magi kill strats

Could you guys help a noob out and let me know some of the popular magi kill setups?  I have tried to break a leg, break head, then retard with all my vibes in the room followed by jabbing poisons but I can't even kill someone that isn't fighting back like that, not sure what I'm doing wrong

Comments

• Do you have a vibe stack? And try to break in retardation.
  • I have my vibes in the room yes, is that the same as a vibe stack?  Then a break a leg/head in retard after the person is prepped.  I have just been testing this out against an opponent that is not fighting back and I can't get the person low.
  • Do you have the person enemied?
  • yep I'm not quite that horrible
  • I typically die from Hailstorm, Fire demon thing, and the damaging vibe. Some people use the ice staff strike to freeze.

The main thing to remember in retardation is do your actions almost a second quicker than normal. Waiting for balance in retardation is wasting precious seconds. So learn timing and you can do chains of actions properly timed.
  • The vibe order is important, has anyone taught you that yet? 
  • Kaden said:
    The vibe order is important, has anyone taught you that yet? 
    oh yeah, I make sure the less important ones are eaten by retard first.  Should I be trying to do damaging attacks in retard or jabbing poisons?  Do Magi still use bows in retard ever?
  • edited April 2014
    A few basic retardation strategies, in order of simplicity:

1) Just go for damage - this is going to hinge on getting them prone so they can't easily leave.  Then just go for staffcasts and occasional jabs with a dagger/rapier to re-prone them (with delphinium)

2) Sleep lock - drop retardation and get them asleep using a blade weapon and delphinium.  This is harder than it might first seem, as a lot of your vibes and ents are going to wake them, so you have to time this well.  Additionally, you only have a fixed amount of time before your vibes are gone to have them sleep-locked.  Once your vibes are gone, sleep-lock gets significantly less feasible.  Also, metawake essentially prevents this from working (however it destroys massive amounts of willpower, which is a pretty powerful effect in high-end combat).

3) Concussion + ret  - if you're slick, you can force your opponents to either cure a broken leg or cure a broken head going into retardation.  Since the obvious best choice here is to cure head, you can add some more hindrance by leaving them with a mangled leg when retardation drops.  Against some lowbie-midbie people you may also get retardation down before they cure the head, which is pretty much an automatic win.

4) Forego retardation, and win using clever use of fog/frozen ground, holo's, well timed leg breaks, and the otherwise awesome skills in Elementalism.  Adding retardation half-way through a damage setup is always a good way to finish a damage setup, provided they're hindered.  So many new and midbie Magi just go straight into retardation on a leg break and feel cheated that this 2-ability combination doesn't result in a 100% success rate.

...5)  Buy a lupine bow, get 255 delphinium arrows in your quiver, and skip learning how to actually fight as a magi.
  • What is the kill strat with a lupine bow?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Hexus said:
    What is the kill strat with a lupine bow?
    Drop full vibes+retard on them, walk out and shoot them with delphinium arrows.  Lupine is so fast it will only take 4 arrows to kill them.
  • Achilles said:
    Hexus said:
    What is the kill strat with a lupine bow?
    Drop full vibes+retard on them, walk out and shoot them with delphinium arrows.  Lupine is so fast it will only take 4 arrows to kill them.
    Or just put it in adjacent rooms and wait for them to walk/tumble into it.  Ret + Lupine is stupidly OP.
  • edited April 2014
    There's quite a few. Talk to someone IG about it.  You're Mhaldorian, you have one of the best magi in the game in your city.  I'm sure @Hasar will be willing to help.

• @Hasar is always willing to teach people and is honestly one of the best around. You could also try asking @Earionduil as well.
  • edited April 2014
    good kill strat is call for help. works for all classes tho not just magi
  • LadrunLadrun Montana

Along these lines, will I need a weapon of some sort to be effective in combat or will I be able to just use magic?

• A weapon is preferable

• A very legitimate strategy for people that are around your level is straight damage though.

• Enough burst damage is always a legit strategy if you can hinder someone's movement.

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited July 2014