pvp sytem

Hey, I am looking at starting up mudding again after a 15 years absence and am mainly interested in a pvp focused mud.  Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the pvp system in this mud?  I have been unable to find much info other than all the websites claim it has the best combat system.  I am interested in how pvp works, ie. is it free for all pk, clan based pvp only, 1v1 or team based, are there pvp events, etc?

Comments

• * Ring of flying and earring of Sinope required.

(I kid, I kid. Sort of.)
  • You were onto something until your negation statement.

Ignore this misguided one, ring of flying is the best thing that can happen to your character.

• Someone I knew got a ring of flying once, and the next day he got a scholarship IRL.
  • Chuck Norris once was attacked by a pixie wearing a ring of flying. Chuck Norris died.
  • Thanks for the input Akia.  What is the motivation for pvp in this game?  Is it like vanilla Wow where you just pvp for the fun of it and there are not really any rewards or death penalties?  Or are there things like pvp rankings, pvp rewards, some form of death penalty, etc.  in this mud?
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    edited December 2012
    People PvP different reasons, most of it is RP-PK, "faction vs faction". There are some "free PK" zones. Yes to PvP rankings, you get EXP from PK, you lose XP from dying. Also, city raids.

Here is a "recording" of PvP in Achaea: http://www.whiteraventechnology.com/tlanuwa_vs_ceff.html

• edited December 2012
    Aktillum said:

Here is a "recording" of newbs PvPing in Achaea:http://www.whiteraventechnology.com/tlanuwa_vs_ceff.html
    ftfy
  • Most people don't PvP for any material rewards, but simply because they enjoy it. There are combat rankings, but they don't apply to the majority of PvP that happens in Achaea, but only to specifically arranged spars in "arenas". This excludes any form of group combat from it, for instance, and also means that some prominent PKers don't join these rankings at all. As mentioned, there are XP rewards upon killing and losses upon losing, but I assume that those don't matter that much for most of the people heavily involved in it.
  • Mentioning PvP without any mention of artefacts so far is unfair to the newbie looking to give it a go. Someone should provide a neutral writeup on how they do significantly affect it.
  • Well, (s)he did create another thread which covers artefacts too. Not sure if anybody's capable to provide such a neutral writeup though, since we all have a bit biased views, one way or the other, and also, because it depends a lot on the person's class. It also depends a lot on ones definition of "being successful".

But yeah, artefacts help.
  • Just based on how you are wording things and what questions you are asking, I'm not sure Achaea pvp is going to be something you will get along well with. I'd suggest you look at a different, non-text based game.

• AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    Cooper said:
    Just based on how you are wording things and what questions you are asking, I'm not sure Achaea pvp is going to be something you will get along well with. I'd suggest you look at a different, non-text based game.
    What is this I don't even

Don't listen to this guy, he's a baddie.

• Someone edit cooper's picture with the sorting hat shouting SLYTHERIN please
  • How could you possibly suggest that? Just because you're familiar with WoW doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to make the transition to a game like Achaea. Most of us didn't experience MUDs as our first gaming experience.

Also trying the game to see if you like it doesn't take long and you don't lose anything if you decide it isn't for you.

Party right, party hard,

Sing and dance, perfect bard.

Prefarar loop, accentato whore,

Buy a new rapier, get nerfed some more.

• edited December 2012
    Vadimuses said:
    Mentioning PvP without any mention of artefacts so far is unfair to the newbie looking to give it a go. Someone should provide a neutral writeup on how they do significantly affect it.

Arties make you bad and you don't need arties to fight unless you're already bad. This doesn't include Monk where artefacts are okay as long as you are actually good. 

There are such things as PvP rankings. The most to be garnered out of achaea pk is your own enjoyment, the satisfaction it can provide when facing challenges and overcoming them and gathering a reputation as a decent fighter can earn you a lot of respect. Expect to encounter many, many idiots that think they're great because they can gank you 6 deep or defeat you once out of 5 fights because of their overwhelming artefact collection: but I suppose this is the same everywhere. once you break past that, it is seriously fun.

Not like WoW though, Achaea combat is damn technical and there is a hell of a lot to learn if you want to excel. One of the reasons I like it so much really.
  • AkiaAkia phoenix, az
    Vanilla WoW was actually pretty technical and interesting, used to have to be pretty skilled to win in pvp for the most part.  And if you were good enough you could actually fight 2-3 or even 4 people at once.  Now it's just a gear and button press fest, where it actually even tells you what buttons to press next, so dumb.  People didn't like getting curb stomped by people that were better than them, so they dumbed it down so much it stopped mattering how good you were, in order to keep subscriptions, and it worked.

Achaea isn't like this yet, it's slowly getting there via forum whining and most of us are trying to fight it.  I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of gamers these days but you have to actually not suck a PvP or PvE to win in Achaea (there's barely any spoon feeding), and you have to actually think and innovate to be the best.

Those that can't fight, forum.

• Akia said:
    I know it's a foreign concept to a lot of gamers these days but you have to actually not suck a PvP or PvE to win in Achaea

I question your concept of winning, sir.
  • Didn't mind that Rho guy.
  • Akia said:

Those that can't fight, forum.

So all of us here are non-fighters. How tragic.

• DaslinDaslin The place with the oxygen
    For once I will agree with everything @Akia has said. He's putting it in fairly simple terms a non-player can understand. Honestly in regards to the question of op.... If you can think and retain knowledge, you'll do well.
  • @Synbios No, he didn't say only non-fighters forum. The logical implication is that everyone who doesn't forum can fight. Which at least makes me feel better about losing to 18 year olds 10% of my might.
  • Pretty sure that Mizik guy was owning all these omni artied dudes no problem before he even could be persuaded to get an artie elm pipe (then he proved us all wrong by getting one free in a monthly promotion, gdi).

Same goes for Zeon. Vaehl seems to do ok. Etc.

If you're good, you can kill artied people without artifacts. Generally the first indication for me for if someone is looking for an excuse is if they say I can't kill x because he's too artied. Excuse falls flat, plenty of unartied people have probably killed them already.

You can get by with never investing a $ into Achaea (although I'd advise dropping like $10 at the least if you decide to stick around, because it'll make your character permanent). Micropayments here serve the same purpose in nearly all other MMOs, they can speed up the process of acquisition of various things, but they'll never give you a crushing and unbeatable edge over other players.

Unless you get a ring of flying, anyway.

• AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Mizik said:
    Think beyond the afflicting, think what SVO will do

Truth