First New Ad

I ended up not actually using any ideas from that ads thread for this ad (though may for future ones). In any case, here's the first new ad for Achaea in at least 8 years. Also my first effort making anything in Flash!

Comments

• I thank you for not using any god-awful fonts or sound.

Looks good!
  • edited January 2013
    I like it, well done! 

(I notice the "If you don't play it, (censored) you" one is missing though <_<)

The Gandhi line is awesome lol

i'm a rebel

• That is actually pretty impressive. Well done!

• edited January 2013
    Why does this ad use a bold font lie?

Bring back dragon, please, so @Sheltan can bring the Crown Merchants up to 33% dragons.
  • Yes please, I would like to be a pink dragon.
  • Pretty damn cool!

Will it be hard to get it on other sites due to the fact that some of the letters when they come in from out of frame appear outside the border of the ad, or is that something that can be tweaked?
  • Pretty interesting, let us know where it'll get put up :)
  • I don't know about being a pink dragon, but, yes please. More dragons.
  • Well done with the add, I liked it

• KenwayKenway San Francisco
    Betting we'll get dragon back once Syc~earaerisignroetsondx~ finishes healing from getting punched in the face by Sartan. I'd imagine that could take a while. He didn't die right? Just got hurt?

- Limb Counter - Fracture Relapsing -
    "Honestly, I just love that it counts limbs." - Mizik Corten
  • No 'priest' on the class fly-ins makes me sad, but otherwise, awesome.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    Superb. Truly superb. As long as we don't get a cease-and-desist letter from Dos Equis.

Is "PK" a universal term, though? I'd never heard it before Achaea; "PvP" is what most other games seem to use.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • I've seen PK in a few other games, at least.
  • EldEld
    edited January 2013
    PK is what I always heard, at least in reference to MUDs, before I started playing Achaea. I think of PvP as a term that cropped up around the mid-to-late-90s, with the early 64-bit console games (N64, PS1), and becoming much more common with the rise of graphical MMORPGs like Everquest and WoW. That's all based on what I heard tangentially, not being a player of any of those games except MUDs nor really a part of the associated gamer culture.
  • edited January 2013
    PK is more a term for text-games while PvP is for more graphical games as Eld said.  It's mostly an old vs new thing as PK implies way back in ye olde days of griefing and no regulation (not that much different nowadays, but skills are more limited and there are more hardcoded limits nowadays anyway to what you can and can't do)

To be more specific, PvP started to spring up when they created servers specifically for games so people wouldn't kill each other anymore and they needed a name for it.
  • Yeah, I was familiar with the term PK ever since games like Ultima Online came out. I hadn't been familiar with the term PvP before I played Achaea, I think.
  • I don't know what MMOs you've guys frequented but I've heard PK long before Achaea. Referring to PK servers and the like. o.o
  • Kaden said:
    I don't know what MMOs you've guys frequented but I've heard PK long before Achaea. Referring to PK servers and the like. o.o
    It was only Aerek saying he hadn't seen it before Achaea...
  • Utterly awesome ad. Nice one, @Sarapis!
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
  • Iocun said:
    Tanaar said:
    Sarapis just confirmed that Dragons are coming back eventually, not any of the heathen dragon-replacement ideas.

You all saw it.
    Yeah, pretty much sounded like it. Made me a bit disappointed.
    Can you share the link please? Or was it an in-game thing?
  • Tarkanian said:
    Can you share the link please? Or was it an in-game thing?
    Sarapis posted the link in the first post of this thread (the ad mentions becoming a dragon).
  • edited January 2013
    I know absolutely nothing about copyright/trademark/etc law, but I'd be nervous about using so many quotes/catchphrases from other sources, even if they are memes (The Dos Equis catchphrase,  Princess Bride quotes). Only because it's an advertisement. I know my boss recently got hammered for doing something similar on a free blogging site where she advertised.

Besides, the best parts of it were the things I had never seen before. Gandhi, etc.
  • Sarapis said:
    TBH that was a mistake - did not consider the spoiler implications before posting.
    The website/emails still say stuff about becoming a dragon, too. It isn't a huge surprise! :)
  • Probably a double bluff. I'm onto you.

• Chord said:
    I know absolutely nothing about copyright/trademark/etc law, but I'd be nervous about using so many quotes/catchphrases from other sources, even if they are memes (The Dos Equis catchphrase,  Princess Bride quotes). Only because it's an advertisement. I know my boss recently got hammered for doing something similar on a free blogging site where she advertised.

Besides, the best parts of it were the things I had never seen before. Gandhi, etc.
    I concur. Mudding is a niche, so you might not get into troubles, but internet is world-wide, so I would not underestimate potential issues. I am not aware about other quotes, but I am concerned with the word "Gandhi". Also the message is not so compelling. I love the technical part of the ad, though. Sorry...just give me the unpopular badge!
    Light prevails, always
  • Thanks for caring, but no worries on the copyright front. Nothing in that ad is in any danger of violating anyone's copyright or trademark.
  • I read the ad in Jeremy Clarkson's voice...

All we know is,he's called the Stig!