deaths, a non-Mark/Infamous player will have the option to become a PK pacifist for the remainder of the month. (Hunting ONLY being allowed to reach the HIGHEST point of last experience.)

---

Personally, I am used to death, I have lost a level and half just last week (thank you all for killing me, it's been fun) and could care less about hunting my way to get it back, OTHER then the fact that my last "trait" is on the line...

---

I like the idea of battle wounds, or some type of trauma that doesn't really mean much but adds flavor.

---

For you Dragons, 3 deaths...no more dragon for the month?

*I love anything that involves more people enjoying PKing as a game form.  It's human vs. human the best kind of interaction.

Another Idea I had,

Leave everything the way it is but during Night Time.  Open PK 100%, no XP loss.  Try it for a year, see what the outcome is.

If OpenPK == 100 and time >= 2130 and time < 0400 and noTextploss then

Return less players at night and most people stay in a safe city

End

@rip I ran the equation for you... It doesn't look good.

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Isaiah said:

End

@rip I ran the equation for you... It doesn't look good.

AdminIssuesInbox.issuesCount *= 9000

forums.immediateOverload(Subject="I know I'm not losing experience but all this dying is screwing up my autobashing bots. Please do something about these... GRIEFERS.")

End

• It'd be a fun experiment, but I think if people use it as an excuse to PK whoever/whenever, it'd still get tiring for non-coms, because it'd still be a forced interruption. Still need restraint for exactly the same reason it's always needed - so people can enjoy the game instead of go ugh why do I even log in.