New trait changes

edited March 2013 in North of Thera
So now that we've had a pretty massive change to the trait system as per Announce #3792, what new traits are you excited about?  What are you missing?

I'm a bit concerned about the strategy of choosing for survivability now, especially since Robust conflicts with Receptive Body.  I'm not sure which way I will go on that one -- I wonder how the math works out.

Comments

• I hate the sip traits conflict with the stat traits and that they removed the health/mana boons :(

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    ...all of my minors are now majors? I hate this idea. Seriously.
  • Back in my day...
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
    I could care less about the health. I want my sip bonuses back.
  • edited March 2013
    I like the new minor traits - more minor things for defining your character are always great.

But honestly, on the whole I really dislike these changes.

The problem with combat becoming "too defensive" was really, really not about HP. That was probably the one area that was, aside from some extreme cases, pretty much fine.

The problem was and continues to be an issue with a lot of affliction classes and mechanics that haven't kept up with systems.

Making it easier to just damage someone out doesn't strike me as something even remotely desirable. It doesn't make unviable setups more viable, it just completely negates the need for setups at all for a number of classes.

Edit: Looked closer at the traits instead of just at the announce. Some of these I really like and actually seem like they might help solve some problems. I still don't like making damage easier given that it's already the easiest thing to min/max to get easy kills and I still don't see anything that really suggests a solution for affliction classes, but the other stuff is nice.
  • Wait, there's a trait that lets you tell limb health?! Yessss

wait, it's major? T_T

my soul has been thoroughly crushed. i no longer have the will to go on.

• Sidonia said:
    Before trait overhaul: Wah wah people have too much health.

After trait overhaul: Wah wah where's my health?
    Didn't complain about people's health before so I can safely complain about my health being taken away without being hypocritical thank you very much! (In fact I don't care what other's people's health are but my own!)

I'm tired of my PvE stuff being nerfed because of useless PK crap

• Veldrin said:
    Didn't complain about people's health before so I can safely complain about my health being taken away without being hypocritical thank you very much! (In fact I don't care what other's people's health are but my own!)

I don't imagine 3% health and 1 con or a 5% (?) sip bonus is gonna make PvE hard.
  • Can someone figure out exactly how Sawbones works and post?

I believe in you, @Sena
  • In case anyone was interested.

ANNOUNCE NEWS #3792
    Date: 3/5/2013 at 1:10
    To  : Everyone
    Subj: Trait changes

I'm pleased to announce a large update to our character trait system,
    allowing even deeper customisation to your characters! The details of
    the changes are as follows:

* All traits have been reset, and an additional reset has been granted
    to those who did not have one.

* Minor traits are now available while in Dragonform.

* 16 new traits have been added:
       * Hated
    About:
    Being generally hated, you've got a lot of enemies. This trait allows an additional five enemy slots.

Major Trait: Yes

* In Crowd
    About:
    You're one of the "in" crowd, allowing an additional five ally slots.

* Expert Diagnoser
    About:
    Grants the ability to check another adventurer for a single affliction. The downside of this is that 
    the recovery from your tree tattoo is slower.
    Syntax: CHECK <adventurer> FOR <affliction>.

* Lethal Ink
    About:
    Faster balance on touching HAMMER, WEB, TENTACLE, and BRAZIER tattoos, at the cost of slower balance 
    on SHIELD, CLOAK, and TREE.

* Sawbones
    About:
    Allows you to examine the health of an adventurer's limb, but at the cost of slower balance recovery 
    on RESTORE.
    Syntax: LIMBPROBE <adventurer> <limb>.

•    * Limbcrusher
    About:
    You're guaranteed to always break four limbs while TRAMPLING, but at the cost of reduced avoidance 
    from being mounted.

* Health Inspector
    About:
    Reduced equilibrium cost for the ASSESSing ability, but at the cost of higher mana usage.

* Mind Warden
    About:
    Your CONTEMPLATION ability no longer has an equilibrium cost, but at the cost of higher mana usage.

* Cheap Shot
    About:
    Being the sneaky bugger you are, you inflict a small bleeding wound upon a successful parry.

* Sticky Stirrups
    About:
    Years of training in the saddle allow you to remain in the saddle through most forms of forced 
    movement.

* Meticulous Care
    About:
    Treat your "always on" tattoos with the utmost care, reducing the chance they'll fade.

Major Trait: No

* Island Trader        (Contest winner - Eld)
    About:
    You're so well loved on the docks that you receive a discount to docking fees in harbours.

* Traveller            (Contest winner - Silvarien)
    About:
    You're so familiar with the common LANDMARKS, you can travel more expediently between them.

* Master Milker        (Contest winner - Dragonknight)
    About:
    You're such a deft hand, that you enjoy a reduced balance cost when milking venoms.

* Braggart             (Contest winner - Sylvance)
    About:
    You're awesome, and you like to make sure everyone knows it. You're so practised at self-promotion 
    that you can shout at greater lengths without fainting.

* Bottom of the Barrel (Contest winner - Jiraishin)
    About:
    You are always so drunk, you've become adept at hiding it.

* Robust now conflicts with Receptive Body.

* Receptive Mind now conflicts with all +stat traits and Receptive Body.

* Receptive Body now conflicts with all +stat traits and Receptive Mind.

* Fire Tender, Ice Warden, Venomous Blood, Imbued, Health/Mana Weaver,
    Reinforced, and Triage have been removed.

Penned by My hand on the 13th of Mayan, in the year 619 AF.

• edited March 2013
    Sidonia said:
    I don't imagine 3% health and 1 con or a 5% (?) sip bonus is gonna make PvE hard.
    Losing 1 con, a 5% sip bonus, and moss being reduced to 8% adds up to a pretty significant difference.

Edit: Actually, I wasn't really thinking when I wrote this. It's a choice between a sip bonus or a stat. Nerfed moss is still a big deal though, if I'm not just bugged.
  • Sidonia said:
    Veldrin said:

actually I'm more of an int guy? You know magi? I've lost a ton of defensive AND offensive power over the years due to PK and this is just another one down the drain. Heck the majority of these traits are useless to me. I got Brilliance, master enchanter, master contemplator and then either lucky or aim to kill. The rest are useless, I'd much rather have my health / mana boost back + my sipping.

• Passive moss got increased back to 10%. Since everyone took it, there was no point in it being a trait.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• edited March 2013
    I'll echo the request for some more concrete facts. Also,

Limbcrusher
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    About:
    You're guaranteed to always break four limbs while TRAMPLING, but at the cost of reduced avoidance from being mounted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Necromancy buff.
  • Sena said:
    Sidonia said:
    Losing 1 con, a 5% sip bonus, and moss being reduced to 8% adds up to a pretty significant difference.
    I didn't think people really took con AND sip bonus for bashing, since there's lucky and nimble and such.
  • Moss and potash are 8% for me.
  • RESTORE
    @Vaehl double trample, can't restore that much really.
  • Just buy some bracelets and a sip ring.  Maybe a girdle and sash while you're at it. All of that and getting Dragonhood should be plenty of "not dying" for most anybody.

• Hopefully all BMs will be able to web impale now and not just ones with diadems.

• Tahquil said:
    Ideal situation: 
    Tecton - Hey guys! New traits will be going live in 24 hours so if you're pretty happy with what you got take a squiz at them and remember them because we'll be resetting everyone's traits to make way for changes. But don't worry if you want to slot in some of the new ones because we're giving everyone a free trait reset unlimited trait resets for 48 hours to fiddle about.with it!

Actual situation:
    OMG ... I can't remember what I had picked last time after spending 2 days umming and ahhing as I weighed shit up, and I can only try out a small portion of the new traits before making an important decision that shouldn't be made blindly.
  • I admittedly like the idea of minor traits not being combat applicable, as having to make that decision between cool money making and rp-enhancing traits or combat was something that probably shouldn't have happened in the first place.

However, I really hate the loss of all those little bonuses to tankiness, especially the inability to take receptive body and any of the other stat increases.

lastly, has anyone tried the sawbones trait yet?

• They didn't put in the anti-hug trait :(
  • Arditi said:
    Just buy some bracelets and a sip ring.  Maybe a girdle and sash while you're at it. All of that and getting Dragonhood should be plenty of "not dying" for most anybody.
    Yeah... got them already... all of it, they all got nerfed when traits went in, then we took the traits to unnerf it. Guess what? Now they removed the traits again and nerfed it -again-

• Might I recommend changing class to a tanky one that uses Intelligence to benefit from your sash, like Mage?

• edited March 2013
    Sidonia said:
    Sena said:
    Sidonia said:
    I didn't think people really took con AND sip bonus for bashing, since there's lucky and nimble and such.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Yes. A lot of people did this. Faster bal/eq, +1 con, +health sip was, as far as I can tell, a very common choice.

Now I need Sena to tell me if I should take receptive body or robust. And even then, damage classes are going to wreck me ever faster than they already do - and that's bearing in mind that I'm pretty tanky as serpents go.

And I got...potentially faster milking. Which I'm not going to take because I never milk venoms. I don't imagine it was intentional, but this was a straight-up nerf for serpents and, I imagine, a few other classes.

Even if the diagnosing trait didn't take eq/bal, I still wouldn't take it with the drawback - it's pretty easy to tell whether people have afflictions I care about by being careful with illusions and there is absolutely no way it's worth slower tree.

Edit: This is a weird sensation. I think I might actually agree with Veldrin on something.