Seeking a Runewarden Mentor

// This is an OOC posting made by a new player seeking to connect with an interested party for long-term RP.

Hello my friends!
    I play a siren runewarden seeking a fellow runewarden to help me as an in-character mentor, teacher, and guide. My idea is to approach a mentor/ mentee relationship like a commoner might seek to study and learn a trade by a skilled master from scratch. Being new to Achaea and MUD style games I am the poster child of 'newbie' but I have a strong serious desire to learn, grow, and become a dedicated proficient player to the community. A lot of my character's base persona is up in the air; as such things become REAL once role-play happens. I know that people have lives and don't spend every free moment in game so I thought it might be a good idea to post this type of request to the general community. Or maybe you are an old player that has grown stale over time - this might be just the thing you have wanted!
    Again I am looking for a runewarden class only. Race does not matter much but another female character might feel more appropriate to the relationship, though not something I would see as a requirement. My character is city-less and house-less but Ashtan and the Grand Merchant Collective interest me from the choices. The deity Alessondria follows will most likely be Caspian. Again I am new so not sure if these selctions will be actually do-able but they will be my goal. My character will try to keep a balance of personal freedom, a good heart, and doing 'bad' things when they seem right by her personal compass: so, she will be mostly neutral but sway between good and evil without the chaotic motivations more darker characters have.
    I will only be playing ONE character and thus will invest a lot of time and care into her IC and OOC. She will eventually be a living breathing person with quirks, strengths, weaknesses, faults, and her own moral code... though this will be shaped by important people in her life. Mainly you, dear mentor. If you are the helpful and patient type that enjoys deep long term role-play, wishes to watch a new character grow over time, and are a runewarden of a somewhat neutral bias on life then please post a little something here but send me a Personal Message with some more detail about your character, involvement in the server, and play times and stuff.
    Mentors in all games are quite a big decision for both parties and even more in a gaming environment such as this. We can either work together on my character's background if you wish to be included or we can 'randomly become acquainted' in character though a meet-up time if we seem like a good fit. I do hope the right person for this role finds this post...
...A few more notes here:
+ I am NOT looking for someone to give me lots of power, weapons, skills, tatoos, gold, credits, mounts, housing, or an easy life in any way shape or form.
+ I'd like the focus to me on the relationship, in-character lessons, in-character rune lore, in-character application and help with advanced tips and tricks with the class as I improve over time with you.
+ The ability to be witty and improvise would be a HUGE perk.
+ I will not be actively seeking character vs character fighting.
+ I am really not a very well speller or a fast typer, though my English is well and have years of experience with role-playing
+ My GMT is -5 and am 'mostly' free in my evenings through the late late night. But I will be on all times. That will be more my set time.
+ At the time composing this I am still in the tutorial area under level 10.

-Jena

P.S. I joined a few days ago with the same name yet decided to change my character from a druid to a runewarden. I deleted that character and disbanded the account on the forums to make THIS Alessondria. just to clear up any confusion if you saw my posts started on that account. There was only two so it should not be an issue for anything I don't imagine.

P.P.S. I don't think this kind of communication request is against the rules in any way but if for some reason it does fall into a deep gray or red colored territory then feel free to delete this or contact me to amend any infractions I have put here.

Comments

• edited February 2014
    First, the forums are entirely OOC; so feel free to talk about anything.  Secondly, we don't really ask for RP around here - not quite that community, we just go out and do it.  But what would really help you out is joining a city or a house, and having a reason to interact with the older/more experienced characters.  There are tutoring programs in each city and house, and I think they're precisely what you're looking for.  Welcome to Achaea!

And another note, Caspian isn't really a God that players can follow - well, they -can- but there's no Order for him.  I'd look at HELP PANTHEON if you were interested in that.
  • If you're interested in the Merchants, there are many capable mentors there, and you would probably best be served by interacting with them in game, not forums.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    Hi, @Alessondria.

As @Nellaundra stated, this really is the kind of thing that is probably best found in game. That said, I wish that you were an apostate, because I'd take you as a protege if you were. The things that you are looking for in a mentor are definitely the things that I look for in a protege. Anyway, I'll try and help where I can.

Ashtan / Warlocks
    To my knowledge, Ashtan doesn't really have a knighting program. They might have a few runewardens, but don't really have a culture of knights that I think you might be looking for. Someone please correct me though if I'm wrong.

Cyrene / Wardens
    This is probably your best bet. They're a great fit for true newbies, and have a knighting culture. Further, Runewardens got their start in Cyrene, as you can probably guess by their house's knight house name. Here, you will learn what it means to be a runewarden in particular, more so than any other house/city.

Eleusis / Sentinels
    I love Eleusis as it's one of the four factionally-aligned cities in the game. Generally very helpful, and probably just as good a place to get started as Cyrene. The Sentinels are really focused on combat, and they accept quite a few classes. I'm not sure about their culture of knighting. I would say that it's definitely worth a try, though, if you're looking for factional role play.

Hashan / Blacklotus
    Black Lotus was originally a monk house; now they are Hashan's combat-focused house. Hashan has some good role play going on for it, and I definitely recommend it for true newbies just as much as Cyrene because of it. Not really factionally aligned, but working on it. Knighting culture is almost completely non-existent, but @Hhaos is trying to work something up for precisely that. Worth looking into, I think.

Mhaldor / Maldaathi
    Factionally aligned, and therefore, very interesting role play. Probably a bit more difficult to break into as a true newbie, but you'd be surprised at just how newbie-friendly Mhaldor is. Has an active knighting program and culture. Maldaathi are very combat-oriented, however. RP is plentiful in Mhaldor, and it really functions like one big house. Very good mentor/protege program, from what I've seen. As for how they treat runewardens in particular; runewardens will be looked at as any other knight. You won't really have a 'runewarden' culture there like in the wardens, but you will have a strong knight culture.

Targossas
    Factionally aligned, but from what I've read from others, will be forgoing any knighting program. Still, you'll definitely be well-taken care of there.

My advice to you is that you should pick one of these organizations, and try it out. You should also look through the rest of HOUSE LIST RUNEWARDEN, and then read through HELP HOUSE <house name> on each. Read through HELP TARGOSSAS, too, so that you don't miss out on them. Once you pick one, try finding a mentor in-character.
  • AlessondriaAlessondria Cleveland Ohio
    I'm very sorry for posting this then. I don't see an option to delete threads or edit my posts so a new comment will have to do.

...seems this post is a totally disregarded and unaccurate anyways as I just learned a few more things in game to make me see the runewarden class isn't the right fit for me afterall. So a runewarden mentor isn't what I need afterall! I feel embrassed and rather silly for having made this topic now.
  • I'm very sorry for posting this then. I don't see an option to delete threads or edit my posts so a new comment will have to do.

...seems this post is a totally disregarded and unaccurate anyways as I just learned a few more things in game to make me see the runewarden class isn't the right fit for me afterall. So a runewarden mentor isn't what I need afterall! I feel embrassed and rather silly for having made this topic now.
    Oh pifflesticks.  This is the internet.  Nothing anyone says on here matters, anyway.

We still like you.
    [2:41:24 AM] Kenway: I bet you smell like evergreen trees and you could wrestle boreal mammals but they'd rather just cuddle you
  • Wait what.

You just said you learned something new from making it! I call that perfectly necessary and not something at all to feel silly about. We're all pretty helpful, usually, even if some of us help with negative ForumXP, for what that's worth.

Also, welcome to the game, and I hope you find exactly what you are looking for!

Bydar, a garish-looking trader says, "I'm not a man, I'm an experience."
  • Psst - if you're interested in Caspian, check out Neraeos' Order. Neraeos is the current God of the Sea and Caspian's son - and there's a lot of very interesting lore to be found in the telling of the story. We're also just a fantastic Order to be a part of. (I'm not biased at all, nope!)

"Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to? You will never find that [everlasting] life for which you are looking. When the gods created man they allotted to him death, but life they retained in their own keeping. As for you, Gilgamesh, fill your belly with good things; day and night, night and day, dance and be merry, feast and rejoice. Let your clothes be fresh, bathe yourself in water, cherish the little child that holds your hand, and make your wife happy in your embrace; for this too is the lot of man." 

• AlessondriaAlessondria Cleveland Ohio
    @Kuy: Naw, I don't blow things off online. I try to be myself no matter if its online, over the phone, at work, or whatever. But I get what you mean and thanks.

@Kei: I supose you are right! You really made me feel good to hear such an encouraging comment. I'll make you cookies sometime.

@ Jhaeli: Oh that sounds perfect! I used to play Neverwinter Nights 2 on a player-world (ie online in a fan created/ funded server) and my character's deity was a lesser known lesser god. I have to say I enjoyed RPing that deity yet the lack of folks following him made it kinda blah after a time. Hearing that there is organized role-play for Caspian I will deffie be going after that faith. Not as a 'holy roller' but just a follower.

Update: It looks like I am going to be a very slow player integrating into the game (I have always had a slightly less then average level of reading comprehension - with myself I really need to 'say' speak what I am reading mentally. Especially with such quality professional descriptions the staff has made for us...so kudos to them). That 'one hour tutorial' has taken me like 12 hours so far. I guess I can't help but read slow and I wanna digest the setting so I read everything in detail. As a result of constantly doing searches on terms, locations, and game commands plus googeling a few words that are over my head exploring a small area takes me a long while. I am still overwhelmed but feel confident I will eventually meld into the setting: be it time. So I'm not really in a hurry to 'start' now anyways. I enjoy some other games and my life is full but I seriously enjoy the setting. I guess if you see this and wanna take note of my character (same name as my handle) then just strike up some role-play with me when I am around in the weeks ahead.

-Jena
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    Kuy said:

Oh pifflesticks.  This is the internet.  Nothing anyone says on here matters, anyway.

imageimage
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Update: It looks like I am going to be a very slow player integrating into the game (I have always had a slightly less then average level of reading comprehension - with myself I really need to 'say' speak what I am reading mentally. Especially with such quality professional descriptions the staff has made for us...so kudos to them). That 'one hour tutorial' has taken me like 12 hours so far. I guess I can't help but read slow and I wanna digest the setting so I read everything in detail. As a result of constantly doing searches on terms, locations, and game commands plus googeling a few words that are over my head exploring a small area takes me a long while. I am still overwhelmed but feel confident I will eventually meld into the setting: be it time. So I'm not really in a hurry to 'start' now anyways. I enjoy some other games and my life is full but I seriously enjoy the setting. I guess if you see this and wanna take note of my character (same name as my handle) then just strike up some role-play with me when I am around in the weeks ahead.

-Jena
    I'm kind of the same way. My reading comprehension is pretty low. I often times have to re-read something more than twice to grasp the basic concept (and I am a pretty avid reader, and I love to re-read books). I have, over time, gotten much faster with reading and like you said, it just takes time. The more you do something the faster and more adept you'll become at it. With that said, after a while, you get used to reading the same commands over and over so you're aware of what's going on. It turns more into a skimming and less of a direct 'I must read and imagine every detail of this.'

There is a pretty steep learning curve when it comes to MUDs, especially IRE ones, but once you've mastered it you never forget it and the world is so darn rich that it can be overwhelming. I remember first starting and doing as you do - HELP blah for practically everything. And it does get easier, just try to focus on what you need to know for right now. I can play any IRE game (sans maybe Midkemia), thanks to the basic structure that is similar across the board.

I would recommend a few things.

As your first character, don't buy credits. When you purchase credits with money, your character is made permanent. You may or may not want to continue playing the first character you ever create. Heck, you may want to go and play a different IRE game. If you've grown very attached to them and feel like you do want to keep the character forever, by all means, do as you please. But don't feel like you need to buy credits to keep up or any nonsense like that. I played a different IRE for a few years and when I came over to Achaea, I made a few different novices to play around with first.

Second, I wouldn't recommend venturing to the forums anymore. Not as a first-time player. A big part of the forums is to come here and complain and it does breed a very toxic environment. And unfortunately, a lot of the time people don't see you as a person ("ur a mhaldorian u kick kittens and puppies irl ur a bad person" etc). There is very little regard for others on the forums, and if you have the attitude that attracts the bullies of Sapience, you're gonna have a bad time. So it is best to simply stay from the forums or keep forum activity to a minimum (unless, of course, you feel you can handle the ridiculing and rampant idiocy that floats around here like a cancer - it only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch). You will have a far richer experience seeking out company within the game, I promise you that. Don't get me wrong though, we love to read about people's roleplaying experiences and there are a lot of positive / hilarious people running around, but as life is wont to do, those with a big mouth tend to complain the loudest.

And lastly, don't give up. If you get mad, just remember that it's a game. Log out. Go do something else for a while and relax, and then come back with renewed vigor. Don't let the game dictate how you feel, and try to have fun with the amazing roleplaying tools we have access to.
    But gosh darn it, if there do exist some people who just can't handle the uniqueness of your snowflake...
    - Mathonwy