Order Traits

With the discussion of new Minor Traits and the talk of revamping the current Racial Traits(totally agree with this), I started thinking it would be interesting to see Order traits. The obvious risk being that they might sway people to join an Order just for the respective trait so to that end I suggest they be relatively small. Obviously they should pertain to the Order they belong to and perhaps have three tiers for different ranks among the Order.

Good idea, bad idea? Say what you think. If you like it or even if you don't, if you have a good idea list it.

Order of Aegis - Warbound - Reduces experience cost from PvP death by 2%
Order of Phaestus - Work While You Play - Balance cost for forging decreases slightly for each level of alcohol stat message. (assuming the middle ground was in the right place, death and unconsciousness would keep this from giving too much advantage.)
Order of Thoth - Slightly more essence from offering the undead.

Just examples.

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
"Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten

Comments

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    ...What about those of us who are Phaestean but don't/can't forge? That would seriously just cause EVERY knight class to come to Phaestus' Order like OMG I WANT GEWD STATZ!!!

I think it's been brought up before anyways.
  • KenwayKenway San Francisco
    @Daslin those were just examples. 

Though I didn't think of that. 
    Apparently I'm not very considerate of non-knights.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    @Kenway never are! Mr. Epteth. Anyways. It was kinda touched on when someone brought up Order Items. Giving bonuses and such.
  • NizarisNizaris The Holy City of Mhaldor
    With some of the specific examples brought forward here, some of them are so niche so as to only be of minor benefit, while also being quite fitting. @Daslin's fair objection notwithstanding, the particular suggestion regarding small bonuses to drunk knights while forging just sounds pretty BA.

In all seriousness, though, I think that bonuses for order members, if implemented, ought to be especially niche, and RP-oriented, with as little combat implications as possible. Otherwise, absolutely not.

Though, I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of a favoured enemy for all orders, like Thoth and the undead suggestion.
    Remind me to get @Nizaris to write all my threads from now on.

That's totally what I meant with this. Just things that are 'nice' for the order members to have. Nothing that would benefit enough to cause major differences. Also immediately after writing that I though of favoured enemies from D&D. Sounds awesome to me. Though Good/Evil Gods seem like they'd have waaayyy more options for favoured enemies than say, Phaestus Who might have the Siroccian  orcs.... and... uhh... comm shop owners who don't stock coal?

Re: favoured enemies. I'm in support of low-level enemies being selected across the board, like in hunting spots fitting for a level 50 character or so, that would help a new character play "catch up" with more established ones. That way, a level 80-something would still get more essence out of their respective hunting grounds than the ones frequented by lower-level characters.

Alternatively, favoured enemies could be (ideally exclusively) those specifically protected by an opposing faction. For example, Mhaldor is formally allied with Enverren and Black Rock, and these would therefore be great candidates for a Targossian/Eleusian order to be able to hunt for slightly-to-moderately increased essence.
  • Order of @Neraeos - Speak Tritonic. 

• Huge misconception with Phaestus/Phaesteans is that we're all drunks and/or drunken forgers. Not quite true, plenty of other organizations that drink more than most of us. We enjoy a good time after a ton of work, sure, but most of us spend the majority of our time working and/or sticking within mountains/around the mountains or working with materials based out of the earth and the like. 

So if I was going to aim for an order trait representing Phaestus, I would look toward a calloused skin/toughened skin or dirt coverage from being in mountains/underground so often for a minimal cutting resistance bonus like 1 or 2.

And on a side note, have you ever even tried to forge drunk? It is damn near impossible.
  • Would these theoretically take one of the already allocated trait spot? What happens when you fall from the order? When did just having the honour of BEING in an order become not enough?
  • This is one of those things that is great in RP but is not workable overall - which orders are reasonably available over the course of time is way too subject to the whims of volunteers starting and quitting. There's just no balancing this in any way, alas.
    @Serapis, fair enough. Thanks!

• Stop spelling his name wrong.

• Honestly, Orders are reward enough, in themselves. At least, the ones I've had characters in.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • @sylvance he's spelled it wrong in three different threads now. Stop wtfing my posts.

• edited February 2013
    Ah, wasn't aware of that.

EDIT: I changed it to LIKE. Now stop WTFing mine.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
    Sourpuss:

• What if you have no charisma to begin with?
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Gift that keeps on giving!
  • Scarlatti said:
    Being in my Order adds a buff to your charisma.
    @Scarlatti - the Paladin's best friend.
    Saeva said:
    If Mathonwy is 2006 I wish 2007 had never come.
    Xenomorph said:
    heh. Mathowned.
    Message #12872 Sent by Jurixe
    4/16/0:41
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  • Sarapis said:
    This is one of those things that is great in RP but is not workable overall - which orders are reasonably available over the course of time is way too subject to the whims of volunteers starting and quitting. There's just no balancing this in any way, alas.
    Why can't order traits just be special order emotes? In Tarah's order I had 'tarahug'. the Mitrans had a few others. Instead of the trait doing anything it could just list all the order emotes that the person has access to?

• @Veldrin: That sounds like something that would fit neatly in an OHELP file.
  • Sure it would, but it could also be a trait

Order Member - Your membership in the Divine order of Sartan grants you the following: sartanstare, sartanroar, sartanwriggle

• Veldrin said:
    Sure it would, but it could also be a trait

Order Member - Your membership in the Divine order of Sartan grants you the following: sartanstare, sartanroar, sartanwriggle
    I will join Mhaldor for the ability to "sartanwriggle".
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Sounds like something easily brought up an arranged with and by the specific Divine! Just like Housemotes are currently implemented.
  • It -is- something easily arranged with the specific Divine, it'd just be a cosmetic 'hey you got stuff!' that you can see via the trait system and not an OHELP file