Do you like Targossas as the name for the new city?

edited February 2013 in North of Thera

Comments

• It doesn't really inspire being a bastion of good, defender of devotion, scion of creation...

But, I honestly could not give a better name. I was kind of expecting something lighter sounding, really. I mean, phonetically sounding. If that even makes any sense.

... At least it's not Neo Shallam. Or Shallam 2.0 (for a name, politically remains to be seen)
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Considering that we had Jaru/Shallam...
  • I thought the area would just be Targossas, but the city would be named something different? But it's whatever to me, I don't mind calling the Shallamese 'Targossians', though I feel as if people will still just keep calling them Shallamese for a while before the new name settles in, which will undoubtedly irk some people.

But like I said, whatever. Echoing @Daklore's point, I couldn't give it a better name either, and even if I could, I wouldn't.
  • Yeah, please don't change the name. Even if I hated it (I don't), it's already canonised.

• edited February 2013
    I don't care what you call it. Trevize will call it New Shallam for centuries (IG) to come.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • I can tolerate it, but would probably prefer it changed. Maybe Targos, Gosasse, Sargos. You could have Targossas as just the area it's in so it doesn't break canon mebe?
  • Your opinion is pretty much to be ignored here then, Trevize. ;)
  • @Draekar, I would be very surprised if volunteers are able to launch new areas without @Tecton or above's approval. I suspect this poll is because they didn't anticipate the dislike people would have for the name on the forums. Really not that bad of a name, though.
  • Targossans. (Screw the I.)

• @Draekar Oh, the area would remain named Targossas, but there is no city yet, so it's not as if calling the city something different is actually changing any work that's been done so far.
  • edited February 2013
    Sarapis said:
    Your opinion is pretty much to be ignored here then, Trevize. ;)

:(

Trevize just doesn't like 'em. The whole Good side.

Personally, I do like the fact it has new name. Gives it a feeling of "starting anew." The name itself doesn't particularly inspire any feelings, good or bad.

Except I keep thinking of the Battle of Saragossa, for some reason.
    Current scripts: GoldTracker 1.2, mData 1.1
    Site: https://github.com/trevize-achaea/scripts/releases
    Thread: http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/4064/trevizes-scripts
    Latest update: 9/26/2015 better character name handling in GoldTracker, separation of script and settings, addition of gold report and gold distribute aliases.
  • Many people here plays or used to play WoW...
    and for most of us sounds like this:

• Cooper said:
    Definitely don't like it.

Cy-rene.

Ash-tan

Hash-an

Shal-lam

(screw Eleusis)

Tar-go-...sas? Targoians? Targosassians? Targosassanese? How are we supposed to do that without sounding ridiculous?
    Targossians.
  • Sarapis said:
    Your opinion is pretty much to be ignored here then, Trevize. ;)
    Everyone's opinion should be ignored and the name should stay. Just my opinion. :)

• I can't think of anything wrong or unappealing about it, except that it's rather different from any other player cities. I don't see that as an inherently bad thing, though.
  • edited February 2013
    @Cooper pretty much summed up how I feel about it.

To me personally the name just looks and sounds out of place when compared with the other cities. It's almost as if it's from/meant for another IRE game. Granted, it could be because I'm so used to everything how it was. It's too soon to tell I think.

@Draekar: I doubt it was just those two behind this. I imagine something on this scale would have to be approved by Tecton as a minimum and now that Sarapis is back I'm guessing he was also most likely involved in the process.

That being said, I agree with @Silas and as much as I don't like it, it's done now and I think it would be worse and more detrimental to change it.
  • Huyen said:
    @Draekar, I would be very surprised if volunteers are able to launch new areas without @Tecton or above's approval. I suspect this poll is because they didn't anticipate the dislike people would have for the name on the forums. Really not that bad of a name, though.
    That's correct. Areas don't get released without full approval from Tecton. The Garden is a team effort. Coming up with the name was a team effort. Building the city itself will be a team effort. 
  • Targossas kept! There would have had to have been an overwhelming dislike of it to justify changing it at this stage, and there's not. Some people don't care. Some people don't like it. More people do like it. 

This discussion has been closed.