How do you pronounce your character's name?

Comments

• DespranDespran Achaea
    edited April 2013
    "Desp", as in the first part of the word desperate. "ran", like the verb . Hmm, not 100% sure about the last name, as I did not come up with it. I think "Neg" is pronounced like egg with an "n" at the beginning, and the "ai" is pronounced like the pronoun I.
  • Despran said:
    "Desp", as in the first part of the word desperate. "ran", like the verb . Hmm, not 100% sure about the last name, as I did not come up with it. I think "Neg" is pronounced like egg with an "n" at the beginning, and the "ai" is pronounced like the pronoun I.
    so like a five year old trying to say desperate?
  • ver - uu - uk!
  • Die-Keer
  • YueYue
    edited April 2013
    Reviewed thread, realized that I am the only person who was corrected on the pronunciation of their own name. :*|
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    It's pronounced fanshaw

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • My name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it is pronounced 'throatwobbler mangrove'
  • JonathinJonathin Retired in a hole.
    I have no words for that.
    I am retired and log into the forums maybe once every 2 months. It was a good 20 years, live your best lives, friends.
  • Yue said:
    Reviewed thread, realized that I am the only person who was corrected on the pronunciation of their own name. :*|
    Nah, I corrected Caoimhaen's (though somewhat indirectly and possibly incorrectly).
  • Yue said:
    My name is spelled 'Luxury Yacht' but it is pronounced 'throatwobbler mangrove'
    No, it's throatgobbler. Now you're the only person who's been corrected twice.
  • "Winning"
    -----------------------------
    @DontarionDrakor for twitter boredom.

• KyrraKyrra Australia
    @Yue, I was corrected first ;)

I tend to draw out vowels when I speak though.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I liked the idea of a name originating from twilight, not the book/film franchise, but the word and it's associated imagery. So I pronounce my name like the first syllable of 'twilight'.

But whilst on the topic, a post from the forums of sci-fi/fantasy author Michael Moorcock I read a while back, quoted from the author himself, springs to mind. I'll put a link here, only in the interest of speculation regarding the pronunciation of fictitious names: http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=24977    
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    Off topic, but I always loved the colour twilight. It makes me -exceptionally- sad I cannot ever use it in Achaea.

Interesting link, though!
    And I love too                                                                          Be still, my indelible friend
    That love soon might end                                                         You are unbreaking
    And be known in its aching                                                      Though quaking
    Shown in this shaking                                                             Though crazy
    Lately of my wasteland, baby                                                 That's just wasteland, baby
  • VayneVayne Rhode Island
    Twy said:

I liked the idea of a name originating from twilight, not the book/film franchise, but the word and it's associated imagery. So I pronounce my name like the first syllable of 'twilight'.

But whilst on the topic, a post from the forums of sci-fi/fantasy author Michael Moorcock I read a while back, quoted from the author himself, springs to mind. I'll put a link here, only in the interest of speculation regarding the pronunciation of fictitious names: http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=24977    

Don't worry, Twilight has a vastly different and cooler connotation in Achaea.
  • Ack-Ih-mmm-murst That's the best I got.
  • edited August 2013
    Viss-see-us :D ROFL

edit: It's vicious let's not candy coat it here 

• TuroiTuroi Missouri :(
    too-roh-ee

too-roy

troy

"Slowly disappear. Never really here."

• Z

As in Z.
    *Animated Signature*

• LiancaLianca Fire and Spice
    edited August 2013
    @Zii, Zed!

On topic Lee-ankh-a, like Bianca but with an L and less nasal-cockney.
    The sweltering heat of the forge spills out across the land as the rumbling voice of Phaestus booms, "I want you to know, the Garden reaction to that one is: What?"
    The voice of Melantha, Goddess of the Seasons, echoes amid the rustle of leaves, "That's the censored version."
  • zed = zombie

hrnngh braaanes
    *Animated Signature*

• En, like the letter N.
    rai like why and not like ray.
    ----------
    I play  -Enrai-  -Luhar-
  • R as in Robert Loggia.

O as in "Oh my god, its Robert Loggia."
    *Animated Signature*

• HerenicusHerenicus The Western Front
    Huh-ren-eh-cus.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Fanshaw. This is also how i pronounce @Taraus

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Car-main

• cah-main

• Apple
    e (the letter e)
    nar (like nark)
    Yo! 
  • Ssee - dou - ree

• Jonners Smithson-

Jon-ners Smith-son

:P
    ~
    You close your eyes momentarily and extend the range of your vision, seeking out the presence of Drugs. 
    Though too far away to accurately perceive details, you see that Drugs is in Mhaldor.