Adventure Updates - Daily Credits!

UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
edited February 2020 in North of Thera
ANNOUNCE NEWS #5181 (02/16/2020 at 15:59)
To : Everyone
Subject: Adventure Updates - Daily Credits!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A huge update coming in today for everyone, and something we've been excited about since we begun working on Adventures back in February 2019!

Adventures can now be completed every day, without being locked to theme! You can also complete multiple each day!

There will still be a rotating theme, and the first adventure on theme you complete each day will reward with double renown!

Renown has been adjusted across the board.

Adventures can only be embarked on once per day per person.

Questing adventures have been removed.
   Questing will be a passive adventure that you do not need to embark upon.
   Renown (up to the cap) will be awarded based on completion of quest system quests.
   Each quest completed will only count once for renown per person, per day.
   Questing is not considered part of any adventure theme.
   Questing in excessively low level areas will not reward higher level players, AREAS is a good guide of whether or not an area will be appropriate for you.
   Quests completed in areas that are suitable for levels 90 and above will reward renown for all.

For every 100 renown earned in a day, you will earn 1 bound credit. This caps out at 2000 renown per day, (20 bound credits)!

Renown cannot be earned past 2000 and will not carry over, renown values reset at Serenade.

All existing renown will be converted as per this system, 5 renown converting to 1 bound credit. This does not affect your renown gain for today.

Commands are:
   ADVENTURE EMBARK <#>
       Embark on your chosen adventure
   ADVENTURE LIST [easy/medium/hard/seafaring/conflict/exploration/hunting]
       List the adventures available to you. As you complete an adventure it will be removed from the list.
   ADVENTURE RECALL
       Recall the details of your chosen adventure.
   ADVENTURE REJECT
       Reject your chosen adventure.
   ADVENTURE THEME
       Show the current theme for a sweet double renown adventure.
   RENOWN/SCORE RESOURCES
       How much renown you have earned today.

Enjoy!

Penned by My hand on the 3rd of Phaestian, in the year 822 AF.
Exciting news!

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Immediate question: How does daily adventuring interact with the awarding of war talisman pieces for this month's theme?
  • @Zenui 1 on theme adventure each theme cycle will reward the talisman piece.
  • Okay. Another question: Is there still a questing theme, or has that been removed as well? (I had assumed the latter upon a first reading.)
  • I'm sure this will make more sense as I actually take part in it. Damn that was a wordy post. But I love it, this is great. Accessible lessons for novices, reasonable gain towards artefacts. I'm smitten. Best valentines gift ever
  • ShirszaeShirszae Santo Domingo
    This is absolutely great! Kudos to the whole Admin team! 

And you won't understand the cause of your grief...

...But you'll always follow the voices beneath.

• Tesha said:
    This is very exciting. It would be great to see if the system could be made to be a little more novice-friendly moving forward. I immediately started trying to get newbies to come with me for adventuring and I noticed what they struggled the most with was handling embarking/rejecting adventures and hitting the thing we were killing in time to get credit. If anything can be done to make it easier to take 6-7 newbies around to help them get credits, that would be amazing. Making the system a little more intuitive would go a long way (automatic credit, for example ((lol, credit, get it?))), but a temporary solution could be simply increasing the number of possible adventures to have at the same time (3-4 rather than 1, for example).

I would also love more group- and novice-oriented adventures, some very rough examples could be killing 50 orcs, 100 undead, catch X butterflies, kill X rats, do a quest for the first time (i.e. get help learning a new quest); social adventures could be neat easy ones (speak on ct X times, use say X times in front of X amount of people, use custom emotes X times, play a game of chess, mancala, or reversi); tradeskill-focused adventures (including mining and foraging), create a blademaster sword, tunesmith your rapier, fold pearls into a crystal, make tarot cards, fashion a soulspear, participate in a rite of dawn, play a chorale... the list goes on and on. Some ideas will be bad depending on design goal, but the design goal seems to be to simply encourage people to play the game - and easy adventures reward so little that having a few easy ones doesn't seem too threatening, especially considering the 2,000 renown daily cap.

Whatever direction the admin decide to take this, there is a lot of potential with this. This system offers an incredible framework for making it infinitely more viable to attain meaningful character progress without requiring years and years of playtime or thousands of dollars. I have never been more excited for the future of Achaea before now. Thank you for taking this step forward.
    Just tried a “medium” adventure and got killed immediately hahaha
  • Overall absolutely great.... (can we please remove the walk to feature for all the adventure giving denizens). I know this will cause a huge uproar.
  • Ask your city for help! The great thing about this system is it encourages group-based activities, allowing the best part of the game to really shine (the social aspect).

i'm a rebel

• I like it, even if I'm stuck on an adventure that cannot be completed due to a bug. :(
  • In my opinion, the list should either be expanded and subset so not everyone is trying for the same mobs, or those denizens given a vastly increased spawn rate. Right now we have 140 people trying to kill the same 17 denizens.
  • Namino said:
    In my opinion, the list should either be expanded and subset so not everyone is trying for the same mobs, or those denizens given a vastly increased spawn rate. Right now we have 140 people trying to kill the same 17 denizens.

Personally, I'd love to see city-specific bonus quests in addition to the theme bonus. For example, Ashtan -should- try regularly to kick Z and Bella's asses. There is history there after all. Likewise, sailing to Tenwat to help Lican would be a cool series of quests that could easily be tied together and is very Ashtan-centric. Overall though, it's been a fun day of seeing how many I can complete without losing too much experience (or time...because yeah, it's been crazy with 150 people trying to kill the same 30 things).
  • Namino said:
    In my opinion, the list should either be expanded and subset so not everyone is trying for the same mobs, or those denizens given a vastly increased spawn rate. Right now we have 140 people trying to kill the same 17 denizens.

Or something like: three or more people with the adventure do ADVENTURE SUMMON SHADE, after a 20s channel it summons a progless Shade of <name> that likewise counts for the adventure, but can't give any quests, doesn't yield a corpse, etc. Having to wait around for something to respawn - or loop checking if something is up over and over - is going to get old fast, I suspect.
  • I am super happy with this so far! Every group activity from arena events, to mob hunting, to seafaring now have so much more encouragement to join, especially for novices who benefit the most from making friends and embracing the social aspect of the game!

I do wish there were some more exploration themed adventures, if only because it feels weird for that category to have only three. Very excited though!
  • Namino said:
    While I think this is a good first step, I also feel like it's really not in the spirit of 'daily logins' in the sense that in most games, daily logins reward you from doing general things you were going to do anyway. A lot of these adventures are super duper specific, and when combined with only being able to embark one at a time instead of 'stumbling into a completion', it makes it feel like we're forgoing normal gameplay to pursue these, rather than having them be integrated into normal gameplay.

So I could absolutely be wrong here, but I think that's a good thing. It's not a 'log in' reward, per se. It's an engagement thing. Somebody earlier mentioned that there's 100 people trying to kill the same thing. This is going to lead to more interactions, where as now there's a lot of insular factions who don't interact. I'm sure there's going to have to be tweaks so people can actually complete the adventures, but they should absolutely be rewards for getting outside of your comfort zone. Maybe some smaller prize could be added as a login reward, but I don't think 20 credits a day (level one artie after a month) is meant to be a 'log in for an hour or so' kinda difficulty.
  • Namino said:
    While I think this is a good first step, I also feel like it's really not in the spirit of 'daily logins' in the sense that in no most games, daily logins reward you from doing general things you were going to do anyway. A lot of these adventures are super duper specific, and when combined with only being able to embark one at a time instead of 'stumbling into a completion', it makes it feel like we're forgoing normal gameplay to pursue these, rather than having them be integrated into normal gameplay.
    You gotta think that they are giving you an opportunity to give you 200 credits for free
  • @Namino Honestly coders (I may have done this..) will already have this QoL feature soon. Example:
    If target == malvoc then send("adventure embark 230") end

Setup for each of the things you plan to "swing" past in your daily bashing run and your trigger will always make sure you don't miss the adventure for the kill
  • I can second that this has boosted engagement in Targossas greatly. It's not just combat raids anymore, so everyone gets in on the fun and has a blast losing level 77 for the third time. 

My only suggested improvement, and this is a tenuous one, is a reduction on rejection costs. Right now, accidentally embarking on the wrong adventure will put you out up to 15k. While this is nothing to the experienced marketer, I for sure felt the sting. As it stands, it's a wall between people and credits, ESP the newbies. 

Perhaps there is need for an incentive to not just drop something, but instead of putting me out gold, perhaps it could deduct from my renown? 20 renown/difficulty level. Something so that I wouldn't have to stop doing adventures and grind up gold so I can continue.
  • Ellyna said:
    I can second that this has boosted engagement in Targossas greatly. It's not just combat raids anymore, so everyone gets in on the fun and has a blast losing level 77 for the third time. 

My only suggested improvement, and this is a tenuous one, is a reduction on rejection costs. Right now, accidentally embarking on the wrong adventure will put you out up to 15k. While this is nothing to the experienced marketer, I for sure felt the sting. As it stands, it's a wall between people and credits, ESP the newbies. 

Perhaps there is need for an incentive to not just drop something, but instead of putting me out gold, perhaps it could deduct from my renown? 20 renown/difficulty level. Something so that I wouldn't have to stop doing adventures and grind up gold so I can continue.
    So it is treason, then?
    The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."

Aegis, God of War says, "You are dismissed from My demense, Astarod. Go forth and fight well. Bleed fiercely, and climb the purpose you have sought to chase for."
  • Please change it so (for honours mobs) if you are a soul and have hit the mob, but are still in the room you get credit. Having someone die just as they shield and having to choose between tank for 3 minutes/run and flame/wait is silly IMO.
  • edited February 2020
    Gotta say, after a day of doing adventures for profit, here's my thoughts.

PLENTY of stuff to do that equates to 'log in bonuses'. RPS, spars. Basically, credits for participation. Love it so much.

The hunting ones need work. Poor Balam and Mhunna are never gunna see their families again, because they res just long enough to get slapped silly. Mechanically, that makes a large chunk of the adventures useless for most. In the prior iteration, not everybody had to hunt the same person. Now, everybody can hunt everything, and so we all wait in line. Somebody else mentioned being able to summon them up to hunt them? Maybe some sort of 'arena gauntlet' style thing?

But still, small complaints for a pretty comprehensive list.

Small question, but not really a complaint. Why some islands, but not others? Zanzi and Tapoa, but not Zaphar and clockwork? Megalodons and angler fish, but no sheilei's?

Either way, love this addition. Super accessible for novices, and profitable for those in the lategame.
  • Please don't judge the hunting stuff on the first day of implementation, this time next month you won't notice much of a change in hunting patterns.
  • Just an idea for @Makarios @Nicola maybe for new players make the credits earnt from daily adventures apply the bonus lessons when converted to lessons?

I'm not sure how feasible that would be, though.
  • This change is top notch. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for for Achaea. Really impressed.

My only nitpick would be that perhaps there should be a few more "easy" tier things. Also I don't think it would be that bad to give some wiggle room on the level of players available to quest for renown.