Technology?

I know Achaea doesn't have much technology, I was wondering when are we going to see something like steampunk or airships? I know that sounds far fetched but it be nice to see something like that in Achaea.

I have Cerebral Palsy, so it'll take me a bit to learn things so please try to be patient with me.

Comments

• KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the Storm

Clockwork Isle is about all you're going to get

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."
  • Magical technology. Accept no substitutes.

• CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN

Synbios said:
    Magical technology. Accept no substitutes.

Flying Battleship powered by magi's casting gust over and over again with area's to drop holocaust's to the ground please.

• Caladbolg said:

Flying Battleship powered by magi's casting gust over and over again with area's to drop holocaust's to the ground please.

That's the prototype. Newer versions will probably have a direct link to the Air Elemental Plane linked to the engine.

• The producers have previously expressed an aversion to adding steampunk elements. I don't know why. You can speculate that because Lusternia, Imperian, and Aetolia all have incorporated steampunk to some degree, perhaps they want to maintain Achaea's tenuous identity by remaining steampunk-free. Or maybe Sarapis just doesn't like it.

I'm not sure how Clockwork Isle was created under that design mandate. Presumably things like clockwork soldiers, clock towers, astrolabes, orreries etc snuck through the cracks. I suppose it depends on how you define steampunk. Shiny brass, cogs, gears, and clockwork are often associated with the steampunk aesthetic. But if steam power is what you consider the #1 central element of steampunk technology, in the real world, gears and for example the Antikthera mechanism predate the steam engine by about 1800 years.

What I would really like to see is Achaea's existing magics and technologies spreading through the world more, and being adapted by the NPC population for everyday uses. The same type of cultural osmosis and technological uptake you see in the real world. Easier said than done, though.
  • Maybe they're just constructs made of clockwork-themed parts...but are powered by magic.

Now implement magitechI am not advertising magical technology on purpose.

• Yep, they're powered by magic. A bunch of gears and clockwork parts can't possibly simulate life on their own.

• Sarapis said:

Yep, they're powered by magic. A bunch of gears and clockwork parts can't possibly simulate life on their own.

But you know what would be cool? Revisiting the study of manipulation of the 'spiral ribbons of creation' that the Tsol'teth did long ago. Maybe one of the Conclave decided that, instead of tearing apart a race by changing their spiral ribbons, why not weave one of their own(with predictably fun/hilarious/disasterriffic results) and attempt to genegineer their own race and/or biological upgrades?

• Mhun with flippers plz.

I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • We could call them grook.

A race of humanoid amphibians, the grook seem to be a fairly recent race, perhaps produced via experimentation with powerful magic.

• I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.