Knightly questions!

Hello, I'm looking to make a knight and I am woefully torn between Paladin and Infernal...Mainly, because I don't quite know how these classes blend chivalry with their variable skill. Any help? :) Thanks!

Comments

• Why do people go for the abilities (Paladin) before the RP (Infernal)?
  • I feel that just about any RP that furthers a cause can be fun. Just something to feel passionate about.
  • Karai said:
    Why do people go for the abilities (Paladin) before the RP (Infernal)?
    Unless I misunderstood, I want to know why do you assume that only Paladin has cool abilities, and only Infernal has the potential for strong RP?

OP: Ironically i can't tell you much about how paladins work in 1v1. Infernals, however, are completely focused around limb breaks. The skill at trans necromancy is called vivisect, and allows you to instantly kill your target if all four limbs are broken. So, as an Infernal, you will be focusing on using limb damage and venoms to try to get all four limbs broken at once to vivisect. Its a pretty awesome class, tbh.

• That sounds really cool, and also kind of difficult. What else does necromancy do for the user, though?
  • Steuern said:
    That sounds really cool, and also kind of difficult. What else does necromancy do for the user, though?
    You eat hearts, impale someone with their own sternum, turn into an ash-like wind, and burst without dying.

You want more?
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Fair enough. Then again, RP and abilities go hand-in-hand in large part anyway. And you can pretend to cast holocaust.
  • edited November 2013
    Paladin offense is generally built around disembowel, which like vivisect means limb breaks but with a slightly different goal. You'll need both legs broken to extend writhe time on impale and therefore secure the disembowel, a broken torso to increase disembowel damage to levels that are actually going to be threatening, and generally another broken limb before the leg breaks to force them off salve balance and delay the first leg being cured (unless you have lightning fast rapiers). Infernal has access to the same thing, but it's about the same amount of prep as vivisect (with less guarantee of a kill if you manage to pull it off) so I can't imagine you'd see many of them trying for it.

Damnation can be an option as a Paladin, depending on the opponent. That's still going to require knowledge of limb breaks and the ability to time them in a fight, though. You'll also need a pretty solid understanding of how afflictions work together, and the ability to react to how your opponent cures, since you'll need to stick asthma to keep hellsight on them long enough to pull it off.

A large amount of the offensive potential from Devotion comes from rites which are entirely passive (you lay them in the room then they do their work), in particular Piety, Demons and Cleansing. Piety will prevent them from leaving the room easily (there's a reasonable chance that it will prevent them, knocking them off balance, when they try to leave), Demons periodically does damage to either health or mana, and cleansing will periodically strip a defence silently. Depending on the class, cleansing can be both a blessing and a curse; any class with access to weathering (increasing their maximum health) can be a pain to fight with cleansing down because there's the potential of your count being thrown off by the defence being stripped. There are also a couple of nice defensive rites, namely Revitalization (periodically restores health and mana to any non-enemy in the room) and Healing (passive affliction curing).

Other offensive abilities include dazzle - relatively fast equilibrium time, gives confusion and dizziness - and hellsight - required for Damnation, cured by smoking (so difficult to stick a lot of the time), but can be devastating if left uncured); they have situational uses, but a lot of the time doubleslashing with venoms will be faster and give more useful afflictions.

One of the strongest defensive abilities Paladins have is Hands, which is a fast and strong active healing ability. at Transcendent it restores ~27% of your maximum health on a few seconds equilibrium, it used to be a 1% increase per skillrank between Novice (7 lessons in, when you get the ability) and Transcendent, and as far as I know that's still true. It requires you to be standing, have balance and equilibrium (which it uses), have working arms (not broken or entangled), and not be paralysed.
  • Hmm, subject or object?  :/
  • Your call.

• I defer to Kyrra.
  • Thank you Antonius! That helped a lot, as for the rest well...those made me smile to :)

• And Trevize, yeah I want more! Those all sound really fun, though.
  • Steuern said:
    And Trevize, yeah I want more! Those all sound really fun, though.
    Lifevision: ability to see anyone hidden, except phase/blackwind/astralform. 
    Shroud: (somewhat) hidden movement/actions
    Gravehands: zombie hands grab someone and trip them when they try to leave
    Purefaction: rot your flesh for protection
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • You take the form of a black wind, allowing you to move around without most things being able to interact with you. People won't see that you're in the room, totems and denizens won't be able to attack you, most player attacks won't be able to hit you, etc. It's useful for both infiltrating areas that are otherwise difficult to get in to (enemy cities, in particular) and for escaping combat when you need to.

There are a few abilities that can strip the defense: grove flash available to Druids and Sylvans, as well as Illuminate and the Rite of Cleansing in Devotion available to Paladins and Priests. You'll also be restricted from moving by the Piety rite while blackwinded, as far as I recall.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    piety slow you down (like if moving through rubble).  You can actually choke people while in blackwind I think but its easily stopped by holding breath.
  • Blackwind choke damage is pretty minimal from what I remember; it's pretty cool flavour but not particularly effective against most people. I could be wrong but I think simply shielding stops it as well.
  • KatzchenKatzchen Mhaldor
    edited November 2013
    Please by all means, go Paladin.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Oh, okay. How bitchy.

• Abuse? Don't do things in public if you don't want them public knowledge. Simple.

• Feel like the abuse part is you slapping him in the face with it in an otherwise civil thread out of nowhere.

edited November 2013
    Dunn said:
    Feel like the abuse part is you slapping him in the face with it in an otherwise civil thread out of nowhere.
    That's a lot like what I felt when I was forced to deal with the novice doing it in the first place... my point is, unless he's changed, he sure wouldn't fit in with the Maldaathi, and rogue infernal is a difficult path to take these days.

There. Edited. I still think it was fair though. Like I said, if YOU make something public, then complain when it's public knowledge... ugh.

• There's a difference between doing an act in game and being a bitchy gossip about it on forums, especially in a thread that's otherwise a discussion on class abilities and the pros/cons of each.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

edited November 2013
    Jarrod said:
    There's a difference between doing an act in game and being a bitchy gossip about it on forums, especially in a thread that's otherwise a discussion on class abilities and the pros/cons of each.
    Except it's on two classes linked to two factions, one of which that plus his general attitude IC would make him completely inappropriate for. I think not being suitable for the one house that accepts that class is extremely relevant.

No, it wasn't nice. But neither was being left with the filthy feeling of having to deal with a novice doing that, having him ignore me when asked to stop, having to actually go in there and ask him to leave. So yes, if calling him out puts people off doing that in future, good.