Wheres the RP?

Hey all, frequent MUD player, fairly new Achaea player here. I came here recently after wanting to get back into MUDs and roleplaying. I took a long break after leaving Shadows of Isildur, due to the staff basically single-handedly making the game inactive. That game was some of the best roleplaying I've ever experienced, due in no small part to the fact that it was enforced. I came to Achaea with an open mind, I knew RP wasn't necessarily enforced, but I had figured with such a large player base that there were a few dedicated roleplayers in the mix. So far, be it bad luck or the wrong hours, I have not interacted with anyone who really wants to roleplay. I use the emote system, I try to stay IC, but it seems a pointless endevour when I am the only person who seems to be doing these things. As I said, maybe I've just been unlucky?

Anyhow, enough of the griping. I'm asking here on the forums to see how many other hardcore RPers there are really in Achaea. I'd like to know if  you're all in a certain House/City? Are there certain Houses/Cities that enjoy more RP than the others? Where's the right fit for me? Is there a different MUD even that can match my play style? As of now I've been reduced to grinding by myself as if I were just playing your run-of-the-mill MMO, because it is what I've been told I should be doing by my house. Me bored :(

Comments

• Honestly, you're just whining.  I have never found another MUD that provides more chance or more common RP than Achaea.  There are some Houses/cities that are more known for it than others, but it really isn't hard to find.   A lof of what makes for good RP is going to come down to YOU initiating it, and a lot of whether or not the other person/people engage back with you is going to come down to whether or not you make it interesting.

You may be having a hard time because you are are so young/new, but give it a chance... so what your house tells you for a while, but keep on trying to initiate RP, hopefully in a non-lame way.  I think you'll find that after a short while, you'll have no problems at all being engaged in RP constantly enough to make you happy.
  • Athrax said:
    Honestly, you're just whining.  I have never found another MUD that provides more chance or more common RP than Achaea.  There are some Houses/cities that are more known for it than others, but it really isn't hard to find.   A lof of what makes for good RP is going to come down to YOU initiating it, and a lot of whether or not the other person/people engage back with you is going to come down to whether or not you make it interesting.

You may be having a hard time because you are are so young/new, but give it a chance... so what your house tells you for a while, but keep on trying to initiate RP, hopefully in a non-lame way.  I think you'll find that after a short while, you'll have no problems at all being engaged in RP constantly enough to make you happy.
    Well that was sort of rude. And you didn't even address any of the questions I asked. Thanks for the input though? And I'll have you know, Achaea is an AWESOME MUD, very immersive, very easy  to get the hang of, massive player base, etc. But the RP? At least from what I've seen? Yeah, non-existant. You've obviously never played SoI or Armageddon, or any really RP-intensive game. I didn't think I was whining, quite the opposite I thought I was trying to be the responsible player and ask questions. :/
  • I'm gonna be honest with you, I am willing to bet a large part of the reason you can't find anyone to RP with is because you're in Cyrene. Now, thats not to say there are no RPers in Cyrene...people like @Melodie are always good for some fun RP. But, in general, you probably won't find many hardcore RPers. The exact same can be said about Hashan, and Ashtan. Both have their small core groups of excellent RPers, but the vast majority isn't interested. I can't speak much for Eleusis, having never had a character there, but i get the sense that its about the same as those previously mentioned. Now, there's certainly RP to be found in Targossas, but we have our share of people not interested as well. In my opinion, if you are looking for just pure RP, Mhaldor is the place to go. its got probably the smallest population of all the cities, due to its role in Achaea, but that same role is what enables it to have such a condensed population of people who enjoy RP. Its difficult to excel in the city without doing any RP. That being said, its also one of the most combat-intense cities. Their role as the general "bad guy" means that basically every other city wants to see them burn, the effect being that there is lots of raiding and combat. If you think you can RP an evil character well, then I'd strongly recommend that. If not, then I'd recommend Targossas. And I will mention that I do hope you pick Targossas because I need more people to RP with :)

Good luck finding a place you enjoy!

• NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    There are good and/or consistent role players in every city, though it can sometimes be difficult to seek them out. Where I presently am, I've pretty well surrounded myself with people that are always in-role, and it makes it much easier for me to stay in-role. I'll go ahead and throw out some names of people that I've interacted with, and respect. Mind you, I haven't gotten to know everyone in game, and so I'm surely missing quite a few.

Ashtan -- @Lianca
    Eleusis -- @Delphinus, if he was still about. Beyond him, I don't have much contact with other Eleusians.
    Hashan -- @Vayne
    Mhaldor -- @Harmonia, @Ruth, @Orzaansyn, @Taraza, myself (I am a Mhaldorian, and so I know the most role players in Mhaldor)
    Targossas -- @Halos, @Silas, I have quite a bit of respect for @Antonius, as well.

There are a great many more role players in Achaea than this; this is just who I can think of off the top of my head.
  • Nizaris said:
    Targossas -- @Halos, @Silas, I have quite a bit of respect for @Antonius, as well.

Ruth said:
    @Ada for Targossas

:(

• RuthRuth Singapore
    I've never had lengthy roleplay with you before! :D
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• Your attitude probably doesn't help Antidas. Every city has their core group of RPers, people who will RP if put into the situation, people who really only want to RP with a certain group of people, and people who don't really have any desire to RP. Most of those that don't wish to RP will keep largely to themselves. The majority of RPers you won't ever get to talk to because you're generally only interacting with your faction and the more 'visible' parts of other factions. Making general comments like your first post just makes you sound elitist and stupid to pretty much everyone who RPs. I'd also feel safe saying that you don't find RP in other factions because most of the people I know in those other factions don't care to RP with you, and aren't forced to.

If you want solid RP, don't base any decisions you make off the forums. Stay yourself, try to RP where you can, and enjoy the game.
    Cascades of quicksilver light streak across the firmament as the celestial voice of Ourania intones, "Oh Jarrod..."

• Thanks to everyone! Very helpful tips here, and a lot of good points made. You've all helped rekindle my desire to play this game a little bit more. Currently already having a blast in Targossas (sorry Mhaldorians... Nicos just isn't evil enough)! At least for now I've found a few people to RP with, and that's good enough for me. Again, thanks for all the advice!
  • StrataStrata United States of Derp
    Learned everything I know about being a so-called "good role-player" by spying on people who I thought might be "good role-players". The results were: Some people talk way too much and use all sorts of big words ... and then all of a sudden they say something completely OOC and you're like "you f***king faker... go wipe your ass with that dictionary, please."

You don't have to use extremely well written emotes and 300 word sentences that you prepared the day before -- unless that's your thing...
  • All my rituals involve blood so don't get me started on that one.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Nicos said:
    Thanks to everyone! Very helpful tips here, and a lot of good points made. You've all helped rekindle my desire to play this game a little bit more. Currently already having a blast in Targossas (sorry Mhaldorians... Nicos just isn't evil enough)! At least for now I've found a few people to RP with, and that's good enough for me. Again, thanks for all the advice!
    Sorry about my earlier post, not sure why I was in such a bad mad yesterday, but it was definately rude upon re-reading.  I apologize.

Very cool to see you've found some people to RP with, though!
  • lolz, I'm being mentioned in an RP thread.

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited October 2013
    yorpo
    you only rp once

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • You're probably not going to see the level of RP as Isildur - played that game a bit, it can be deep.

That said, Achaea has a lot more depth, in both the RP, and in the rest.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • When you find yourself emoting while alone... yeah I suppose some people would call that good rp... others would just direct you to  the 'you play too much achaea when....' thread.

I like keeping a journal with entries in character, helps cement 'what would she think/feel' about x. Of course this is no good if your character abhors writing. :P

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• RyldaghRyldagh Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2013
    Ruth said:
    and surprisingly, @Ryldagh for Ashtan

These are based off interactions not only on Ruth but also on my throwaway alts across cities, past and present.
    Surprisingly?  Hm.  Two ways to take that.  I'll go with <3@Ruth.

Now I'm curious who you were, though!