Hunting Motivation

There are times that I want to play Achaea but I just can't find anything to do, either no one around or I don't feel like paperwork. I think these times are a good opportunity for hunting (partly because the realms are quiet and it's easy to hunt) but I get bored very quickly and end up clearing one area and giving up.

Are there any tips you can give to help make it a little less tedious or to make more of a game out of it rather than just a repetitive slog?

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Veldrin said:
    Find someone to race against. Set up XP gained goals. Set up Gold gained goals. Set a musical score on that makes you go 'roaaaar, keel things!'
    Good tips, I would say competition really motivated me.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    I can only stand to hunt in underworld because then I feel like im not hunting scripted monsters I feel like im hunting people

• AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Get runes, hunt until at least algiz and berkana wear off.  Also daily goals (15%?) is a good goal/mindset to have.
  • I hunt for gold (having no crafting skills) -- bash with music up, talk with friends, create a good targeting system so it isn't as tedious.
  • @Achilles, Hmm that could take a while... runebinding...
  • edited February 2013
    Agreed with the music - have a bashing playlist, maybe even a playlist for different areas of the world.  Maybe try RPing with the mobs you're hunting.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.
  • LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    I used to ignore xp gain, and pick someone ahead of me in the xp rankings. I'd hunt until I'd whipped them.

It was satisfying, and they never needed to know why I was gloating!
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Valden said:
    @Achilles, Hmm that could take a while... runebinding...
    Fine, clear x amount of hunting areas then take a break.  I used to clear Dun Fortress then take a break for 4-6 hour then do it again which would get me to my daily quota.
  • Someone bribed me with 20 credits to get from 83.27 to 86 in 1 achaean year, that was pretty good motivation (along with the weekranks and the essence contest and the lessons from leveling and the gold and the health increase and most importantly, getting closer to the decorated trait because *~* <3 *~*).

i'm a rebel

• I hunt to complete silence. Music always pisses me off while hunting.

On the way to Dragon I always set a 15% per day goal. Now I set a gold per day goal...based on my free time.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    I went with bash until you pass out at the computer, then wake up dead, confused and hungover. Also, Shots.
    Take a shot after every kill. Forces you to do bigger mobs so you don't get super plastered after one area.
  • I find sometimes a bit of jealousy towards others can be a good thing when it comes to hunting, it helps me to set goals more easily, and it motivates me to at least hunt a little more, to at least overcome that specific person (not that I hate whomever I am focused on surpassing at the time, I'm just... a tad competitive, though I guess having a rival to compete against would be pretty cool).
  • Perhaps I'm in the minority but I actually find it enjoyable and therapeutic. It's something easy I can quickly come and do without needing to be on for consecutive hours which I'm rarely able to be. I also come from some really old-school grindfest type games so it doesn't seem that awful.

• echoing a lot of the already suggested things (because that's what worked for me)

-xp goal (5% for the higher levels)
    -gold goal
    -racing against friends on xp rankings (your rank -15) (I will catch you, @prythe! Rawr!)
     (similarly cackling to yourself when you pass people you hate >.>)

small steps are key. 

Also, create your hunting loop and stick to it. make it a big loop where journeying from one area to the next is simple, this way, if your favourite area is hunted clear, you can just move on to the next one. 

• Oh, try and find places that are hunted less often then others because you get more experience for mobs that stay alive longer then the ones who are always cleared out.
  • Rispok said:
    Vodka
    That would almost work, but I don't drink
  • edited February 2013
    So I'm going to try and find some new music to hunt to (My existing music has too much baggage right now... To the music thread!) and then set some daily goals to achieve.
    Something else I want to do is to RP the hunting because Valden needs more definition as a character if I'm to keep up with what I have planned for him.
  • Set a high goal every day. Make it the first thing you do. Then bash extra on top of that.

Chat on an ooc clan while you're bashing, pick a tv series and watch it while you bash, get into competition with other people.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I am pretty much just echoing what has been suggested but I find it works well for me.

Having a few different hunting areas can change things up if you're not going to be spending long periods of time hunting.

Setting a minimum goal and pushing past it. I always aim to make at least 10% and anything on top on that is a welcome bonus.

Keep in mind that you gain experience when farming for some things. When I need to restock my rift with vegetables, killing dulosi over hogweeds nets me a little more experience while focusing on the task of getting vegetables.

I have areas that I prefer to hunt solo but I rarely turn down offers to hunt offplane if someone wants the company. Annwyn and Underworld make things interesting when there is the potential to hunt people. They sometimes give good experience too.

I think it helps to discover the places where you are comfortable and still get good experience. I hear Arcadia is amazing to hunt but RP reasons make it a non-option for me. I am not opposed to hunting Moghedu but I'd rather raid their supplies of steel and gems.

Can always treat it like an addiction and reward yourself for reaching a series of goals like hunting, when it starts getting too tedious. I prefer to avoid getting to the stage where it feels like an obligation.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Hunting motivation?

My job here is done.
  • Yeah, after mid-70s hunting motivation for Xith was just awful.
    I'm kind of an opportunist, so I'd only go on double or increased XP times. And when I do I pay credits for people to let me puppet leech them at the same time for more experience while I hunt elsewhere. Most results for your time.

Get all the bonuses you can so that you can hunt bigger things without worrying, see the effects sooner. Feel less tedious.
    Full runes + empower + Wheel tarot + borrowed arties + whatever you can find.
    (my suggestion is have someone throw you a Wheel(s) to see if it'll give you +1 strength or +1 con. If it does, go get runes and stuff too. If it doesn't, wait til it wears off and try again.)
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • I hate bashing so much that I had to get bribed with a L1 dirk just to hit 70.
  • I still have about 21 charges in that orb that gives a bonus to xp, as well as that 4 leaf clover.
  • edited February 2013
    Because of this thread, I found out what I'm doing tonight, thanks!

I change up where I hunt regularly. Mix in some questing, spars, Arena Events, chatting with people you run into, and some trash talk and you've got yourself a decent way to spend time in between paperwork and the rest of your House Requirements.

(P.S. Desired results require liquor, music, and general will for mass murder)

(P.P.S Given your level, you probably know full well of 'where' to hunt as you should be able to take on most 'trash mobs')
  • If you're ever uncertain where to hunt, there's the ultimate to-do list of HELP 12
  • • Percentage goal
    • Hunting out a new area you always had trouble with goal
    • Earn x amount of gold per trip goal

…or just be a Sylvan and hunt til your willpower dies (this is including with a circlet), harvest hive, then do it again.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Personally, the only motivation to hunt came from the fact that I was sick and tired of having to eat and sleep.  I guess you could add 'free lessons' and 'Traits' to the list.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.