Space Engineers

You all should check out Space Engineers.  Its currently Early Access on Steam for $20 and while it is still alpha, it is extremely stable for an alpha and fun to play.

Its kind of like Minecraft in space, but with better graphics, cool space physics, jetpacks, and spaceships.  They just added survival mode and multiplayer mode recently and its pretty fun. You can build space stations too, all custom with different rooms for different functions.

@Mishgul and @Kaevan have it now and I think a few more are getting it.  Feel free to post here if you want to join us in the madness that is trying to not crash spaceships into asteroids because your reactor just ran out of uranium and now your ship has no power and oh my god why is my ship still floating at through space at the same speed with no controls ahhhhhhhh

Comments

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I have it too. I'll check it out!
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• I got it yesterday, but I'd likely need other Aussies to play with for minimal lag. I've started a single player lone survivor and my first attempt at a small ship floated away into oblivion because I bumped it and it wasn't connected to the ground underneath. :(

And damned meteorites keep hitting my station and breaking everything!!
  • Carmain ruined my whole day and bougth it for me. What an Asshole.
  • Watched some reviews. It looks fun but I'm not sure it's $20 worth of fun. I'll watch some more though and see what I think.
  • I considered it. Then I spent money on something else, and now I don't have 20 USD available. I will think about it in the future, maybe...
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    the game is still in alpha nad is really good, and more content is coming so I am quite excited.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • These meteorites are seriously driving me crazy.

I literally just started building a new heavy armoured station away from my starting point to avoid them, and within 10min of starting to build, BAM, meteorite hits it. At least it is tankier than my starting platform.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    It's like minecraft in space. I'm still trying to grasp around how to play/build in it, but I got into one of the pre-made ships and started driving it and.. I got sort of carried away.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

@Jukilian my steam id is sheepdog_mcfry if you want to work in our world. I can't host it permanently at the moment, going to see if i can get a dedicated server that everyone can go onto when they want.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    Dedicated servers are not live until the game is officially released. 

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • edited April 2014
    Jukilian said:
    These meteorites are seriously driving me crazy.

I literally just started building a new heavy armoured station away from my starting point to avoid them, and within 10min of starting to build, BAM, meteorite hits it. At least it is tankier than my starting platform.
    Haha, yeah. We had to turn that stuff off for now.  It was literally me just running around our space station repairing meteor shower damage and the occaisional @Mishgul crashing into the spacestation.

Jacen said:
    Watched some reviews. It looks fun but I'm not sure it's $20 worth of fun. I'll watch some more though and see what I think.
    @Jacen Definitely look some more into it.  If you have any questions we can answer them here.  I would say for an alpha, it includes far more than what I would expect.  In my opinion, in its current state it is worth $20, but it also has so much potential with things they are planning to add and with the things they have already added that are pretty polished, I think they will meet their goals.

ETA: I would recommend some of the fan made videos on youtube.  There is so much to the game already that isn't included in the trailer.  For instance, it can handle like a first person shooter and has provisions for guns and stuff, but those can be disabled to cater the experience to what you want.  Waseem is a space pirate.

• Bought and downloaded. Gonna play some single player to learn some stuff. Steam name is WackyWormer.
  • edited April 2014
    If it goes on massive sale would be willing to give it a shot.

EDIT: Or if someone wants to trade me it for Deus Ex: Human Revolution + The Missing Link DLC, and potentially Half-Life 2 and/or Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as well.

• Mishgul said:
    @Jukilian my steam id is sheepdog_mcfry if you want to work in our world. I can't host it permanently at the moment, going to see if i can get a dedicated server that everyone can go onto when they want.
    Added you. No guarantees on how laggy it might be for me to hop on your server, but it's worth a go!

On my single player game I've made a small mining ship, which has turned into my base of operations as everything is being destroyed by meteorite showers.

And oh man. Drills are AMAZING. Mine things for ages and they carry 15,000 L worth of ore! I just need a safe place to park it that won't get it destroyed. I had one of those yellow ships for a while parked at my platform, but when returning from mining and hopping out onto the platform, the gravity was sideways. I turned to look at my ship and it was floating away. Half of its thrusters were destroyed and I couldn't pilot it anymore.

So I ended up attaching my tiny mining ship to the surface of it and harvested almost EVERYTHING off that ship and stuck it into the cargo of my small ship. It may be small, but it can hold a fair amount of gear!

In the process of building my heavy armoured station still.

My new baby. And by baby I mean minor. And by minor I mean miner.
  • Can that thing fit through the hole it bores? The wiki said drills dig a 3x3 hole so the edges of that thing should catch.
  • Do I really need a new game? No. Can I live without it? Yes. Do I want to live without it? It is looking more and more like that will be a no.
  • Trey said:
    If it goes on massive sale would be willing to give it a shot.

EDIT: Or if someone wants to trade me it for Deus Ex: Human Revolution + The Missing Link DLC, and potentially Half-Life 2 and/or Chivalry: Medieval Warfare as well.
    Anyone? It's looking more and more fun.

• Kinilan said:
    Can that thing fit through the hole it bores? The wiki said drills dig a 3x3 hole so the edges of that thing should catch.
    It can somewhat fit through the hole it digs. It would almost fit perfectly if I took the landing gears off of it.

At the moment I just push through until I get a bit stuck, reverse out, dig a hole next to that one to make it bigger, etc. Eventually I have a huge hole.

Bad thing about that is too much stone. And, well, too much everything. My refinery is clogged up by a whole lot of Uranium and Platinum, as that stuff takes forever to refine. I need more refineries. This is what happens when I'm like, 'I need platinum to make this ore detector. I'm gonna go find platinum and mine it.' and end up with something like 6k Platinum ore.
  • Anyone that has this and wants to play feel free to add me.

Building my space station with a friend of mine, and here's the main hub that I just did. Way more to go.

Also, the most hilarious thing just happened to my friend... He just made a really small and compact diamond-shaped ship. And he accidentally damaged the gyroscope inside of the ship, which was directly above his landing gear.

So he's grinding away to get inside to the gyroscope, when bang, something broke and his ship just started spiralling away from him. He climbed into it as it still had fuel and tried to pilot it back - the gyroscope was gone! So he was spiraling away into space with a ship he couldn't control, so I quickly grabbed all the components needed for a small gyroscope, flew out to him as he's spiraling away, and did an emergency gyroscope installation on his ship while it was spinning. It was hilarious (for me, at least). He'd only spent a couple of hours on that ship..
  • Yeah, when your small ship loses its gyroscope its no bueno. I'm still dizzy.

• This looks fun so I picked it up. Steam name is Laceus.
  • We have a world up at the moment. Just Carmain, Jacen, and I in it at the moment.  Feel free to send me a friend request on steam if you want to join up.

• 6 hours later and I think I have a handle on things. Very basic things. This game is entirely too fun.
  • STOP IT

I NEED TO STUDY

JUST TELL ME HOW BORING THIS GAME IS
  • I played it for a little bit, and I wasn't fond of it, because it felt really lonely and quiet and dark in space. :(
  • So tempted...hrm...
  • edited April 2014
    In space, no one can hear @Nim whimper in loneliness.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
    yus. It's best played multiplayer because things get done quicker and you can also fool around. I made a disco miner.

-

As drawn by Shayde