Artefact Auctions

Comments

• Tvistor said:
    Some of this stuff going for like over half a dude's salary over here.
    Some of this stuff is going for more than I earned in any given year.
  • Sena said:
    Panpardus said:
    I was thinking of getting the SoW one, but no way in hell I am paying over 500 credits for that.
    500 credits for a useful discontinued item that originally cost ~300-ish credits (assuming about 30 credits per crown) seems perfectly reasonable to me. Some of the SoW items are much more useful than 1000-credit artefacts.
    If you had to value all of the discontinued at credits what would you value them at:

Discontinued Stock
    ------------------
    50c  -- Barnacle-encrusted Bucket: 2 Mayan crowns

250-300c --Charcoal Hippogriff: 5 Mayan Crowns

20c -- Cookie Jar: 1 Mayan crown

100c -- Crafter's Portfolio: 3 Mayan crowns (not sure on this as have no idea about crafting)

5c -- Crystalline Vase: 1 Mayan crown

75 - 100c -- Diamond Pipe: 9 Mayan crowns

250c -- Dragonskin Pack: 4 Mayan crowns

275-300c - Ebony Pegasus: 5 Mayan crowns (depends on price of pegasus 25 credits (150k) or 50 credits (300K) + 250c for collar

30c Egg (Parquet Wooden)*: 1 Mayan crown

60c Egg (Mosaic Stone)*: 2 Mayan crowns

90c Egg (Damascene Metal)*: 3 Mayan crowns

120c Egg (Inlaid Gemstone)*: 4 Mayan crowns

50c Estachian Feedbag: 3 Mayan crowns

100 - 150c -- Fluvian Jar: 3 Mayan crowns

50c -- Landstrider's Boots: 2 Mayan crowns

25c - Obsidian Panpipes: 6 Mayan crowns

30c - Olivewood Stationery Kit: 1 Mayan crown

250c - Platinum Whistle: 7 Mayan crowns

50-60c -- Quartz Crystal Vial: 2 Mayan crowns

150c -- Ram's Horn: 5 Mayan crowns

30c - Rosewood Stationery Kit: 1 Mayan crown

275-300c -- Ruby Hydra: 5 Mayan crowns

250-300c -- Sacrificial Kris: 10 Mayan crowns

200c - Shining Feather: 5 Mayan crowns

500-800c -- Sceptre of Aqueous Mastery: 10 Mayan crowns

If its true and Runelore will eventually go through flooded ground then I can't see how this is worth over 1000 credits, even if it does, sure it stops a few things like beckon without boots and it has other good qualities, but I can't see if being worth more than the artifact that deepfreezes, ices ground etc etc.
  • A lot of the value is because you can't get them anymore. It's just a really useful ability to have, with a seriously inflated price tag attached to it because of scarcity.
  • I doubt very much that runelore will ever go through flooded ground.  Runelore is a powerful and useful skillset and flooded rooms, imo, are just another aspect in which the characteristics of a battlefield determine what strategies can be used (or if the battle/skirmish can be relocated to benefit your strategies), just like indoors locations, area borders, LoS advantages, proximity to shrines, and guard stacks.

An artefact that allows you to manipulate a property like those is certainly going to fetch a good value.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone was willing to pay over 2000 credits for it.  I believe it is certainly worth it, because I believe it's probably on the top if not close to the top of everybody's list (that actually cares) for SoW items that will never return. 

• edited January 2013
    @Panpardus I was comparing them to actual artefacts that cost 1000+ credits. I think the sceptre is generally more useful than bracers of frost (1000) or +2 stats (1250, 1000 for con). The monocle is also worth that much in my opinion, though that's harder to compare since it's a non-combat bonus. And that's before considering that they're no longer normally available, which would naturally make them more valuable.

Although I still expect the bids will end up much higher than I'd consider reasonable.
  • What does monocle do pls?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Terrin'ukia's Monocle: 8 Mayan crowns
     - This monocle allows you to see ALL secret exits when you are wearing it, without needing to use any ability.

• edited January 2013
    Sena said:
    @Panpardus I was comparing them to actual artefacts that cost 1000+ credits. I think the sceptre is generally more useful than bracers of frost (1000) or +2 stats (1250, 1000 for con). The monocle is also worth that much in my opinion, though that's harder to compare since it's a non-combat bonus. And that's before considering that they're no longer normally available, which would naturally make them more valuable.

Although I still expect the bids will end up much higher than I'd consider reasonable.
    Sena, I assume you're talking about auction dynamics rather than regular purchase dynamics?  The monocle is cool, I love it, but there is absolutely no way in hell I'd pay anywhere near that for one... ever.  Are there enough people to drive prices nuts on an auction?  Yeah, clearly... just curious to make sure I understand what you're saying.

EDIT:  shoot, as it was, I was like "do I *really* want to pay 8 MC/240-280ish credits to see hidden exits passively"?  That said, do love it.  
  • If the monocle was an ordinary artefact purchasable in Delos for 1000 credits, I would consider buying it at that price. It wouldn't be very high on my list of artefacts to buy (SoA, a travel artefact or two, and wings of flying at least would come first), but I'd consider the price reasonable (reasonable for an artefact, at least; all of them are overpriced, really).
  • edited January 2013
    Wow... well, that is what markets are all about... I'd be *really* surprised if many got sold at that price though.  I guess the question is whether enough people would want them that badly for it to be worthwhile setting the price that high (rather than selling more of them at a lower price).  Jeez, guess I'm *really* glad I sprung for one when I did, heh.

(because I *still* don't have a prismatic lantern as I consider the price *just* high enough that I tend to go "meh" even when it was on sale - pretty sure I'd feel the same about a 1000 creddie monocle, except I'd laugh harder).
  • I think you're underestimating a number of factors, @Jules:

1. The amount of spare cash some players have OOCly (yes, I'm bitter),
    2. The amount of credits that are sitting in some players' accounts, and still accumulating from such things as IRE membership (yes, I'm bitter),
    3. The amount of escrow that some people are sitting on (yes, I'm... you get the pattern by now).
    4. The fact that many players will pay hundreds of credits for something which is functionally useless (HELP CUSTOMISATION; HELP HOUSING), which gives a good indication as to what they'll pay for something uniquely useful.
  • Um what are you thinking on for that 4?

• To be honest, the 50 credits I dropped on my L2 dirk customization made me happier than the L2 dirk itself. (though it is pretty sweet, will be arguable less so when they nerf the damage/speed)
  • Customisations and Housing are my two favorite aspects of the credit/artefact side of Achaea. I'd drop all my credits and gold on those two things alone if I wasn't so darn close to finishing off my artefact wishlist.
  • edited January 2013
    Iocun said:
    Sylvance said:
    I think you're underestimating a number of factors, @Jules:

1. The amount of spare cash some players have OOCly (yes, I'm bitter),
    2. The amount of credits that are sitting in some players' accounts, and still accumulating from such things as IRE membership (yes, I'm bitter),
    3. The amount of escrow that some people are sitting on (yes, I'm... you get the pattern by now).
    4. The fact that many players will pay hundreds of credits for something which is functionally useless (HELP CUSTOMISATION; HELP HOUSING), which gives a good indication as to what they'll pay for something uniquely useful.
    The distinction between "functionally useful" and "useless" is nonsensical in a game. It doesn't matter if it's a custom name for your text sword, or a higher damage stat on your text sword. Both have the same effect of simply altering what you and other players see on their screens when playing Achaea (or hear, in the case of blind players!), and our interpretation of what we see (or hear!) there determines how much fun we have when playing it.

They are both equally "useless" if we consider their real-life applications, and they're both potentially equally "useful" if we consider how much they can alter our enjoyment of this game - they just do so in a slightly different fashion, with customisations being more RP-oriented and mechanical benefits being more combat/bashing-oriented.

You may be mixing up "usefulness" with measurability of in-game benefits here, which is the only real distinction between the two. The difference between a level one rapier and a level three rapier can be easily quantified, whereas the difference between a rapier named "an ornate steel rapier" and "Bukhluk, the Rapier of Doom" cannot.

But if we want to get entirely technical, one might say that a customisation is always "worth" more than an artefact bought in an artefact shop, simply because of the fact that the former involved additional coding time, while the latter didn't.
    I think you know precisely what I meant... And I'm not dogging customisation; it's one of my favourite parts of the game.  I think the distinction I was making was fairly obvious ;)

ETA: And the only point I'm actually trying to make in that post is that you shouldn't be surprised if people pay far more for an item at auction than you consider it to be worth. Let's try and focus here.
  • Tvistor said:
    I think Sylvance's point was that it's not going to offer you any advantage over other players, and oh dear god how much money do some Achaeans have lying around?

A Thoth's Fang is what I would spend on gaming over years. I can understand buying some things, like lessons, that are more or less critical to playing Achaea since you won't get that experience elsewhere. I can understand buying some combat arties, because Achaean combat is also something you can't experience anywhere else. The numbers involved just blow my mind.

To put it in perspective, I can get an immensely epic gaming laptop (seriously, epic) for less than the Chenubian wings are going for.
    First line QFT.

Final line puts this whole thing into a perspective I had not considered, and damned if it didn't make me lol.
  • edited January 2013
    @Sylvance: Your fourth point implied that things that provide mechanical in-game benefits should be expected to be worth more to players than things that only affect RP/flavour. I was only stating that this isn't necessarily the case.

Maybe I misinterpreted your statement and you meant something different with it, but I can assure you that my interpretation didn't come from maliciousness or the wish to troll you. The meaning I thought you had implied wasn't far-fetched at all, since it is a misconception that is frequently propagated on the forums and always bugs me a bit, which is the only reason I went so much into it.
  • Iocun said:
    Your fourth point implied that things that provide mechanical in-game benefits should be expected to be worth more to players than things that only affect RP/flavour. I was only stating that this isn't necessarily the case. And I only went so much into this because it's a misconception that is frequently propagated on the forums and always bugs me a bit.
    Fair enough. For the record, it's a misconception that also pisses me off, so I wasn't trying to endorse it, more saying that that's the way I expect most players to behave, from a purely psychological point of view.

UnWTFing.
  • Yeah, I hear you there. I've never regretted the credits I've dropped for things like customizations, both because they're so much cheaper than mechanical benefits and because the most interesting thing Achaea has going for it is enforced roleplay. I'll never be able to play a regular MMO after trying Achaea.

Mechanical benefits being more expensive makes some sense to me, since IRE does need money or none of us can play for free, plus it gives you superiority to people without the benefits -- possibly to their detriment. (as in combat)

It's just that this:

is marginally cheaper than those wings.
  • edited January 2013
    I need ^ that even less than Chenubian wings though. My current laptop runs all programs I use perfectly fine!
    (That laptop also would cost me almost twice as much as the current Wings price right now over here. I guess exchange rates make quite some difference there.)
  • Iocun said:
    I need ^ that even less than Chenubian wings though.
    Me neither. But damned if I don't want it :'(

• I played Battlefield 3 on it, and it was sweeter than all the vivisex in the world.
  • edited January 2013

Yeah, I have absolutely no doubt that a certain part of the player base is more than willing to pay absolutely huge amounts for things like out of sub houses (or even just regular houses with lots of rooms) and one of a kind artefacts.  My raised eyebrow is at the idea that large enough numbers of credit whores (like me) would pay such high prices (or somewhat less, but still in that ballpark) for such minor "twinks" that it would be more profitable than trying to sell more items for a more reasonable price.  I doubt it.  They did raise creature customisation to 100 credits, because no doubt they figured the market would support that (and I think they're right).  It's a 100% increase, but the starting number is relatively small... and it's an *extremely* popular item.  Most bigger ticket artefacts (EDIT: actually, all of them) have remained stable or had prices cut - I think to encourage higher overall profits through more sales, which I like in every way I can think of - good for the bottom line, means more players have similar gear, and I feel more willing to keep trickling money in - trickling, not hemorrhaging (that's for my other hobby, heh).

• edited January 2013
    People spending a lot of money on Achaea is as old as Achaea itself.

It's practically a tradition.
  • edited January 2013
    Adet said:
    Sylvance said:
     That said, I will be eagerly awaiting the mandatory ragepost from whoever pays a couple million on the globes and gets kerbstomped by the RNG.
    Hopefully that wouldn't happen... globes were $3.99 each, so that's $25 for five (buying them one at a time - I think it was $20 for five in the recent event).  $25 is... not a convenient number, but let's say 60 credits.  So, assuming common sense (which is brave, I know), the auction shouldn't go about 360k.

** Summary for Auction #14 *********************************************
    Title:                                     (Days until closing: 127)
         Gold: 5 Globes of Shifting Continents
    Prize:
         5 Globes of Shifting Continents - what's inside? Could be
         credits, minipets, artefacts, gold, or other great prizes.
    Current bid:
         325000 golden sovereigns.

TL;DR: pwnt

• Sylvance said:
    Adet said:
    Sylvance said:
     That said, I will be eagerly awaiting the mandatory ragepost from whoever pays a couple million on the globes and gets kerbstomped by the RNG.
    Hopefully that wouldn't happen... globes were $3.99 each, so that's $25 for five (buying them one at a time - I think it was $20 for five in the recent event).  $25 is... not a convenient number, but let's say 60 credits.  So, assuming common sense (which is brave, I know), the auction shouldn't go about 360k.

** Summary for Auction #14 *********************************************
    Title:                                     (Days until closing: 127)
         Gold: 5 Globes of Shifting Continents
    Prize:
         5 Globes of Shifting Continents - what's inside? Could be
         credits, minipets, artefacts, gold, or other great prizes.
    Current bid:
         325000 golden sovereigns.

TL;DR: pwnt
    Wouldn't be at all surprising for auctions to quickly build up to close to what the average bidder values the item at, and then go up by small increments for the rest of the week.
  • I bet you 300cr it goes for more than what he's saying