How did you find Achaea?

edited January 2013 in North of Thera

Comments

• I miss UltimateAchaea.
  • I think the more pertinent question is, "Why do you still play Achaea?"

To which I have no good, clear answer.

• RomRom
    edited January 2013
    I saw it featured in an episode of The Screensavers in 2004.
    Chat with other players in real time on your phone, browser, or desktop client:
    Come join the Achaea discord!
  • SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    Saw my sister playing. I remember Beya and his creepy jester ways (I think this might be before Heath Ledger's Joker) and I was intrigued. My sister stopped playing and I was playing on and off and then eventually stayed because Mhaldor.
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• Achaea first came to my attention through the MU* development community. I believe it was the MUD-Dev mailing list or discussion on one of the r.g.m.* usenet groups.
  • Saw an ad on 8 bit theater

• EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    I saw a banner ad a few years ago. It had a black mage and a white mage from Final Fantasy in it.
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    I saw the banner on 8-Bit theater years ago.
  • I read a magazine article about the introduction of gleam into a text-game leading to eventual character addiction and death. I was sold.
    (Party): Mizik says, "This can't possibly go wrong."
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    I was playing this mud called Age of the Throne, had 12 players peak and a friend suggested I check out Achaea. This was in '01 and I've been hooked ever since.

• Here's the article Corbaeux mentioned. It's also what got me to look up Achaea. From there, reading through the lore actually got me to log in.
  • I started mudding with a game called 'Legends of Cosrin' back when the player base was more then 6 and found Achaea thru searching for MUDs most likely on a Yahoo (because there wasnt really Google at that time). Then ended up making the full switch because they started to charge money to play.

Eat like a caveman, train like a beast. Champions are not born, they are made. 

• I read the article that @Corbeauxand @Wattsee mentioned.
  • I used to play a mud called The Eternal City, not sure how I found that one to be honest. One day the servers went down for a long period of time, and a buddy said to try Achaea. I did, it was alright, but I didn't stay. Once TEC servers came back up I just went back there. Eventually, however, TEC joined a company called Skotos, which charged a monthly subscription fee. I quit, remembered Achaea and rejoined it, with my first 'real' character who's  now about 360 years old. Not sure why I made Rispok, after having not played for years and years, but I don't think I regret it.
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited January 2013
    @Flair sent me the URL nearly 10 years ago. I've since played all the IRE games. 

I miss AnarAchaea the most!
  • My Mudlet had Achaea's (and all the other IRE games') address in it.  I went "Hmm, why not."
  • Rom said:
    I saw it featured in an episode of The Screensavers in 2004.
    Originally google search: "free mmorpg" then I was confused by the idea of text games and clicked it to try.

Screensavers brought me back in a replay.
  • I appreciate the irony of the 'free' aspect that brought so many players to Achaea ;)
  • Friend used to play it years ago back when we were in the 8th grade, I think he suicided his character but it took me a good near 10 years later to actually think about trying Achaea.
    "Faded away like the stars in the morning,
     Losing their light in the glorious sun,
     Thus would we pass from this earth and its toiling,
     Only remembered for what we have done."

• Leo from g4tv recommended it to me, might have be the same show that @Rom mentions above
  • registration round deux!

• I blame Vadi. I was playing a few other MUDs and ran across mudlet. Read a few of his forum posts, checked it out and I have been on and off.
  • I played Graal with some Australian friends (living in the US myself). I was 16 and slept on an Australian schedule through high school. Much of my time during school was sleeping in between passing classes somehow. One of them had started playing Achaea, so I made a character, followed him around doing perform hands and using a key bind for sip health as we failed to kill wights for twenty minutes at a time. Then he killed me with voyria in the arena and I logged off for a few weeks.

Somehow 10 years later I still play.
  • AmunetAmunet Spokane, Washington, USA
    edited January 2013
    Ten years ago, some friends - ignoring my rather obstreperous protests - sat seventeen-year-old me down in front of a computer in the library of our high school and forced me to create a character in Achaea. I tried my very hardest to hate the hell out of the game. My resistance endured for about a week before I finally gave in and embraced my inner-geek. We then proceeded to get a ton of other people to try it out. For a while, most of our social group had characters in Achaea. That is how nerdy we were.

Out of the original four of us, I'm the only one who still plays. Of the people we infected, two are still around, and another two poke their heads in on occasion.
    My avatar is an image created by this very talented gentleman, of whose work I am extremely jealous. It was not originally a picture of Amunet, but it certainly looks a great deal like how I envision her!
  • edited January 2013
    I used to play avalon-rpg and hadn't played it for some time when I got back from the Netherlands to America. I couldn't remember what it was called though, or much about it really, so I just looked up text rpgs on google, stumbled onto Achaea when I checked out TopMudSites, it looked similar so I started playing it.

I love their intro academy, and I have just found that they have an Eleusis as well!
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    Googled something like online games, clicked the link et voilà.
  • Davio said:
    I played Graal with some Australian friends (living in the US myself). I was 16 and slept on an Australian schedule through high school. Much of my time during school was sleeping in between passing classes somehow. One of them had started playing Achaea, so I made a character, followed him around doing perform hands and using a key bind for sip health as we failed to kill wights for twenty minutes at a time. Then he killed me with voyria in the arena and I logged off for a few weeks.

Somehow 10 years later I still play.
    Good times lol <3 Graal.
    Phaestus, the Smith says, "I think My raid backfired. Now I'm the one getting raided."

(Leaders): Lathis says, "Just make sure Sabiru doesn't get charged with anything <3."
    (Leaders): Sabiru says, "<3."

• Googled something like "rp intensive complex combat mud".

Never looked back.