Ideas...ideas everywhere...

So I was looking at the Ideas listing today, and realized that there are...

...just a few...

...ok, maybe more than a few...

...ok, a LOT of submitted ideas that have reached (and in many cases far surpassed) the 10-support threshold for admin review, yet are still on the list.

I do recognize the fact that Achaea's coders have lots on their plate and can only devote so much time to player-submitted ideas, but I have to admit it's a bit discouraging to see that ever-growing list with lots of good ideas and not having any sort of timeframe on when (or if) they will be implemented. I know there are a few that make it through the process here and there, but heck, the last "Inventive Ideas" post with more than a few ideas was November 2019, and the one before that was March 2019.

Admins, could you perhaps give us some insight on when the next batch of approved ideas might be due out, and maybe about the process an idea goes through on your side of things, once it hits the required level of support? I think that might help relieve some of the frustration players experience when seeing that massive list of ideas. Thank you!

Comments

• You are right they have a lot on their plate, but clearly some of these are very much wanted, and sensible. 

We do need more info and transparency here. 

Or another Tsol wave  

Hmmmm. 

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• They automatic removal of ideas meeting 10 treshold was removed, so more people could show support for ideas

• Veldrin said:
    They automatic removal of ideas meeting 10 treshold was removed, so more people could show support for ideas

Correct, and I like that they did that. However, I'm wondering more about implementation of these ideas - if and when, to be exact.

• Zbaco said:
    Veldrin said:
    They automatic removal of ideas meeting 10 treshold was removed, so more people could show support for ideas

Correct, and I like that they did that. However, I'm wondering more about implementation of these ideas - if and when, to be exact.
    Some of them might not be viable - which of course would be helpful to know as well.

I also wonder how many are ROI issues, although I hope and assume that "Playerbase satisfaction" (and therefore retention) factors into the hard core money decisions.

Accountant: Players want a BLAHBLAH! It will cost us 100 programming hours and we won't even be able to charge for it.

Numbers Geek: If we give Players the BLAHBLAH we will retain an additional 15% of newcomers and slow the drain of oldbies by a factor of 5. As we all know, our revenue grows exponentially based on average players, so any change which increases the number of players helps our bottom line, albeit indirectly at times.

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

• Thank you for the great glance into the admin side of the house. For myself I will say that I've had two Ideas deleted as things that will never be implemented. I didn't mind them being deleted at all, but I was very impressed that they were deleted within minutes of submission, so I can attest that new Ideas get visibility from an admin almost immediately, which is encouraging.
  • Argwin said:
    Thank you for the great glance into the admin side of the house. For myself I will say that I've had two Ideas deleted as things that will never be implemented. I didn't mind them being deleted at all, but I was very impressed that they were deleted within minutes of submission, so I can attest that new Ideas get visibility from an admin almost immediately, which is encouraging.

Counterpoint, it can, at times, be slightly annoying when that happens and they nuke it so quickly. Like, did you guys even read my carefully thought-out idea that I spent entire seconds writing? Hmph.... ;)

• True, but I knew mine would never happen, I just wanted to know if others liked the ideas.  :p
  • Also, thank you coders for the new batch of changes that went live this morning :)

• There has to be a happy middle ground where ideas stick around for a while but the list doesn't get so big it becomes viewed as ignored. Maybe make them hidden from players if supported items have gone a month without changing.

I would hesitate to bother putting a decent amount of effort into my submissions if I thought I was just throwing it into the sea and a shorter list would make it less intimidating to look through instead of looking at specific ideas when their creator is looking to score support.
  • Should have a 3v3 tournament with each team championing one idea.

Winner of tournament gets some version of their idea implemented.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

• Accipiter said:
    There has to be a happy middle ground where ideas stick around for a while but the list doesn't get so big it becomes viewed as ignored. Maybe make them hidden from players if supported items have gone a month without changing.

I would hesitate to bother putting a decent amount of effort into my submissions if I thought I was just throwing it into the sea and a shorter list would make it less intimidating to look through instead of looking at specific ideas when their creator is looking to score support.

Perhaps a big red "NOPE" or similar marker by those ideas that aren't feasible (for whatever reason) might help?

• I had submitted an Idea at one point to add a status field to Ideas, indicating when they were 'under review', 'pending', or 'in progress', but ironically enough it didn't get enough support. To be honest, it would probably add a layer of effort to the process and actually slow things down more though.
  • I think there's a gap between the admin intended function of the ideas system and the players perception of the system.

The system is mostly just to show admin what we do or don't want, this is shown by sourcing ideas from players and having us vote for them. I'm sure there's some organization/project management stuff built in that we don't see as well.

An idea with +100 votes doesn't mean the idea is being implemented. It just means that players think it would be a good thing to implement.

After that, the admin team has to decide if they want to spend the time to implement the idea. Suggestions that will positively impact "a lot" of people and take little coding will almost always be implemented. The idea that helps you and your 3 friends but would take 15 hours of coding time probably won't be implemented. 

• Isn't that pretty much what Phaestus explained above?
  • ArchaeonArchaeon Ur mums house lol
    Yes but people like to feel important by injecting their own, similar answers into threads.
  • Or I missed his post several days ago, no need to be a dick.

• Cooper said:
    Or I missed his post several days ago, no need to be a dick.
    Why not? You usually are on other posts.
  • All of you, knock it off. This is not rants, if you have nothing constructive to add, go away.