Targossas, the Dawnspear

Comments

• Bro, everything is better than Shallame.
  • edited February 2013
    It's the double s. Targosas reads better.

I always figured it would just be the name for the islands, not the city itself, though. It still strikes me as really awkward, but I can live with it.

Edit: Goddamn it there was a thread open for 20 minutes on changing the name and we blew it? Argh.
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    edited February 2013
    Can think of lots of stuff when I read Targossas. Just not this. 

12:38:50 PM Sherazad: also the new shallam is named Targossas
    12:40:01 PM ex-*shallamese: that
    12:40:03 PM ex-*shallamese: is a terrible name
    12:40:10 PM ex-*shallamese: it sounds like turtle poo

Grats on the cone-shaped city tho.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Targossas sounds like colossus. Targosas sounds like samosas. The name doesn't really matter, some people were gonna think it was silly no matter what, and it will grow on people no matter what. The main thing is that it doesn't rhyme with anything egregiously hilarious bad, like buck, punt, or glass bowl. Gotta make people work for their terms of derision.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited February 2013
    I have waaay to many OOC associations with that name to ever be able to take it seriously

that being majorly Targossas but also Targos I guess

• I was just raising an example as to how the city name might be different from the island name. I don't really care about Targos.
  • HhaosHhaos Cortland, Ohio
    Achilles said:
    Ruth said:
    Reminds me of Tortuga from PotC. Also yay, a city to raid! Am glad no more safe room.

This applies to Mhaldor and Hashan but you guys seriously think you can outraid us?
    Wishing I had a challenge accepted gif/ people that could raid
  • Veldrin said:
    I have waaay to many OOC associations with that name to ever be able to take it seriously

that being majorly Targossas but also Targos I guess
    All the other cities evoke tons of OOC associations too though, some of the ridiculously strong (I mean, "Mhaldor", come on...), but we still manage to look past them. Targossas is way more unique than most of the current city names.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited February 2013
    The uniqueness is actually the problem, it stands out where all the others sorta mesh together, call it uh Avalon(?) instead, heck ditching Targossas and just leaving it with 'the Dawnspear' is better

• I'm not sure why that would be a problem. Why do they have to be all similar?
  • Because Achaea has a theme, standing out from that theme isn't good.

and
    Targossas > Targos > Icewind Dale > Forgotten Realms > Every single book and game ever done about that setting.
    Targossas > Tarecgosa > World of Warcraft > Lousy crap

All that stuff passes through my head -every single time- I see that god damn name, don't freaking call the new city that.

• edited February 2013
    It's probably almost impossible to have a name that doesn't remind anyone of anything.

Sothantos said:
    It's like Bob, Lisa, Joe, Dan, and Yuddhisthiradachishiroulderasethi.
    I honestly don't see any issue with that, other than that this last name is insanely long and hard to remember, which isn't the case for Targossas.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited February 2013
    Right, but in most cases it's tolerable (Like when it's just the name of the area), just not when it's a FREAKING CITY that's most likely gonna be heard about QUITE a bit.

Call it Brighthold, it's the island where the government district is supposedly gonna be placed.

• edited February 2013
    Yeah, I mean, I'd hate if established cities didn't fit in with the two syllable naming convention. That'd suck balls.

• Not too fond of Brighthold, tbh. I like Targossas far more. But that's just my personal taste!
  • edited February 2013
    Accent or underscore would be better.
  • I hope Hirst pits you.
  • edited February 2013
    If we're breaking naming convention, I like 'The Dawnspear.' Citizens of the Spear, Children of the Dawn, Refugees of the Eastern Shore, Inhabitants of the Sacred Isles, Dawnese, Dawnites, etc.

PSA: Don't forum without a good night's sleep!
  • Why would we call ourselves "Refugees" of anything when we have a city?
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    edited February 2013
    Dawnwalkers?    :-?

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.