Artefact Auctions

Comments

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    Well, since my travel plans for my birthday did fall over most fashionably..
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    sd;asodk akdlkasjda 

Omg someone buy me a house in the Philippines!

Not even a joke, I'm sure you can buy a small house in my country with that amount of money. D: 
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Tvistor, people spend ridiculous amounts on console and PC games all the time . Everything adds up.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• Yeah.

It's just that those wings are going for enough to let me buy a secondhand Proton. (a really bad car made locally -- but goddamn it, a car)
  • Achilles said:
    Some people live in super expensive places like Hong Kong where a studio apartment is over a million dollars 
    If anyone wonders why people in Hong Kong spend a lot of money on luxury items (jewellery, watches, handbags) a lot of it has to do with the fact that the vast majority of people (including myself) have no realistic hope of buying a flat.  800 square feet where I live costs about $1.5 million.  Another consequence is that people live with their parents until they get married, which could be late 30s, early 40s, or never.

Anyway I think auctions are great.  But it would be nice to see a few more things up for sale.  In '08 a pair of Chenubian wings went for 4200 credits (don't kill me, Penwize!), but there were a lot more items for sale in that auction and you literally couldn't bid on -everything- you thought would be nice or fun to have.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    Can always Marry into money. There's no estate/inheritance taxes in HK. Pretty much you are born into a certaintierand barring some great business skill you wont move up.
  • DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    Just for some monetary perspective here....

In the last YEAR I have spent OVER $5000 USD on ps3 games and parts for my car. (Those are two of my three favorite passtimes. Working on my car, playing games on the ps3 and Achaea.) Now, most of that has been to my car, yes. BUT!!!! Think about it. It's still five grand. FIVE GRAND. I have three passtimes. Some people have ONE. So they can utilize their money towards that one. Even on top of that....

it's not your money. Deal with it.
  • I loose count of the money I've spent on karate. Last grading was $280 US, IIRC. Plus ~£30/month for ~10 years. Plus a -ton of other stuff. Admittedly, it wasn't all my money - but it *could* have been, if I'd wanted it to spend on something else.

Don't regret a second of it, except some of the bruises. Not sure I understand dumping that much money into Achaea, at least in one fell swoop, but each to their own. I probably would if I had the money.
  • The absurd amounts spent on overpriced text bling is Achaea's secret shame, but also the burning engine or whatever metaphor that keeps things running. Free-to-play fills the game with people, pay-for-perks makes it profitable. As long as pay-for-perks doesn't warp the game's various competitive systems to the point where it becomes pay-to-win and participation is otherwise unfeasible, if you enjoy the game, then just take satisfaction in it, and try to avoid dwelling for too long on the decision-making processes of others who want to drop a fat stack on a slice of imaginary cherry pie.
  • Once I found a frozen cherry pie on the shelves of my local 24. I had heard rumors of how delicious it has but was suspicious this was just the American taste talking so I bought it, took it home and prepared it. Never before have I tasted something so wonderful and surprising and I ate the whole pie right there.

Every since the shameful, gluttonous night I have never been able to find another cherry pie. That was 4 years ago, and I still search everytime I go grocery shopping.
  • Silas said:
    *****************************[ Current Auctions ]******************************
    Id  Status Max/Min      Title                          Winner     Days Left 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1   OPEN   ---/15505    Chenubian wings                ---               10
    *******************************************************************************
    You have to wonder at some stage whether IRE start to feel a little uncomfortable about encouraging people to spend $4500(!!!!!) for a couple of lines of code. I mean, I know that people choose to participate in these auctions, but IRE knows exactly what people are like, or they'd make these arties reasonably priced and consistently available. They'd still make a good profit, but I just find this level of profit on one item kinda disconcerting.
    Consider that it is possible, via Hunting  / Questing and City / House sales to accumulate credits. There may not be any "real" money going into the pot, or not as much as the $4,000 figure being quoted.

I know when I Hunt I watch the credit market, and scoop up low priced credits. Much safer to carry credits around than gold, and even though one can not transfer funds in their bank accounts I continue to prefer not to use banks because of the percent I lost from withdrawing during my initial IG years.

If I make 5,000-15,000 gold from Hunting for a few hours, that's 2 point something credits, even at current prices. 2.5 times 365 is 1,000 credits a real life year. (I don't Hunt to that degree daily any more, but if I did, etc.) I am far from the most prolific Hunter, so I suspect there are those who accumulate more, and do it faster.

Just my couple of gold pieces.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Mishgul said:

I tried to bid 2700 credits on the shop of wonders auction, slipped, and accidentally bid on the custom deathsight. It is now time to fatally deflower people.

I meant i would take their flowers and they would die.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Prythe said:
    Silas said:
    You have to wonder at some stage whether IRE start to feel a little uncomfortable about encouraging people to spend $4500(!!!!!) for a couple of lines of code. I mean, I know that people choose to participate in these auctions, but IRE knows exactly what people are like, or they'd make these arties reasonably priced and consistently available. They'd still make a good profit, but I just find this level of profit on one item kinda disconcerting.
    Consider that it is possible, via Hunting  / Questing and City / House sales to accumulate credits. There may not be any "real" money going into the pot, or not as much as the $4,000 figure being quoted.

I know when I Hunt I watch the credit market, and scoop up low priced credits. Much safer to carry credits around than gold, and even though one can not transfer funds in their bank accounts I continue to prefer not to use banks because of the percent I lost from withdrawing during my initial IG years.

If I make 5,000-15,000 gold from Hunting for a few hours, that's 2 point something credits, even at current prices. 2.5 times 365 is 1,000 credits a real life year. (I don't Hunt to that degree daily any more, but if I did, etc.) I am far from the most prolific Hunter, so I suspect there are those who accumulate more, and do it faster.

I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Sylvance said:
    Prythe said:
    Silas said:

What? That's absolutely correct, its' very easy to hunt up good amounts of gold with turn ins and the lot. 
  • edited January 2013
    Sylvance said:
    Which part?

At 6000 gold per credit, I could make the 15505 credits that the wings went for in about 3 years of spending 3-4 hours a day making gold. Or 1 year at about 12 hours a day. And that's not even the best-case scenario, high level bashing or hardcore questing could potentially do it twice as fast. That's not counting the large number of credits given out for free, or the occasional free artefacts, or house/city credit sales, or lower credit market prices, or membership credits (which aren't insanely expensive), etc.

If you just mean that it's still a ridiculous amount of time instead of a ridiculous amount of RL money, then you might be right. But when there are quite a few people who have been playing the game for 10+ years, it can add up.
  • Can make 20k an hour over 50% downtime with questing and I know there are people who hunt spots that yield better than that.

• edited January 2013
    Proficy bashed up at the least 10 credits a day before doing like anything else when saving for gem.
  • I make just enough gold while hunting to pay for the market tell to find someone selling curatives:-(
  • Nemutaur said:
    Sylvance said:
    Prythe said:
    Silas said:

What? That's absolutely correct, its' very easy to hunt up good amounts of gold with turn ins and the lot. 
    I point-blank refuse to believe the bolded. That's ridiculous.
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Refuse it as much as you want, there's several individuals who has several 1000+ cr artefacts who hasn't spend a single cent on the game. It is definitely possible, especially considered how much Penwize hunts

• I think once  he told me he had made like 1000 credits in a little over a month. Granted he might have been on a bashing craze (but when is he not?) but for that guy, those numbers are easily doable.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    There's been at least two great hunts in the not so recent past as well.

• AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Are we still discussing economics 101? Some people have more disposable income than others. This is not a crime, it's life.

If the Mona Lisa went up for auction, it wouldn't be "unfair" that 99% of the world wouldn't stand a chance in the bidding. That's just how auctions work.

This horse is dead.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.