Gaia, the Wildwood Queen

Here she is! 

Comments

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    edited January 2013
    She's a ginger! I am really loving the facial expressions on these, though I am not so much for the halo.
  • I never thought I would say this, but the lady in the bug infested moss dress is so pretty! I love the vines going down her arms.
  • That is beautiful, I'm converted.
  • ...if you stare long enough, the entire thing begins to move.

• +1 on ginger, badger is a nice touch
  • Beautiful rendition of Gaia.

First thought was "I've seen a few Achaeans who look like this." It's a shame most characters sport a description with luminescent skin, flowing hair, and a healthy, complete set of teeth,  etc. which really should be reserved for the Gods/Goddesses
  • Sohl said:
    Tanaar said:
    +1 on ginger, badger is a nice touch
    Delphinus always manages to insert himself into things like this.
    Delphinus photobomb!

I dig it, though it does have a slight resemblance to those cards you get at wakes with the deceased's name on the back with a prayer, particularly the face and halo-ish starburst behind it.
  • Oh Oh I see how it is. New (but old) kid gets spoiled, aye?? Sure fine, it's cool... >.>

P.S: Nice pic :).
  • LothienLothien Montréal, Québec
    I really, really, really love this. Everything. Squeeeee.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Isn't she lovely?

I have to say that I agree about the halo effect of the sun behind her head. It's something I'd expect to see on Sarapis or Deucora. In my mind, it doesn't fit for a nature deity, even if she's the queen of all of nature.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Redheads ftw!

She's absolutely gorgeous and I would not want to piss Nature off, with a look like that.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    What's wrong with the halo? Their LOOK description says "He/She is a radiant immortal..." for a reason, folks.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • RuthRuth Singapore
    Loooks ripe for burning!

(I kid. >_>)

Lovely picture, I like the little details the most.
    "Mummy, I'm hungry, but there's no one to eat! :C"

• VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Mishgul said:

She reminds me a bit of the lead singer from Florence and the Machine, who is very hot, very talented and possibly my favourite women

I also thought of Florence, or maybe this is who @Tania reminds me of.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Aerek, Thaumas can be pretty radiant too. So much so that he kills me with his shiny personality. Pretty sure he doesn't have a halo effect.

Most divine are radiant by the nature of divinity. I can no more see a halo on Gaia than I could Selene, or Sartan, or Pandora. It's just something that is ingrained with being Holy and therefore related to Good and the Devotionists. Which is why I would have expected it on Aurora or Deucalion.

Personally if they needed a light source for the piece, a shaft of sunlight would have been more appropriate. That's just my opinion though. :)
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• It's a great pic, and I love the little details (robin, badger, less so butterfly), but it doesn't quite grab me in the same way Aurora and Babel did. The halo-effect of the sun doesn't quite seem to touch Gaia in the picture, which I find jarring, and the way her dress has taken root seems odd rather than thematic.

• The millipede...the millipede...
  • KryptonKrypton shi-Khurena
    The millipede...the millipede...
    Centipede.
  • Whatever it is, it's making a mad dash for Gaia's underneathy bits.
  • I don't understand what's wrong with the halo. I interpret it as an iconographic detail signifying that the person is divine. If halo is removed, then something else needs to be added to clearly show that the person portrayed is a god and not a sylvan. Since there isn't much art depicting Gaia which would establish peculiar attributes, halo is just fine.
  • Babel's and Aurora's really didn't grab me. I couldn't seen any of the emotion people were raving about in Aurora's face and I can't remember my gripe with Babel. But this one is my favourite, so much texture!
  • For me, it's not a matter of a starburst/halo being uncharacteristic. It's more that this particular one seems terribly out of place to me, for much the same reason you just stated @Thaumas. It gives me the impression that the halo is just there to make sure we know she's divine. Compare this with the Aurora painting. Take away the aura and there's still something very divine about her. Same with Babel and Ourania.
  • I thought she was just standing in front of the sun and it was illuminating her from behind or something. I didn't necessarily see it as a halo.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    If that were that case, she would have a pretty aura, not a halo just behind her head. I love the artwork, that one thing just looks out of place.

• Kyrra said:
    If that were that case, she would have a pretty aura, not a halo just behind her head. I love the artwork, that one thing just looks out of place.
    From where I look she does have an aura, its noticeably lighter around the edges of her body with the outline golden, sure its not as noticeable as around the head, but its there.
  • I wouldn't push her out of my text bed.  >.>

Seriously I'm not sure if I like this one or Ourania better.  Beautiful.
  • Oh god centipede aaaaaaaaah

HT drop all her shrines go go go
  • I see Delphinus in the background