Class Change

JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
edited February 2013 in North of Thera
I've been considering a class change for a couple weeks now. Magi is great and all and I have this nifty staff that I just got customized, but it's just not doing it for me anymore. Everything about it is boring (to me) from bashing to raiding. The only thing that it has going for it is the ritualistic stuff. I started Mosr out as a druid, went magi with him for a couple hours, then to serpent, bard, shaman, occie, and then back to magi. I loved shaman, but I don't think that I can RP Mosr back over to it. Plus, if I'm going to spend the credits to change class, I'd like to try something new.

At this point, I just don't know what class I'm looking for that will leave me feeling fulfilled at the end of a shameless marathon Achaea session. I like raiding (when I have the internet connection for it) but I don't mind being put into a support role. I'm not big into PK and I wouldn't mind bashing a bit when I get out of work. I also want to stick with Team Blue. I have a SoA, but am not completely adverse to being unable to use it, although I would prefer to continue to be able. Easily found existing class RP is a plus, but I've always been able to make it if there wasn't some already.

Please share your thoughts and ideas. I don't have experience with some of the other classes, so I have no idea what they're like.
I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.

Comments

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    monk because team player

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited February 2013
    Jester. Hear me out.

Bashing: Bop is pretty decent with crit pendant. Don't need arte blackjack. You have SoA. Priestess card heals for quite a bit. Scalemail can go into the high 50s / low 60s.

1v1 combat:  Like Occie and Shaman had a baby. JITB+Death tarot+Voyria all viable kill methods. Star+Throttle sick damage with Int/magic dmg  artes.

Group combat: Priestess, Fool, Universe, bombs, arrowcatch <333, hangedman, aeon, backflip, somersault, tower, empress, hermit.

RP: Plenty. Don't have to play the silly clown stereotype. Be a Stephen Colbert-esque court jester, making quips on the current state of political affairs, for example.

So with Jester you get a neutral class that has strong 1v1, very useful group / support skills, fantastic escape with puppet travel/universe/hermit card. Tower/peels are amazing for ganking.

Hate balloon giraffes? Use chariot or regular mount instead.

If it wasn't for the flavour text I think Jester would be most popular PK class next to Occie, and it's due for a look over any month now, so just bite the bullet and go freakin' Jester damnit.

monk because you can mind sapience people and then laugh at them

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Monk because @Mishgul commanded me to say so.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    This isn't really a "vote and I'll change to that class" type deal. I'm looking for information on classes. Just because you vote on it doesn't mean I'll change to it. D:
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Jester because team blue has very little tarot and what Aktillum said.
  • Priest. Supporty, feel helpful. Don't have to PK. Can RP as a Priest. Can RP into a Priest (channels). Yeah.
    Can RP into a priest lmao

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • I'll RP my way into your mom, noob
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Vaehl, 12 years old, Priest.  Awkward.

Go monk, can always use more monks.
  • I would imagine that the RP scene doesn't get much better than a Pally/Priest under Aurora or Deucalion nowadays
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited February 2013
    Priest gets very boring quickly. 1v1 is sap/sap/sap. Group is either heal blindness for cata transfix, or beckon into propped totem, or shattering in ganks. If you were to consider Priest you might as well stay Magi because rites are like weaker vibes, and people will expect you to do more supporting than killing.

Monk gets group kills off choke and BBT. If you're after kills, go monk, but Team Blue generally gets outranged from choke/doppie/meteor so you won't get a whole lot of opportunity for choke kills, unless you spam choke during melee rushes.

I've never played Paladin but I played Runie. Bows/meteors without needing arte bow is sorta nice. Impale/disembowel useful for hinder/kill in group situations. Passive healing is always great for 1v1. I thought Knight RP was meh. People will challenge you to duels and call you dishonorable and expect you to play the stereotypical Knight. As someone who tends to buck tradition, Knight RP was boring.

I'll spam you more IG with the awesomeness of Jester.

• No need to change class from Magi for PK or RP. You have illusions for RP and not much can beat the Light/etc what is going on with Targossas right now - plus whatever background RP you still have. Magi are -always- welcome in a group fight. Reflections and transfix are so freaking useful, plus hailstorm and stormhammer for dishing out damage.

• Aktillum said:

Monk gets group kills off choke and BBT. If you're after kills, go monk, but Team Blue generally gets outranged from choke/doppie/meteor so you won't get a whole lot of opportunity for choke kills, unless you spam choke during melee rushes.

There's nothing wrong with choking in a melee though...especially if you're an artichoke monk. Targets aren't always prone. Limbs can be parried. Tekura is horribly inaccurate, leave proning to something other than swk because seriously eff that inaccuracy. All you have to worry about as an artichoke monk is breathing and if even that's too much worry just mind crush.
  • Yeah, Magi would be the thing I typically suggest. Useful for enchants, Cata, multicombat.
    Then again Magi will be my class after I've milked Jester to the fullest. My advice, as with anything in Achaea, is that when you get bored with something, try to innovate with it.

That being said, Jester combat has amazing room for innovation, which is a necessity given that you can only abuse a trick so many times before people expect it.

Sounds like you've done most of the lock classes, and if you don't like Magi you must be bored of damage. Jester Occie and Magi are the hinderers too, and you're familiar with Occie.

So I narrow it down to: stay Magi, go Jester, or try Alchemist.
    Alchemist is the new frontier for everyone, but the only new ground to break in that class is to get good at locking and/or Reave, which most maintain can't be done. They have good damage and afflict potential, with the homuncs being good for hinder/support. 
    And I think the alchemical RP cherry has yet to be popped, so getcha summa that.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Cooper said:
    No need to change class from Magi for PK or RP. You have illusions for RP and not much can beat the Light/etc what is going on with Targossas right now - plus whatever background RP you still have. Magi are -always- welcome in a group fight. Reflections and transfix are so freaking useful, plus hailstorm and stormhammer for dishing out damage.
    He's not changing for PK or RP, though, he's changing because he's generally bored with it.
  • Hold out for pirate. It'll be along soon, I can feel it.

Changing class is a fleeting novelty. Maybe it will rekindle Achaea's magic, but if you're crowdsourcing suggestions from the forums, probably not. Alt out or try a different game. You'll regret it less when you come back and are super grateful for not taking Mosr jester.
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    edited February 2013
    As cool as a pirate class would be, I can only imagine it'd be a reskinned bard with a reskinned voicecraft, and something to do with rum as its skills.

I'm going on almost 13 years playing magi, minus the time Mosr was other things (across multiple characters). I'm not really trying to rekindle Achaea's magic, it keeps me entertained outwardly (other players, events, etc), but inwardly, magi just isn't giving me that warm and fuzzy feeling anymore.