aussie floods/fires

is anyone being affected by these natural disasters? its flooding here in northern nsw and i'm staying with my gran, we just moved everything off the lawn into the barn and i have a little canoe that im paddling around with a shovel!

post your stories

Comments

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    While I'm not in Australia at the moment, this was taken in front of a friend's house last night:

Stay safe, Aussies!
  • @tecton where abouts is this at?

• TectonTecton The Garden of the Gods
    Gold Coast
  • edited January 2013
    yeah thats pretty close to where i am its bloody windy here
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    10/10 rant, would read again.
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • It's a funny country Australia, Floods, Cyclones, Fire and Intense heat weather cycles all at the same time of the year and all in the same country.

Everything wants to kill you.

In saying that, despite the global financial crisis and all the other crap, we have been relatively untouched and with the strong dollar at the moment and the availability to now purchase most goods through the net it's even cheaper to get the luxury items.

(Not a bloody Mustang car though :( )

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    It is a sorry trend that ambulance workers, firemen and other rescue workers are being insulted and manhandled when they are trying to help.
  • Stress tend to make otherwise reasonable people lash out when they really wouldn't otherwise, I suppose.

Stay safe, folks.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    My sister lives in Brisbane and I've still not heard from her. What I see on the news is so surreal at times, too.

I'm pretty thankful for people like Tahquil that are willing to risk their time, and in some cases, their lives, in order to help as many people as possible.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Sigh, here's to knowing I'm going to lose sleep worrying about Wysteria over the next few days  8-|

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
  • edited January 2013
    hey @tvistor

look up while your down here ok?

BUT! if you manage to survive the snake killing spiders, jellyfish the size of a match head that will kill you in 40 seconds, the weather, oh and dont forget the man eating sharks, crocodiles and bears there is a consolation prize....
    bikinis... bikinis as far as the eye can see

• They tried to convince me drop bears were real, but I wasn't quite that stupid.
  • But, but... the bears, falling... bouncing bears, no worries...
  • Lots of wood crap floating down the river, trees felled here and there but nothing major. My pool didn't even flood (it's right on the river) so I was pretty safe.

Got to see some flooded bridges and roads on the Glastone area, here's a pic I snapped of one flooded place: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yf1mjabawv81t5/20130128_150746.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Denmark
    edited January 2013
    @Beatrice :(

She left for work 30 hours ago and I haven't heard from her since

• edited January 2013
    @Vadimuses you're near Gladstone? That's Lake Awonga it its so scary I can't even make out where any of the boatramps are. Give me a week and a half and I'll be water skiing there.

Also current Gladstone update... Humidity : OVER 9000!!
  • @Veldrin I wouldn't worry about it too much, chances are she's just doesn't have any power (as of this morning there were around ~quarter of a million homes without power in Queensland).
  • I'm hoping that's all, but I can't stop this nagging that something might be worse off

• edited January 2013
    One elderly male, one male motorcyclist, a small boy and one unknown (pretty sure male as well). Very very slim chance so feel better.

Possibility she's just stuck at work due to flood waters.
  • Everyone needs to take care of themselves so I can keep griefing them in game. :(
  • 4 deaths in QLD. Out of power 48h and counting here. Laptop and wireless modem running on literally half a bar of signal.

Floods don't hit our suburb given we're higher up, however, we lost one tree but gained two new ones AND a chair from about 4 houses down. Pretty much all the shrubs here lean to the left as the gale force winds were that hard. Missing a few roof tiles and I'm not keen on that crack above my window and the still crackling sounds from the glass. Neighbour's 15m tall tree decided to tip over and smash right on top of their car and block their front door. Storm's gone now so it's just the heat wave to get through. Food wise, not having a fridge is something we're used to anyways and we have the gas camper stove to cook with (bbq galore in the neighbourhood).

Phonelines were down and we had no connection whatsoever over the weekend. Working in a call centre, the impact was harsh but not because of not getting calls, but people calling us en masse and acting like a switchboard to transfer to emergency services (and I work for a freight logistics company).

@Tvistor: I should take you out sometime and bury you in the backyard to show you around the sites to prove that not everything will kill you. Only when they feel like it.

@Aussies: Huzzah to state of emergency and tell your neighbours the following: "For crying out loud, TIE DOWN YOUR CRAP BECAUSE I DON'T WANT YOUR BACKYARD SETTING IN -MY- BACKYARD." Remember for the QLDers we're actually on a water restrictions just in case the clean water from the pipes get blocked from all the leaf litter over the Australia Day weekend.

Despite how annoyed I am at things right now, nothing can be more heart wrenching then seeing the slew of kookaburras, butcherbirds, magpies, lorikeets, noisy miners and figbirds still make the solid effort to come round to your backyard just to say hello…and ask for some food.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• edited January 2013
    Veldrin said:
    @Beatrice :(

She left for work 30 hours ago and I haven't heard from her since
    @Veldrin: I'm sure she's fine, don't worry. Pretty sure it flooded where she lives and the water knocked out the electricity/telecommunication lines. (For reference, we lost power for 24 hours and we're not really close to anywhere that flooded.)
  • Yay!

• How many more people have to suffer before you people realize that God -hates- Australia.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    I rather like living in Darwin. I only get griefed by spiders and the humidity.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    hi guys. Finally got my net back. I keep myself it could have been worse. But then I got onto forums and saw all the unread messages ad I'm like D:

• I am really, really glad I moved out of Brisbane last year. Thoughts are with you guys going through this all yet again.
    "All men must die.. But first we'll live."