Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

2»

Comments

• EiredhelEiredhel California
    You're grounded too @Alcinae.

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Anyone ever tried to use dfterm?
  • Tried for a bit. It seemed a great game but I do have time to play it! There are tutorials on YouTube that help a lot.
    Light prevails, always
  • I reach a point on each of my fortresses when I think 'This would be better if I had mineral X' (usually coal or iron ore) and abandon.

The fact that I rarely set up a military doesn't help. There's too much stuff that has to be configured for the military to work properly, and I end up prioritizing other projects instead.

I need to go through a bunch of learning-project forts in which I get the military up and running. That should get me to the next level of fort management.
  • Yeah, military is a pain.
    Eld said:
    Anyone ever tried to use dfterm?
    That is pretty freaking cool, I never knew that existed!

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Eiredhel said:
    Eld said:
    Anyone ever tried to use dfterm?
    That is pretty freaking cool, I never knew that existed!
    From what I recall from reading about it, it sounded pretty buggy, but probably still worth a try if anyone has the means/time/know-how to set up a server. 
    @Eld so not me... *sob*

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Dammit, @Eiredhel, this was a bad time to get me hooked on DF again.

So ... anyone played with the new(ish) hauling (minecarts, etc) system? Seems like it'll be handy if I can get it working, but some of the route setup is giving me loads of trouble.
    :D it's always a good time.

And I've been playing Masterwork, so I haven't lived long enough to to give a hauling system a go. But I've seen a few rather interesting examples.

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Tried aged ago and could not get it figured out. Then started a week ago and have been reasonably successful. Loving it! Wells are a pain though....

Ugh wells. I hate the snakes, a lot. And the weird animals that climb up my wells.

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• love this game! Can't seem to get past the first wave of attacks though. I keep thinking it's like the sims and I build up this pretty good fort then all of it gets smashed :(
  • Jakiro said:
    love this game! Can't seem to get past the first wave of attacks though. I keep thinking it's like the sims and I build up this pretty good fort then all of it gets smashed :(
    A drawbridge at your entrance that you can close when the gobbos show up helps with that. That and piles and piles of cage traps.
  • I tried to play this like 3 years ago but I found the interface way too messy and decided to wait until it was a bit more polished
  • edited June 2013
    Eld said:
    Jakiro said:
    love this game! Can't seem to get past the first wave of attacks though. I keep thinking it's like the sims and I build up this pretty good fort then all of it gets smashed :(
    A drawbridge at your entrance that you can close when the gobbos show up helps with that. That and piles and piles of cage traps.
    Make 2 entrances, with a drawbridge each. One you use (bridge down), the other you forbid to your dwarves (bridge up). Fill the corridors in the second entrance with traps (wooden spike and stone block traps will do for the first waves). When enemies arrive, get your dwarves inside, raise bridge 1, lower bridge 2. Let a few enemies in, raise bridge 2. What the traps don't get, your militia can mop up.
    Sidonia said:
    I tried to play this like 3 years ago but I found the interface way too messy and decided to wait until it was a bit more polished
    That's never going to happen. Though there are mods for people like you. So you should look around their forums for something that fits what you want. :)

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Sidonia said:
    I tried to play this like 3 years ago but I found the interface way too messy and decided to wait until it was a bit more polished
    You'll probably be waiting a loooooong time.
  • You can get a graphic tileset. That (and DT) are my interface upgrades.
  • I don't care about graphical tiles, it's just incredibly clunky to play even compared to roguelikes (i.e. non-sandbox ones) which already generally have a pretty confusing interface. Maybe when I get bored of DCSS for the time being I'll give Dwarf Fortress another go.
  • thanks @Eld and @Korben .. Imma try some drawbridges on my next playthrough and see how that works out for me!
  • DF is a messy mess and that will never change.

Part of its charm, to be honest.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Makes it "fun!"

• edited July 2013
    Just saw this:

Grunt Urist (male Dwarf).
    He is 29 years old, having been born on the 18th of Chronos, 599 years after the fall of the Seleucarian Empire.
    He is unranked in Achaea.
    He is an extremely credible character.
    He is not known for acts of infamy.
    He is a Slave in Mhaldor.
    His motto: 'Losing is fun!'

Think of the deathsights!
    D: I always enjoy giving birth to killer babies.

And those children who get in a mood and are master's  before they even have their first beard hairs!

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

Trying to recreate the Deep Roads in Dwarf fortress, starting with the Aeducan Thaig. Will post screenies if I get it far enough along. :D

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Busy with a Volcano build. Have two entrances to the fortress.

One is my normal straight entrance with a drawbridge to close it up when I call my dwarves inside to the burrow. The second is a narrow tunnel lined with weapon traps before finally entering a big chamber. The chamber has drawbridges on both sides to it seals up and then I can flood it with magma while fortifications around the sides allow ballistas and archers to shoot at whatever survives. Finally some magmaproof pumps to clear it out again.

*twiddles thumbs as he awaits his first attack*

screenies when you get it!

Meow, meow, etc. 
    Eiredhel's Family Tree

• Really been getting into this lately, though I haven't gotten very far. Just had my first fortress (lol) crumble because I somehow ended up in a frozen wasteland, and I couldn't get any drinkable water, and apparently didn't have someone manning my still. 

Overall though, been excited to finally understand what's going on.