Splitting areas up.

This is a repost of a thread that went nowhere in the past (find it here: http://www.achaea.com/forum/splitting-areas-up)

So I think that offplane areas like Annwyn and the Underworld (as well as Ulangi and Polyargos, feel free to name more) need to be split up into separate areas. Annwyn is 250-something rooms large, and it does not make sense that the entire plane is considered one area. Same goes for the Underworld.

This makes the pk nature of Annwyn and the Underworld extremely beneficial to those who have ranged attacks. For example, a monk can radiance you from anywhere in Annwyn or the Underworld. A blade master can full sense you from anywhere in Annwyn. It's my belief that splitting up off plane areas would make the combat there more interactive, by forcing movement.

Example: If I go into Annwyn and full sense (assuming my target is gem'd off of qw), I can see everyone there. However, if the areas were split up, I would have to visit the Sidhe and Unsidhe courts respectively to get a full idea of who was in Annwyn. I believe that this would encourage more combat interaction, and create less of a "lame" feel from ranged attacks (e.g., mind radiance - I wouldn't need to leave the plane and re-enter to fight, I could simply leave the area and come back to engage my sparring partner).

This would also improve interactions on Polyargos with the current Yudi vs. Maklak event.

A way we could implement this change would be to make Annwyn three areas: Unsidhe, Sidhe, and the Forest (including the underwater world). Please provide some constructive comments! I would really like to see attention brought to this issue.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway

if someone radiances you, you can walk up to them and devour them because they are off balance for  10-15s.

I prefer to not be disturbed when I'm bashing but I don't know about making area's like this safe because they are primarily bashed to defile shrines with, and making it easier to avoid conflict seems counter productive as a whole.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Mishgul said:

if someone radiances you, you can walk up to them and devour them because they are off balance for  10-15s.

Stupid veils  :\

Prism works though.

• I see your point here, but what if I can't find the room they are in? Should that be the only possible way for me to escape? Do you really also think it will make it "easier" or potentially encourage less running and more interaction? I hate having to wish out of Annwyn just to come back.

• I'm not quite decided on the issue, but I don't think I'd be too opposed to them being split up. There used to be a good reason for not wanting too many area borders: it was too easy in many cases to simply stand at an area border and hop over it to avoid many area-wide attacks in a very easy fashion, but now that many of those abilities have turned into line-of-sight or close distance abilities, that issue isn't as pronounced anymore.

Talysin said:

I see your point here, but what if I can't find the room they are in? Should that be the only possible way for me to escape? Do you really also think it will make it "easier" or potentially encourage less running and more interaction? I hate having to wish out of Annwyn just to come back.

prism tattoo!

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Prism tattoo doesn't really function in group situations. I can't prism into their group on poly.

• I mean... it seems like the thread went places just fine.

Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Hoping for a change of heart :)

• Mishgul said:

I prefer to not be disturbed when I'm bashing but I don't know about making area's like this safe because they are primarily bashed to defile shrines with, and making it easier to avoid conflict seems counter productive as a whole.

Not true.  I go for fairy crack.

• OceanaOceana North Sea

Maybe this should not be in this thread, but are there any plans to open communication to off-plane areas?

• @Sarapis‌ any chance for similar changes to the underworld?

• ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    Aliath said:

Could just limit radiance to a 5-room radius like everything else.

That would make radiance basically unusable.

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Agreed. I think radiance is fine as is. More or less total dominance in most off plane areas is a little dumb, though.

It's not really dominance unless you are going to die to the monk anyway. Radiance is a big "come kill me now" from my point of view, and now I won't have that luxury. 

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • It is as long as you have a veil. A veiled telepathy user is really frustrating to someone like me.

prism to them or leave annwyn. Annwyn was the easiest to escape area out of all the off plane areas as it has multiple exit rooms that are simple to use.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • Prism certainly can be risky. I've lost count of the number of times I've prismed to a veiled attacker and landed in a killroom, surrounded by men and women with a violent temper. But yeah, leaving the area is usually easy.