Austin, TX

Guys,

I'm heading out to Austin in October for 10 days to spend time with a friend we've not seen in 10 years. While I'll have a local to show me around I was wondering if anyone could recommend places to eat, sights to see etc.

I've been thinking about hiring a car and maybe driving up to Dallas or over to Houston. Is this something worth doing would you say?

Any tips welcome!

Ta,

Sob 

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."

Comments

• In Austin - Zilker park, 6th street, see a movie at Alamo Draft House, State Capital.

If Dallas is an option in Oct you should go to the State Fair of Texas.  Stay away from Texas/OU weekend though, Oct 12th.
  • Thanks. We're flying into Austin on the 12th, hopefully won't be any issues..

• Triak listed probably the best tourist options. Austin is a great place to start somewhere like that and just drift around. Lots of little surprises. You'll be there for the ACL festival, always a great place to grab a pass and chill for a day or two. 

For places to eat, that's hard to answer. Austin is the food mecca of the midwest. I advised hitting up the food truck courtyard on Congress. I always eat sushi at Niichi, and get bbq at Ironworks. If you want some fancy dinner, go to Hudson's on the Bend. Hands down, the best meal I ever ate. 

Oh, Texas/OU weekend is a blast to go to. I've went every year for the past 4, and won't be missing this years either. Such a great rivalry, and it draws people out of the woodwork. 
  • Try "the roaring fork" in Austin. Trust me when I say, "try their mac & cheese"
  • Careful of Pappadeaux's, if you're driving. They have a lot of cars broken into in their parking lot.
  • Tekk said:
    Triak listed probably the best tourist options. Austin is a great place to start somewhere like that and just drift around. Lots of little surprises. You'll be there for the ACL festival, always a great place to grab a pass and chill for a day or two. 

For places to eat, that's hard to answer. Austin is the food mecca of the midwest. I advised hitting up the food truck courtyard on Congress. I always eat sushi at Niichi, and get bbq at Ironworks. If you want some fancy dinner, go to Hudson's on the Bend. Hands down, the best meal I ever ate. 

Oh, Texas/OU weekend is a blast to go to. I've went every year for the past 4, and won't be missing this years either. Such a great rivalry, and it draws people out of the woodwork. 
    Really keen to get to a large sporting event of some kind while we are out there. Football, Baseball, Basketball I'm not too bothered, i'm just keen to see what we are missing here in the UK!. Can't get to the Texas/OU game (had to look that up!) as we land in Austin at 3pm on the 12th, but will try to get to see something.

• If you're going to recommend Alamo Drafthouse, you need to make sure he knows what he's getting into.

Good food, good movies, great atmosphere, strict staff

• Excellent. I remember i got a round of applause once for throwing someone's phone across the theatre when they were talking during a film. Sounds like my kind of place :)

• If you are in Austin.. you are honestly seeing the best Texas has to offer.. except for the Dallas World Aquarium. That place is legit.
  • Well, I'm here and it's interesting compared to the UK.. :)

Ate in Flores last night, which was nice

• I'm always so torn about Alamo Drafthouse's execution of its policy.  I like the policy, because so many people are self-entitled jerks that get away with murder because no one stops them, but I feel like Drafthouse appeals too much to people's love of scapegoating someone from the safety of a mob... And is throwing a phone the act of a supreme social assassin, or being a bit of a bully?  Anyway, I do like Texas, a lot.  Even though it has so many rocks and snakes.   
  • Reviving this old thread. Carbine and I met the other day. Any other Achaean's around Austin TX?
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• Got chapel and carbine mixed up again... Definitely chapel. Carbines in Australia. 
    Okk tells you, "You 'woof'ed on a house channel in a conversation with the Lord Bard."

• I'm in Victoria. Close-ish.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna be
    I'm up near DFW, so four-ish hours :(
    Huh. Neat.
  • I'm in the middle of all of you.
  • I live in Dallas/Plano now.

• Super late response (just joined the forums finally) I'm in Austin, TX, been here almost 7 years now.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool Or a coward
    Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
    For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
    "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
    Such is the rule of honor
  • The next 'meet the gods' is going to be in ATX! Spread the word! @Tecton @Sarapis
  • Figured I'd peep up as well, Austin here too!