Traits Questions

Hey everyone, returning player here. When I left Achaea races still had their own stats. I never got heavy into pvp or mechanics so I have a couple of questions I couldn't find in any help files I've read so far. First off, I play a Troll Runewarden, I absolutely loved the high con, very high strength, and didn't mind the extra slow balance. If I should want a set up as close to the Troll racial stats how would I go about building that? Secondly, I recall reading before I quit somewhere that once a stat reaches a certain point, going higher then that has very little change, for example, should I hypothetically wish to choose Improved Physique more then once with the Mercenary specialization for Troll, (assuming you can choose a single major trait more then once) would adding those points I would gain from Improved Physique make enough of a difference in damage output to be an efficient choice? I apologize for any obvious questions I may have asked.

Comments

• One big thing that may change your choices: a given trait can only be selected once. Otherwise, I'd have taken Master Forger x10.

• If I should want a set up as close to the Troll racial stats how would I go about building that?
    You won't be able to get close to old trolls (or any race with extreme advantages/disadvantages), you're forced into more moderate stats with no real disadvantages.

To get as close as possible to old troll stats, choose mercenary (15/12/12/10) or defender (13/11/14/11) and choose the strength or con major trait. Also, even though you can get 16 strength, it will actually be less than old troll's 15 strength (I think) because the diminishing returns are steeper. There's really no reason not to choose nimble for faster balance (you'll only be slightly less tanky), so you'll be at old mhun speed rather than old troll speed. There's also no health regen trait.

Secondly, I recall reading before I quit somewhere that once a stat reaches a certain point, going higher then that has very little change, for example, should I hypothetically wish to choose Improved Physique more then once with the Mercenary specialization for Troll, (assuming you can choose a single major trait more then once) would adding those points I would gain from Improved Physique make enough of a difference in damage output to be an efficient choice?
    Diminishing returns were implemented long before the race changes, they're just a bit steeper now. Every point of strength (from the base of 12) makes less of a difference than the previous point, so +1 strength at 12 will be more effective than +1 at 13, which is more than +1 at 14, etc.

More strength will still always increase damage, and with a high damage attack there's really no point where the difference is negligible. Whether or not another stat will be more effective depends on a lot of things. For PvP, I'd probably go for strength over con as a runewarden, except maybe if I had or planned on getting level 3 gauntlets. For bashing, con is likely better.
  • Trey said:
    One big thing that may change your choices: a given trait can only be selected once. Otherwise, I'd have taken Master Forger x10.
    Not only that, but some traits conflict with each other, so you can only get one stat bonus, one sip bonus, one resistance, etc. TRAIT INFO X will show conflicts for trait X.
  • edited December 2012
    Thank you both, especially you Sena, these were both the exact sorts of answers I was looking for!