He's not the bad guy, you're the bad guy. (video games rant)

So, I've been keeping up with all the new video game stuff happening in the AAA market lately. Mind you, I still enjoy achaea a lot more than any of the other titles out there save for a few (Xcom, Dragon's Dogma, Dark souls are the most recent.) I can't even express how amazingly angry I get when I see all this garbage coming out. Now when I say "garbage" I am not only referring to the lackluster COD games, destroying what was Dead Space, or anything like that. I'm also talking about the Day 1 DLC that comes out for a 60$ game that I just purchased, the microtransactions that started appearing in my game that I just purchased at full price. Games coming out that are so horribly buggy and disgusting but are faithfully defended by it's fanbase because "mods" and "patches" can make it better in the foreseeable future. Does anyone really want that? why is that defended? what is wrong with all the zombified consumeristic mindless nonsense. I'm so confused.

Video games is one of the four types of "art" in today's society. There are Movies, Books, Music, and Video games. Granted there is still the visual art, but that goes into everything else and is not so much of a social medium anymore. So, when I play something that seems to have an amazing story and visuals wrapped up into one, I am a very happy person. I expect this in my movies. I expect a grand tale of a person(s) adventures in a book. I expect a pleasing set of tones that can evoke emotion. I expect all of these at once in a video game. Not only am I seeing it, I'm playing it, I'm living it. Is that so much to ask?
But here is the problem. Too much doesn't really do that. Perhaps I am just getting old a cynical, angry and disgruntled but I don't really play games to have "fun" anymore. so maybe it's just me and my personal appeal. I play games the same reason I'd read a book. What I do see however is the "broad appeal" taking things over. I'm so happy when I see games like Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls breaking the mold of lackluster and simple minded RPG's (Skyrim), when they are designed, cut, gutted and stomped on to make them accessible to a general base of people mainly, for the money. The art, gameplay, plots, everything is smoothed down for this broad appeal for well.. money.
Now I hear a lot of the argument saying "video games are a buisness." Yes they are. But so are publishing companies, so are producers. All these people are out there to make money. Yet, when people direct movies they want to do something specific with it. when a person writes a book, they are going to write the story they wanted to write. It seems that video games come under a big crunch when major dev groups start putting the stranglehold on them (Yes I'm talking about EA.)

So I guess that explains my random anger as to the slow decline of gameplay value. Now let's move onto the consumer base. When Is see things like..“We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be, and consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business.” ~Blake Jorgensen (EA's Chief Financial Officer), I can't help but feel my veins throbbing in my head so hard that I fear I'll start bleeding out of my ears. So it's a two way street. The company tries something new and stupid, but the consumers are stupid enough to buy right into it. This new mechanic makes me very sad, as it is undoing all of my work. For years I've been trying to convince people to boycott EA games.. but no, with this new trick, every person that does not buy a game.. they will make the money back. Horrible. Thing is, People should be appalled at this kind of behavior from a large group that makes a ton of money. Let's look at the facts. Video games cost a lot of money to make. But so do movies. They have said with inflation, video games are cheaper these days then they were in the past. This is also true (midly). However, remember in the old days, video games were not accessible to everyone, nor did they have a large fanbase. With how many people play video games these days, why are we still paying 60$ per game, as well as DLC, and now microtransactions? I promise you Peter Jackson has spent a hell of a lot more on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I saw all three movies then bought the set for less than 60 dollars. So not only did I get to see it all in theater, but then I managed to buy the DVD set.. for less than a video game that is produced, then scalped, then sold to me with disc-locked content, DLC, and a shit ton of bugs.
Still... people EAT THIS SHIT UP.

Is anybody mad? or is it just me? Here is my list of games that I think make you a bad person for playing. Skyrim, COD games, Madden games, anything with regenerating health, anything with an easy mode, any mass effect after 1, EA games, Activision games, Zynga games.

TL:DR
EA/Activision are horrible people. Discuss.
Replies the scorpion: "It's my nature..."

Comments

• edited March 2013
    With movies you do have to consider all the merchandise and other things which will also be sold alongside it and for quite some time to come.

Regenerating health is an interesting one. You can still have a high level of difficulty with it, it also gives the designers a lot more freedom in how to build levels and encounters. This can be done poorly and not taken advantage of, but so can using health packs, not enough, too many etc. Good game design takes time and money, and with the restrictions, budgets and timeframes these developers inflict on their studios it's no wonder that they're pushing out garbage.

The thing with DLC is, as far as the bottom line goes people seem to be lapping it up. I would have to check as I don't know if this has been studied but apparently people have a harder time keeping track of microstransactions and will end up spending a lot more than they would have if on a subscription model. Also, those who go overboard more than make up for those who don't spend a dime.

I have to say I enjoyed Skyrim a lot if only for the exploration aspect haha. I was also impressed by the scale of the Borderlands DLC but, you know, opinions and all that.
  • edited March 2013
    I've found anything I do that would constitute hardcore gaming is totally unaffected by playing more casual games. I actually enjoyed the CoD campaigns immensely, in all their over-the-top, gore-filled madness.

I'm certainly opposed to things like half-baked DLC, so on, so forth, but then I just don't buy things from a company I don't trust to produce quality content.

What did bug me was Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword. That was such a terrible expansion.

Also, calling you old/cynical/angry. Going to do so on Skype too now.
  • Sammel said:
    With movies you do have to consider all the merchandise and other things which will also be sold alongside it and for quite some time to come.

Regenerating health is an interesting one. You can still have a high level of difficulty with it, it also gives the designers a lot more freedom in how to build levels and encounters. This can be done poorly and not taken advantage of, but so can using health packs, not enough, too many etc. Good game design takes time and money, and with the restrictions, budgets and timeframes these developers inflict on their studios it's no wonder that they're pushing out garbage.

The thing with DLC is, as far as the bottom line goes people seem to be lapping it up. I would have to check as I don't know if this has been studied but apparently people have a harder time keeping track of microstransactions and will end up spending a lot more than they would have if on a subscription model. Also, those who go overboard more than make up for those who don't spend a dime.

I have to say I enjoyed Skyrim a lot if only for the exploration aspect haha. I was also impressed by the scale of the Borderlands DLC but, you know, opinions and all that.
    There is just as much merchandise that comes out with games, from T-shirts, posters, figurines, books, hats, backpacks, marketing deals, all sold right alongside the game. On top of this you have to include that most AAA titles will be coming out with collectors editions (see Diablo 3 200+ dollar packages)

Regenerating health and the like was pretty much made to appeal to the larger audience, as we all know there was hardly any regenerating health in the good ole days, and when you did have it you were dropping a pretty penny on it. (skull augments in diablo 2, special buffs in morrowind, etc.) it was hard to get and highly valued. Now it's just everywhere.

While I do hate most games of this day and age, I will say that it's not just about that. It's about the lack of consumer advocacy that goes into every little thing that the current video game industry does. As much as that irritates me, I still have to say.. It's the playerbase making this possible. Not the video game companies themselves.
  • Oh god. Reminds me of Train Simulator 2012. If I remember correctly, the DLCs for that game rack up to more than a couple thousand dollars now. It's just plain ridiculous.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    You guys buy games?!

Sorry, I can't afford them. :<
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Thought this was a thread about Wreck-It Ralph. Disappointed.

• I don't mind DLC or patches. What I do mind is why.

Games have always had bugs. But games used to be strenuously tested first, as there was no way to update them. With the advent of consoles and computers with high-speed constant connections, way too many incomplete games are being released, with DLC (paid and free) content that should have been in the original game, and patches to fix bugs that should have never made it to production.

Seriously, what the hell.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • @Trevize - your software gripes are a little late... this trend was started by Micro$oft, 16 years ago.
  • Yue said:
    @Trevize - your software gripes are a little late... this trend was started by Micro$oft, 16 years ago.
    My gripe is primarily that consoles have taken this up.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Trevize said:
    I don't mind DLC or patches. What I do mind is why.

Games have always had bugs. But games used to be strenuously tested first, as there was no way to update them. With the advent of consoles and computers with high-speed constant connections, way too many incomplete games are being released, with DLC (paid and free) content that should have been in the original game, and patches to fix bugs that should have never made it to production.

Okay let's take the old game "black and white" into play here. It used to be that you could make infinate food with one miracle, and your creature would only make breeder disciples. The worship power usage was a little iffy, etc etc. However if you were like me and played the game like that for about 3 months before the first patch came out, fixing those bugs.. well hell. I actually enjoyed B&W without the patch 1.02. I tried it.. ended up going back to 1.01. So, my single player game was able to be enjoyed as I wanted it.

Now you have ghost patches and the like, especially with the new "always on" features or active DRM (Diablo 3, tom clancey hawx, etc etc.) If a company decides how a single player game should be played, then let them make that in the first disc. Yes, if there are bugs, leave it up to the player if he or she wants to fix those up. Don't give me this day 1 DLC, and don't use DLC/autopatching as a way to send out horrible games. This is part of what allows stuff like Skyrim to come out so half baked, then leave people defending it and saying it will get better next patch.
  • Trevize said:
    I don't mind DLC or patches. What I do mind is why.

That really is the problem in a nutshell.

Also EA/Origin sucks, screwed over my ME3 save games and multiplayer achievements (snicker) so much I've just turned it off and it pisses me off with the online DRM for singleplayer games. I want to be able to play my games that aren't MMORPGs offline in case the net goes down or something. So I steer largely around games with 'online requirements' that aren't in the MMORPG department

• No John, you are the demons.

And then John was a zombie.

• Interesting. I see where you're going with your main argument (and I can agree with many points in it), but I'm actually more interested in your categorizations of art. I'm an art historian, and am currently writing my Master's thesis on performativity and gender in video games, and I find myself constantly defending the concept of video games as an art form (which surprises me a little bit, especially in this postmodern/contemporary society). It also kind of saddens me though, that the more traditional visual arts (painting, sculpture, and even dance/performance) seem to have been largely engulfed by these more broad categories of media that everyone is gathering around now.

Don't get me wrong, I love video games (and music and sometimes movies), but I think the same forces at work that allow kitsch culture (I'm not against this) to dominate the very definition of art are also at play with the crap-ification (in some people's eyes) of video games and video game culture. Also, don't get me started on the patriarchal nature of the industry itself, and how gender socialization plays out in video games (it only ever gets worse).

I just finished Ni no Kuni, by the way. I'm not sure if you would love or hate it.
  • Dethea said:
    Interesting. I see where you're going with your main argument (and I can agree with many points in it), but I'm actually more interested in your categorizations of art. I'm an art historian, and am currently writing my Master's thesis on performativity and gender in video games, and I find myself constantly defending the concept of video games as an art form (which surprises me a little bit, especially in this postmodern/contemporary society). It also kind of saddens me though, that the more traditional visual arts (painting, sculpture, and even dance/performance) seem to have been largely engulfed by these more broad categories of media that everyone is gathering around now.

Don't get me wrong, I love video games (and music and sometimes movies), but I think the same forces at work that allow kitsch culture (I'm not against this) to dominate the very definition of art are also at play with the crap-ification (in some people's eyes) of video games and video game culture. Also, don't get me started on the patriarchal nature of the industry itself, and how gender socialization plays out in video games (it only ever gets worse).

I just finished Ni no Kuni, by the way. I'm not sure if you would love or hate it.
    But, Dethea, people can think of two whole examples of a strong female character in video games (Samus and Lara Croft) without thinking really hard. Isn't that good enough? I mean, really, what more do you want?!

Sort-of related, but I am currently in love with the Dragon Age games. I know, Bioware is owned by EA and EA is like, teh epitome of EVIL, but dude. My female characters don't start off or end up in super revealing outfits (unless you mod it, I guess), there's a scene early on where they pan over an army, and not only are there female soldiers, they're practically dressed (equivalent to the male soldiers), the companions are fun, with both the men and women having complex motivations. It's awesome.
  • Tania said:
    My female characters don't start off or end up in super revealing outfits (unless you mod it, I guess), there's a scene early on where they pan over an army, and not only are there female soldiers, they're practically dressed (equivalent to the male soldiers), the companions are fun, with both the men and women having complex motivations. It's awesome.
    Initially read that as "practically" in the sense of "almost": "Not only are there women, but they're practically dressed!" Sad that that version probably wouldn't be much less noteworthy.
  • Some of the games I've seen, it's the truth!
  • Tvistor said:
    What did bug me was Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword. That was such a terrible expansion.
    Just to point out a difference here: WFaS was developed by another company, using the same engine. It wasn't an expansion, just a branch out into another area.

I didn't think it was terrible either, I love how much research they put into it. It's a pity they used an old engine version and not the newer one, but it still makes it a good game for me on its own.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Tania said:
    Dethea said:
    Interesting. I see where you're going with your main argument (and I can agree with many points in it), but I'm actually more interested in your categorizations of art. I'm an art historian, and am currently writing my Master's thesis on performativity and gender in video games, and I find myself constantly defending the concept of video games as an art form (which surprises me a little bit, especially in this postmodern/contemporary society). It also kind of saddens me though, that the more traditional visual arts (painting, sculpture, and even dance/performance) seem to have been largely engulfed by these more broad categories of media that everyone is gathering around now.

But, Dethea, people can think of two whole examples of a strong female character in video games (Samus and Lara Croft) without thinking really hard. Isn't that good enough? I mean, really, what more do you want?!

Sort-of related, but I am currently in love with the Dragon Age games. I know, Bioware is owned by EA and EA is like, teh epitome of EVIL, but dude. My female characters don't start off or end up in super revealing outfits (unless you mod it, I guess), there's a scene early on where they pan over an army, and not only are there female soldiers, they're practically dressed (equivalent to the male soldiers), the companions are fun, with both the men and women having complex motivations. It's awesome.
    @Tania - the Original Dragonage Origins was written before the takeover by EA. After Dragonage Origins was released, a lot of Biowares employees quit due to the EA takeover and Dragonage 2  etc were written and produced by at least 2 different groups of people. EA treats it's programmers like s***. You'll find out when you get about 40% of the way through dragonage 2 just how awful it is.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Dethea said:
    I'll gladly talk to you more on a different medium as to my long winded explanation as to why video games are an art form.
    I guess the short explanation is that they are more of a hybrid. I see them as a combination of understanding mechanics that people enjoy, being able to code it in, and just as well have a good story to carry it along.

Let's take a long game like shadow of the colossus. The gameplay was gripping, there were few bugs in it, and the architecture and design that went into every bit of the world was astounding. Just as well it was able to convey a very powerful meaning behind it all with almost no dialogue.

Next is Ikaruga, a bullet hell game. Now it's quite simple, no dialogue, and just shoot everything that moves and try to survive. Yet the musical composure gave everything a much larger "Grand scheme" feel, and at the end The Ikaruga's fate was something that brought a tear to my eye especially after reading the small quotes at the start of every level.

Some longer games like Morrowind have an extremely powerful backdrop to it, and invoke a lot of thought regarding politics and religion, while letting you involve yourself in a very large and strange world. What backs that feel is the size of some creatures, the many conversations you have, the understanding of a different (yet made up) culture, etc etc. There was a lot that went into the game from almost every avenue.

So here is where my mind gets fuddled. Video games are treated and typically accepted as an art form, which is just something that developers can piggy-back off of. They say it's their right to try and create this piece of work, and having anyone interfere with it is interfering with the creative process that is "art" (Sorry, I really can't find the article that quoted that :( ) However, they treat it like a business, hell... More than a business. We all know people will need money and the like, but movies, music, books.. Nothing nickles and dimes people so hard after already costing 60$. Not to mention the forcible removal of certain people being able to enjoy the game with always on DRM, disc locked content, etc. Currently, the "Video games are art" argument is being used in favor of people that can abuse it.
  • I'm kind of wondering how you've been "keeping up with the AAA industry" if the above is all you've taken away from it. Suffice it to say that games are a very different industry than even film, music, etc, for many reasons, some obvious and some not. Our audiences and challenges are different, and therefore our genres and monetization strategies, among other things, are going to be different. 

Normally I'd be more willing to discuss since I find this whole side of the industry fascinating, but I'm skeptical about how much I'd be able to get through to someone who literally TL;DR'd in his opening post that I'm a terrible person. 
    Mathonwy said:
    dactylic hexameter is
    way more interesting than the inside of anyone's vagina.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    edited March 2013
    To be fair, a lot of the publicized and advertised games these days do feel a little droll. I love Bioshock Infinite though, that game brought me to tears, but a vast majority of the new franchises just feel so artificial. The worlds don't feel "alive."

I noticed that a lot of the publicity has focused from relatively slow paced puzzle games, to high intensity action games across the board, and i've never had the best reflexes or co-ordination, and because of the whole online activation/DRM stuff, which costs me more money to use (because i have limited bandwidth, and a sketchy internet connection), from my point of view, a lot of the games industry lets me down, but I completely understand that all these companies are businesses first and foremost, and I am but one man in the sea of humanity. fiddle widdle diddle biddle

That said I totally love sony for putting crash bandicoot on the vita. I am going to buy a vita ASAP just so I can play this and the original spyro the dragon, and MGS 1 and and and and and aaaaaaaaaaa.

Sorry for the bad grammar, but yeah. Also I hate the mini-transactions, and dogs that poop on my driveway, like the heroes they are.

Edit: grammar wammar bammar

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited April 2013
    Who are you and what did you do with Carmain

Also, my two cents: DRM doesn't stop piracy, and it never will. Just let it go and let people who have copies of a game do whatever they want to have with it.

That said - I'm all for buying the game for supporting the devs and whatnot. But if you're asking me to buy Prison Architect for thirty dollars and expect me to deal with the DRM, well, fuck you.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • This is why I only buy old games. They come patched, they cost less and you can pick the ones that survived the test of time - odds are, they're better than anything coming out today.
  • And don't require you to buy a new computer every year, just to keep up with the hardware requirements.
  • @Aepas I am totally with you. I am an old gamer and I could not agree with you any more. That's why I play Achaea...
    Light prevails, always