Classleads

Comments

• Don't view the approval in isolation, look at the big picture. Many things will change as a result of this classleads round/weaponry changes which must be soon, etc.
  • I doubt we'll be seeing weaponry changes soon, but I hope I'm wrong. The (lack of) speed on Soulpiercers is starting to piss me off.
  • WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Antonius said:

I doubt we'll be seeing weaponry changes soon, but I hope I'm wrong. The (lack of) speed on Soulpiercers is starting to piss me off.

If you're a runewarden they're awesome, but yeah, kinda suck for paladin/infernal
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Shut up i want to win fights for once.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • WessuxWessux Chattanooga
    Mishgul said:

Shut up i want to win fights for once.

Don't be a scrub.
    Invest in a 9mm retirement plan.
  • Soulpiercers are amazing for Infernal! I agree with Paladin though, depressingly poorly suited :(
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Not if you aim for the holes in the visor!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Predictable, as it's the one place that blade could actually have a change of damaging. At that point the guy wielding:

is going to knock your dinky blade out of the way (or just raise his arms) and smash all  that is your face!
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• You could probably kill someone with a toothpick if you got an eye shot in. It would probably not kill them itself, but if they're wounded enough, you could just take that fancy helmet off and smash it into their skull a few times.
  • Nim said:
    You could probably kill someone with a toothpick if you got an eye shot in. It would probably not kill them itself, but if they're wounded enough, you could just take that fancy helmet off and smash it into their skull a few times.
    You are so hot right now @Nim
  • I'm surprised and happy to see all of my significant classleads approved, with the exception of passive healing being visible.  Not sure why that got denied, but ... can't win'em all.
  • Jarrod said:
    I've always felt rapiers are a stupid knight weapon in general (even though I used them as a knight because you kind of have to at this point), because seriously:

This -

versus this -

Is going to accomplish approximately nothing.
    While not entirely true, I've always just pictured the rapiers Knights use more like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-sword

What bothers me more than rapiers is the fact that we use two long blades :/  Hopefully with the knight rework that doesn't misrepresent two-handed swords as some sort of hulking, brutish option.

• you guys make me think of..

• You click the share tab and post the URL it gives you rather than the one from your browsers address bar.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Aerek said:

With zero sarcasm/passive aggression, can someone explain this to me? A few of us were just talking about how powerful Infernal's Vivisect is at present in the combat forum, so this one caught me by surprise.

Report #52
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Submitted by: Carmain        Status      : Approved                 Priority : 3
    Skill       :                Ability     : Necrolysation
    Problem:
    In the current climate, due to evolving systems and combat logic amongst people becoming more
    efficient, infernals are lacking a way of capitalising on their setups. They lack a shieldbreaker to
    prevent people avoiding disembowel, and restoring and not applying restoration while off equilibrium
    has been shown to be a successful method of avoiding vivisect, especially since restore was reduced
    to only partially take into account partially damaged/mangled limbs, so that cleave was taken out of
    the equation. If logs are required to prove this, they can be provided.
    Solution #1:
    Necrolysation could be an ability to add a 50% fail rate to restore. So if someone uses restore
    while necrolysed, there is a 50% chance for each individual limb to be cured. For each limb not
    cured, the equilibrium cost will be reduced as if that limb was not broken. This will lessen
    reliance on a trigger to restore on limb breaks. To make it effective, the ability should be delayed.
     Once activated, the infernal will lose equilibrium and be unable to do anything for 2 seconds, at
    the end of the 2 seconds, he regains equilibrium and it will inflict the target, as well as give a
    message. The cure should either be a ten second wear off, or applying to torso so that the ability
    retains it's usefulness. It would cost a hefty amount of essence, around 10%
    Solution #2:
    increase the equilibrium cost of restore to it's previous state.
    Solution #3:
    If the head is damaged, restore has a chance to fail entirely.  This will add an extra defensive
    dimension when fighting infernals, and people will have to be more wary of how they are defending.
    Decision:
    Approved for investigation into further restore eq modifiers.

Not applying restoration salves while off-EQ is the only way to avoid Vivisect. Are we trying to make Vivisect actually unstoppable? I'm not trying to be snarky, I would legitimately like to understand the underlying logic behind the classlead and the approval.

An intelligent parry and pre apply of restoration w/ rebounding is another strong counter which is underused but very frustrating when you come up against it (this can be coded)

The thing is, is it worth making things 100% mechanically avoidable. Fights aren't fun when they drag out and i would rather die to an infernal who sets up and capitalises properly. Sitting afk and surviving these setups is stupid imo.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited April 2014
    I see. Couldn't the same be said of any setup, from any class, though? I thought that was Achaea's entire design philosophy:  If you cure "optimally" and never make a mistake, you'll never die. If we shift away from that, towards a paradigm where a perfect setup is inescapable, that essentially puts every fight on a timer; the first one to reach their setup wins. Wouldn't that present massive imbalances between classes with different lengths of prep work? If we took the same approach toward Monk and re-evaluated Tumble's length to make a double leg-break setup inescapable, then a fight between a Runewarden vs a Monk simply becomes a race that the Monk is going to win every time, because Monks only need a fraction of the time a Runewarden does to setup up both legs and torso. (Unless every class is getting an overhaul so they all take roughly the same time to set up their kill, which sounds dreadfully dull to me)

I guess I just fundamentally disagree. I do have fun when fights drag out, because it means both combatants are equally skilled and the match is won and lost in nuance, rather than because of the ignorance of one party. It's why I've never complained about Tumble stopping Disembowel, because if you've done your homework and know the weakness of each opponents' setup, you should never die to one. The fact that folks can survive indefinitely if they have explored every possible avenue of curing and countering to find the "best" route against a given opponent is what makes Achaea different and interesting to me. I can see where it might be boring at the highest levels of competition, where everyone knows those "best" methods, but the vast majority of the game (even the vast majority of combatants) don't fight on that level, so it seems harsh to tear down what I feel is one of the most unique aspects of Achaea simply because the top 1% is "too good" at this game.

But assuming that is the direction we're going, my next question is whether every other class would be getting an unstoppable setup of their own at the same time, or would we all just have to deal with Infernal being the only mechanically unstoppable class for a while?
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • edited April 2014
    Report #85
    Submitted by: Micositu       Status      : Approved                 Priority : -1
    Skill       :                Ability     : Subterfuge cancel
    Problem:
    It is simply too easy to cancel a large number of warps with essentially no cost to yourself. It 
    takes just as long to cancel a wormhole as a it takes two people to splice a wormhole. So 
    essentially the aggressor, or the person canceling, has it easier
    Solution #1:
    Make it such that canceling requires 2 people. One on either side of the wormhole or require 3 
    people on one side of a worm hole, such that wormholes which lead to rooms with guards can 
    eventually be canceled. Also add a function which notifies serpents of wormholes being canceled.
    Solution #2:
    Make both splicing and canceling a multi-event practice. As in it takes 2-3 achaean months to splice 
    or cancel a wormhole, in multiple sessions. Furthermore adding a new feature which would disable but 
    not cancel the wormholes, making them a more fixed stucture.
    Solution #3:
    Decision:
    We acknowledge there is a problem with the one sided nature of conflict here. None of these 
    solutions, but we'll make changes.

I guess with all those snipe ents it is kind of embarrassing you couldn't keep wormholes up against just one person cancelling.

Edit: OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE FORUMS. SOMEONE HELP.

• Hnnnngh
  • @Vastar He is @Bonko, he did everything.

- 2014/05/13 03:37:22 - Jhui dies gasping for breath, asphyxiated by the power of Hanley Silverstorm's kai.

SerpentKai Go!

• edited May 2014

The change to Numb pretty much just crippled monk bashing.  Without armor, resistances, or shield of absorption, Numb was pretty much our only form of damage mitigation.  For a change based on a classlead that was purely PVP related, that nerf seems to have had a pretty big side-effect.  Any chance we can find a way around that @Makarios? (Like having it only have a cooldown if you were hit by a player during the Numb?)

• edited May 2014

I bashed to Dragon with 12/13 con (w/icon) and 11 str and only using numb a few times. Monks can bash just fine without it. Don't really mind the change just yet, we'll see.

• I'm personally not happy with the sandling change. Right now, it's pretty much useless, since if I have a single broken arm and I'm standing, I'll just shield. At most, this'll be useful against knights, but monks again have it easier to kill people now. Gods forbid they had to prep a single arm extra.

• I've been meaning to post on this a while, so I'll go ahead now I think.

The issue with prone "shieldlike" abilities (ones that require people to spend equilibrium/balance to counter) is that curing to a point that you can use them when prone is almost always (with very few exceptions) going to be considerably faster than curing what you would normally need to cure to survive. Given that historically these abilities have also been on classes with tanking mitigation above the average, it is very unlikely someone curing with this in mind is going to die to a non instakill-based setup (for the purposes of this, I'll include attacks that drop your health from above 90% to 0 as instakills) inside the window of opportunity. This isn't the norm for artied players, and definitely isn't for unartefacted players.

As for sandling being useless now, I'd rather say it is still far superior to shielding if you are able. There are obvious advantages to being able to dodge follow up attacks such as thurisaz, dragon blast, and kai choke upon standing, for example. It certainly isn't as potent as formally.

• The sad thing is, I never even made it so that I put arms before legs in my curing priority. Ah well, it's true that sandling isn't totally useless. I'm just lightly grumpy because a certain monk is no doubt going to start jumping me at every turn again.

• Report #309
    Submitted by: Jukilian       Status      : Rejected
    Skill       : Enchantment    Ability     : Bauble
    Problem:
    Throwing a scented bauble into an adjacent room is useless if the owner of the falcon has ordered 
    the falcon to Track to somebody. In one case, a falcon returned in exactly one second after a bauble 
    was thrown. If this is the case, this makes scented baubles worthless as the majority of Knights who 
    use falcons would most likely be using Falcon Track to have it follow somebody. Even if the thrower 
    is indoors, the falcon returns.
    Solution #1:
    When a Scented Bauble is thrown into an adjacent room, have the falcon forget any orders to Track 
    somebody that it currently had when it leaves the room

Solution #2:
    When a Scented Bauble is thrown into an adjacent room, have the falcon forget all orders that its 
    owner had gave it, not only just Track

Solution #3:

Decision:
    Not too keen on making mechanics like this more potent.

More potent? How about 'actually of use'? :( May as well remove baubles from the game, I otherwise see no practical use for them whatsoever. Could have at least considered making this at least of some use.

I know this isn't rants, but this thread is about classleads, so...

• Problem with mechanics like these are they're very, very boring for both people. Noone wants to spend half a fight doing throw baubel/falcon recall until one person gets bored or runs out of enchantments.

We might find something to use it for down the line though.

• edited May 2014

Does falcon track <person> require the falcon to be recalled? And does it have with it any balance or equilibrium costs?

If it doesn't cost anything and doesn't need the falcon recalled, then throwing a bauble means potentially unwielding a weapon or shield, potentially relaxing grip, wielding a bauble, and throwing it in an applicable direction, costing balance. You then need to rewield what you unwielded and potentially grip again.

Then all the Knight needs to do is 'falcon track <person>' as soon as they notice.

All of this while fighting the Knight, of course. Huge sacrifice just to get the falcon out of the room.

Feel free to correct me, I'm not 100% on falcon control.