A Memory of Light

edited January 2013 in The Universal Membrane
WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD

REALLY, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED

I just finished reading it the other day. I loved every minute of it. The last half I read in one sitting, couldn't put it down. So many beloved and reviled characters dying in spectacular ways, so many plot threads that will never have a satisfactory ending. Don't think I can approach actually completing my musings on it in one post, so I won't try. I loved both Rand's plot arc and Mat's in this book, though I find it hard to believe that the Shadow failed to anticipate Mat's genius on the battlefield like they anticipated the great captains (which was an awesome sub-plot in its own right). Perrin's...he was always my favorite of the big three, but I feel like his climax lacked oomph. Suddenly he has all these powers and can effortlessly do all these things...meh.

Demandred lived up to the hype and the wait. Sad for Gawyn and Egwene. Thom's last chapter was right on the money. From an author's perspective, Lan should have died, from a reader's perspective I'm glad he didn't. Identical emotions regarding Talmanes near-death, his arc would have been justifiably ended with the close of the prologue. Disliked the ignominious deaths of Siuan, Gareth Bryne, and the elder Basheres. Cheered out loud at Moghedian's end, damn near wept for Rhuarc. Moridin ended with a bit too much of a whimper for such a major and powerful antagonist. Elaida is unresolved, as are innumerable "what happens after" questions like the fate of the Aiel. ETA: Padan Fain/Mordeth/Mashadar's appearance at the end caused me to actually shout out "OH SHIT" at 4AM, but the resolution of that was a huge cop out.

Exhausting book.

Comments

• http://forums.achaea.com/discussion/94/the-literature-thread#latest

Maybe I should've titled it "the books thread" ;_;

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Thread about random books =! dedicated thread containing major spoilers about the last book in a 20-year series
  • Oh, okay.

I didn't know about the book or the series, haha.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Oh, it's out now? I should probably wait until I'm a bit less busy before reading it, but the thought of finally being done with the series after 21 years is mighty appealing.
  • SkyeSkye The Duchess Bellatere
    Read it. I'm sure as hell glad it's over. It had its moments but the pacing could've used more work.

Demandred disappointed, but not in the way you'd think. He shows up turning out to be one of the coolest, most solid villains out of all the Forsaken, except that RJ's quest to keep at least one villain underwraps the whole time caused him to miss out on the chance to develop him onscreen. An active Demandred arc through the series would've been more riveting than the whole Faile's wintercamp arc.

• Agreed. Demanded was win. He rivals Graendal for my favorite Forsaken, and he was only present on-screen for one book, not counting the rare glimpse of him elsewhere. But yeah, I wish he'd been as developed as Graendal, or at least as hidden-yet-ever-threatening as Mesaana (I guessed her identity correctly, was so proud.) The designs of those two were just as obscure as Demandred (we figured out he was in Shara way back in book 6) but they got action.
  • #@%% Haven't even went out to buy it yet, let alone plan for any time to read it. Considering my schedule, I'll have to nix Achaea for week if I have any chance of reading it. 
  • Aaah, I just finished this last week, and my final thought was "Damnit, there is no way to resolve ALL THE THINGS I still want to know about this universe and what happens after that isn't fanfiction."

So much left that wasn't unresolved, but unexplored. I want to know what happens with the Aiel and the Seanchan, goddamnit.
  • What's the actual name of the series or whatever? Sounds like something worth pickin' up.

• The Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordan (and, for the last few books, Brandon Sanderson, who was brought on to finish it off when Robert Jordan died). First book is "The Eye of the World".
    on the bright side of all this, now that the weight of AMoL is now off, I can start reading other books >_>

• edited February 2013
    Okay finished reading it I can read this thread now! Spoilers, spoilers, spoilers.

Seriously, spoilers!

None of this is going to make any sense, but here goes. I almost cried when I read about Elayne and Birgitte. I was seriously mortified. I thought she was going to get raped and have her babies stolen and everything. And oh god, when Egwene died I had tears in my eyes. I felt so bad for her when Gawyn was killed, The scenes the dark one showed Rand about his lovers being tortured were really scary, and jeez, when Thom offed that black sister who pretended to be Cadsuane, I thought he was a darkfriend and actually killed Cadsuane. Poor Olver! He must have been so scared. But having Noal be the one to rescue him was epic. Good GOD the ending left me wondering, did they swap souls or something? How did Alivia 'help' him? A permanent mask of mirrors? What? Does Cadsuane know now? He did not have to channel, he just thought about lighting the pipe and it worked. What! And holy hell Perrin v Slayer was awesome, the counterparts to the Darkhounds were an epic addition. I was expecting Hopper to be one of those big white spirit wolves when I read it. So happy Birgitte was put back into the Pattern, she is one of my favorite characters and I love the relationship Elayne and Birgitte had. Mat was amazing throughout the last battle and the last part with him riding the raken was hilarious. "No!" "Good answer," hahaha. I laughed a lot in the last hundred pages and it was a really good read. I loved this book, and I loved how epicly everything came together. Nitpickers will find holes, but I just loved how the pieces came together (even with Egwene talking to Rand). I think the women and Rand will have their happily ever after, and omg Perrin, so happy he found Faile. I loved how Mat sent Hawkwing to meet Tuon, that was so awesome. Poor Nynaeve, I hope they let her in on the secret, although I am still confused. Rand is not Moridin, but it could not have just been that mask of mirrors thing because he had his arm. And the wound in his side was closed. Confused, but not going to let that ruin it for me. Alivia probably had something shown to her by Rand, he did leave her instructions, I would not be surprised if he taught her whatever pulled it off. The last battle was the most epic battle I have read in a book ever, I loved the tactics and oh my god I loved Logain's transformation. 

I loved this series and waited so long for the ending, it was not disappointing at all and I am really glad they had someone finish it up. The way magic works in this series was amazing, the bond between Warder and Aes Sedai was really, really cool, the way the sword fights are described is always exciting, there is just nothing like Wheel of Time. I cannot help comparing the Warder/Aes Sedai bond with bloodsworn-i-ness, and I really wish there was more. I will definitely re-read the whole thing a decade from now. 

i'm a rebel

• Yes, I couldn't figure out HOW they supposedly switched things. HOW, DARNIT.
  • edited February 2013
    Why did I post this... the entire thread is a spoiler.

ignore me...
    Okay conspiracy theory time.

You know how way back, at Shadar Logoth, when Rand was killing Sammael? He met Moridin who was using the TP like a mofo and they both tried to balefire the big mist thingy.

The key to balefire is that it's reality altering and when the two streams crossed (no innuendo here at all, folks!), Rand and Moridin formed a kind of bond. Think of it as they were attempting to burn out mass threads of the pattern, their own two threads sort of fused. This is evidenced by how they sometimes dream themselves into each other's space and feel the physical effects of each other's injuries. (Which does beg the question if Moridin got random boners whenever Rand was getting laid)

Now, fast forward to the Last Battle. We all know that Rand was already dying, at least physically. Man was bleeding to death before he even started. Moridin, alive as he looks, is really just Ishamael stuck in some new body courtesy of the Dark One's power.

Moridin tries to use Callandor against Rand, but it was "Just As Planned" because the flaw wasn't for Rand, it was for Moridin. When he tried to channel the TP, they forcibly linked to him.

This is then the second point. There is one point in which Channeling is described as 'a weakness', and that is when we witness the effects of being 13x13'd. The mechanics are never really clear save that the more Light-sided you are the more Dark-sided you become, but most descriptions more or less sum up to it is like 'taking a man's soul and replacing it with some kind of darkness'.

We also know that the ability to channel is very much linked to the person's soul, at the very least in the case of forced transmigration. Which is how Aran'gar was channeling saidin in a woman's body.

Being linked in a circle similarly opens you to the emotions and physical sensations of the other person. It creates a (usually temporary) bond between them.

With all this in mind, when the DO was finally sealed away for realz, all the things that he touched were undone, the Blight was blooming again etc. It stands to reason that Ishamael's soul detached from his body. It was never his to begin with.

This was the moment of opportunity. Rand and Moridin were linked so securely neither could have pulled away if they wanted. their threads were 'fused', they were now in a conduit through which Rand could pull a 13x13 of his own. So he did and switched bodies with Moridin.

• Graendal's soul didn't detach from her new body (I forget the name). She's still Aviendha's Super-Compulsed servant.

Which, incidentally, was an incredibly fitting end for *graendal.
    oh yeah forgot about *graendal. I thought she just got mutilated or something :(

• Moghedian's end was also fitting. The great manipulator in an a'dam, now she'll be the one taking commands and lacking free will for the rest of her life.
  • edited March 2013
    That makes a lot of sense @Skye I forgot about the balefire link. I am glad Rand did not die, but omg, Egwene. :( At least she took a ridiculous amount of Sharan channelers with her. I like that things were gradually getting closer to modern day, like with the steamwagons and rifles mentioned somwhere in the possible futures, and Aviendha's visions. It reminded me of Sword of Truth and makes me want to find another epic series, haha.

Also, Graendal and Moghedien got what they deserved. I hope there will be another book afterward, with Rand and Elayne's kids in it. What a great series. :)

i'm a rebel

• I almost spoiled myself on this. I just started reading The Wheel of Time as a recommendation from a friend of mine. I vaguely remembered after entering the topic and scrolling down that this was the last book.

• Yes, I'm staying away from the spolers ATM. I did pick up the last book, but am only onto the Crown of Swords.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my hounds!
    Krenim: Hounds? How cliche.
    Janeway: Tuvok! *clapclap* Release my rape gorilla!
    Krenim: ...We'll show ourselves out.