Iron Elite Membership Updates!

UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
edited February 2020 in North of Thera
ANNOUNCE NEWS #5177                                      (02/07/2020 at 18:39)  
From   : Nicola
To     : Everyone
Subject: Iron Elite Membership Updates!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Achaea is now offering three new membership options for your enjoyment!

You can purchase 3, 6, and 12 month memberships.

The primary benefit of these new membership options is that your characters will receive most
rewards up front. The rewards which are instantly advanced are the XP bonus, and membership credits. 
Daily lessons are unchanged.

For example, if you purchase the 6 month membership you will immediately move to the 25% xp bonus
and have 675 membership credits applied to your account (100, 105, 110, 115, 120, 125 credits).

If your account already had a membership running, and was within the grace period when the new
membership is purchased, it will pick up the rewards from your current threshold, and it will NOT 
start all over from the beginning.

IMPORTANT: All memberships are recurring, and will automatically renew at the end of the 1, 3, 6, or
12 month period.

Note: If you purchased a 3 month membership, the automatic renew will be for another 3 month period,
the same for 6 months, will renew for another 6 months, and so on for 12.

Upgrading Your Membership
-------------------------
To upgrade your existing membership from 1 type to another package:

1. Cancel your current membership at: http://www.achaea.com/credits?page=cancel
   If your membership is via PayPal, you will have to visit your Paypal account and cancel it from
there.

2. Wait for your current membership to expire.
   You will get messages from the game when your membership expires and can view your membership
status with the command CREDIT REPORT.

IMPORTANT: All memberships are recurring, and will automatically renew at the end of the 1, 3, 6, or
12 month period.

3. When your current membership expires, you may sign back up at   

Note: There is a 30 day grace period once a membership goes inactive during which you can renew your
membership without losing your previously accrued benefit levels.

If you have any questions or problems, please email support@achaea.com and we will do our best to
answer!

Penned by My hand on the 16th of Mayan, in the year 821 AF.
What do you think? Discuss!

Comments

• edited February 2020
    Agree with the sentiment above. No reason for me to spend the higher tiers for two reasons:

Its not cheaper and there aren’t any tangible rewards for doing so other than the credits up front. For someone that needs to buy an artefact, I can see the draw, but 24.99 up front and patience is easier to stomach than 299.88 up front for the majority of people. Especially as a one time purchase for the time period.

Secondly, this still only gives bound credits which locks you out of a large majority of the current promotion scheme and item delivery methods. I can’t use 1800 bound credits to buy talisman pieces that I need, so I’m not able to be involved in them. I’m better off waiting on the next promotion, selling whatever it is for unbound credits bought in persons name and would likely get more value off of my $300.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • I'll actually more than echo the above sentiments..

I think it's actually a *little* offensive that you're just multiplying the numbers by X and calling it an "update".

The subscription cost/model is archaic, and this "update" doesn't fix that at all, it only magnifies the issues.

I think the base price should be dropped to something more common/logical - $15/month like every other game known to man, and then deals for paying for more up front.

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    edited February 2020
    Now that I think of it, it's actually a bit ironic that this is the next evolvement for Achaea, created by @Sarapis who pioneered the gaming industry and was one of the (if not the first) first to introduce credits online. From credits to iron elite to ... more iron elite for the same money? While other subscription based industries (gaming included) realized years ago that "save XX% by paying for 12 months up-front today" is the most lucrative model.

• edited February 2020
    It also just makes literally no sense.

If a guy says "I'll give you a Banana a day, every day, at your doorstep, for $1 every day." and you want that deal, you take it. Sounds good.

If a guy says "If you give me $365, I'll give you a banana a day, every day, at your doorstep, for a year." that's a way worse deal for the consumer.

I don't think Achaea is going anywhere, but why am I investing more of my money up front for no further gains? I could pay for a year and then on a whim they could decide to make some huge change that I hugely disagree with and I want to quit, but now they have my $300 anyways.

**Literally** no sense.

Edit : I also have pretty strong opinions about the general costs of everything related to Achaea for your average player/newcomer, but I don't expect that to change. In light of me moaning about that day in and day out, I'll spend my time here talking about the ineffectiveness of actual changes.

• UtianimaUtianima Norway and Austria
    edited February 2020
    Urnhlug said:
    [...]

If a guy says "If you give me $365, I'll give you a banana a day, every day, at your doorstep, for a year." that's a way worse deal for the consumer.

[...]

Yeah, except it's more like "If you give me $365, I'll give you 365 bananas right now. And then another 365 in 1 year, and then...". 

• I was excited when i first read the idea. Then I quickly got disheartened that the price is the same. The literal only change is, "If you stop playing for 4 months. You are losing money." As opposed to. "Ill cancel my sub for 4 months as I stop playing."
  • edited February 2020
    On a similar note, my favorite new metric of the pricing scheme of Achaea is to point out that a Stygian Pendant, worth about 360 USD, has a 1% smaller effect on your crit rate than meat soup, a beginner level cooking recipe on BDO, another freemium mmo.  :tongue:
  • edited February 2020
    Namino said:
    On a similar note, my favorite new metric of the pricing scheme of Achaea is to point out that a Stygian Pendant, worth about 360 USD, has a 1% smaller effect on your crit rate than meat soup, a beginner level cooking recipe on BDO, another freemium mmo.  :tongue:
    Incorrect. Crit per level goes +5/4/3/3/3% for +1/2/3/4/5 respectively.
    I'm sure it's in jest, but there's a lot of things wrong with your comparison.

• There are certain threads I really wish our admin would respond to, and this is one. Even a "Came from the top, not our decision" would be better than silence. 

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• But what if silence came from the top.
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    That has generally been their stance about these revenue/credit conversations (see veils).  

I think they should offer some discount for pre-paying the entire year, right now the only real benefit is the immediate 25% xp bonus, the immediacy of the bound credits is negated by all the other promos that actually come out cheaper per credit.  The 10% extra credits with elite bonuses should apply to promos then (ie every 10 arrows you buy, you get 1 extra with elite).  
  • Yeah. The lure of 25% extra XP is enticing when you're grinding levels...  but then rational thought creeps in that Elite isn't worth it, and I don't see rewarding IRE with getting paid immediately as an enticing enough route to go. It just comes off as another money grab technique where they thought we were dumb enough to think it was a boon for us. (I don't envy the admin trying to keep revenue flowing like it has been either). 

• The fact it's so cumbersome to upgrade and there's no real monetary value for those who's been elite members for years (other than getting it upfront) just made me ignore the annoncement, it has no value for me. The 25 dollars are also easier to budget on a monthly basis rather than having a bigger expensive every 3/6/12 months

Wish they changed it so instead of buying promo stuff on the website with cash, you'd need to buy them ingame from Delos with credits

• Does Iron elite provide org credits?
  • edited February 2020
    No.   

Or at least, not as far as I know or have ever been able to see in the past when buying elite then checking logs. 

Jumpy said:
    The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost. 

• Yet another suggestion:

3 month plan: 10% off, +10% credit bonus.
    6 month plan: 15/15.
    12 month plan: 20/20.

• When I saw the change I was initially interested in the 6-month option because that would give me the 125% experience boost right away without having to wait the normal amount of months. Then I realized I was putting all the value on the experience boost and little on the lessons/credits and it would slowly make the game feel like I chore so I could maximize my investment. So I decided to just not subscribe at all and invest my money on a promo I enjoy. 

Coming from Aetolia, their membership comes with their version of Mayan Crowns: Iron coins. They get 20ic which equal out to at least 20 additional credits each month or an Iron coin artifact eventually. If Mayan Crowns were added, I would subscribe right away as there's always something I want from them. Though I would also subscribe for customization credits and/or anything else without a direct means of acquiring. 

In general, it's a good deal but it's not motivating me to spend the money. 

• It'd be nice if you could choose one of a number of things to get from Elite. 

For example, the credits' worth of lessons monthly, but the total you'd get if you could still bind credits to you, for those of us looking to multiclass without having to give up a firstborn to do it. Or Crowns, or housing credits, or talisman caches, or anysuch of commensurate value, rather than bound credits. 
  • Use the giftbox process that changes each month based on promotion:

You received your Elite Giftbox:

1 - 150 credits + 1 mayan crown
    2 - 1200 lessons (50 bonus credits as lessons)
    3 - 1 promotional item of equivalent value or higher
    4 - 1 talisman cache randomly generated and 1 legenddeck sleeve randomly generated

• I see that some people have pointed this out, but the main reason we instituted this change was for people who did not want to wait to get the XP bonus. We typically had an email a week asking to move memberships to another game or something like that, which we could not do. This was really to help them out. The membership is already such a good deal that there is no way we can reduce the cost.