Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

The Burrito War

124

Comments

  • AstarodAstarod Posts: 55Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    This is the true chaos that Ashtan wanted, but could never have. 

     The Divine voice of Twilight echoes in your head, "See that it is. I espy a tithe of potential in your mortal soul, Astarod Blackstone. Let us hope that it flourishes and does not falter as so many do."
    Caelan
  • IsrayhlIsrayhl Posts: 173Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited May 10
    It is the war of "what do I have for lunch" versus "what do I have for dinner."
    Nataliia
  • PyoriPyori Posts: 509Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Israyhl said:
    It is the war of "what do I have for lunch" versus "what do I have for dinner."
    Cereal.

  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 883Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    ...... Breakfast foods are never for any other time of day.  
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • AralayaAralaya Posts: 1,018Member @ - Epic Achaean
    edited May 10
    Torinn said:
    ...... Breakfast foods are never for any other time of day.  
    F a l s e

    Edit: Are burgers sandwiches? Discuss.


    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • PyoriPyori Posts: 509Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited May 10
    Torinn said:
    ...... Breakfast foods are never for any other time of day.  
    Patently wrong.

    Cereal is good any time of day.




  • EllodinEllodin HawaiiPosts: 852Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    whataburger feels like a different premise from in n out...like, i've eaten a few double doubles from in n out or some combination of that and animal style fries as a snack, but whataburger feels more like a meal to me. also like their various specialties (e.g. chophouse cheddar, bbq chicken strip sandwich).

    personal preference is a hal's special from w&m, though that's local to hawaii. teri burger with lettuce/tomato/onion/cheese, but most importantly, an actual piece of teri beef in addition to the burger patty.

    don't care about the war in the mediterranean, but boy do i love burgers
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
    Torinn
  • KayeilKayeil Washington StatePosts: 2,796Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nataliia said:
    I have had Whataburger a grand total of once in my whole life, and I hated it. Like, what is this burger? Which justified its name for me. (Maybe I just got a bad meal? I dunno.) >.>

    On the other hand, I love In-N-Out, but I am from Cali so there's that?

    All I can say is thank God no one's legitimately arguing in McD's corner.
    Yeahhh. I lived in Texas as a little kid and have memories of really, really, REALLY hating that place. So much so that the second time as an older kid and the third time living there as an adult I never went there to try it again. Maybe it's better now, I have no idea, but it was so bad to me as a little kid that I was too turned off to it to ever dare walk into another Whataburger again.

    No Dick's Burgers mentions from Seattleites or visitors? Though, Burgermaster is also really legit and I think they were voted best burger in Washington last year or the year before? One of the best burgers I've ever had was in Alaska, for a sit down restaurant.
    What doesn't kill you gives you exp.

  • TorrentTorrent Posts: 56Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Now we shall talk about......BREAKFAST BURRITOS or TACOS!!!!! Dun, Dun, dun!!! Now some egg, potato, bacon breakfast burritos or tacos. Gotta love Texas having a taco hut on every corner. Midnight Tacos!
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 63Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Jack in the box, why you gotta raise your 2 taco price from .99 to 1.19? :angry:
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,417Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    in n out wins hands down from the national chains (innout is still family owned like chickfila).  5 guys fries are pretty amazing, especially since they add another huge scoop into your bag, but overall their shit is extra greasy, your bag will be transparent by the time you get home plus the locations in Cali dont have drive thrus.

    Still love Plan Checkor Father's Office (the OG) in LA more than any other burger in existence (Bachi Burger in Vegas gets 3rd place)
    image
    Aziik
  • KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyPosts: 4,598Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Caelan they still had teriyaki burgers when I was in Kyoto/Osaka a few years back. Gloriously messy eating.
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

    Caelan
  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 883Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Just had 5 guys.  Can confirm better than mcds.  It wasn't too greasy this time.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • AralayaAralaya Posts: 1,018Member @ - Epic Achaean
    In n out is just kinda, meh.
    I don't get what all the rave is about it.


    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • AsmodronAsmodron Posts: 2,446Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 10
    Lol. I love the food debate.

    Blame it on the burrito
    Nataliia
  • NataliiaNataliia Posts: 385Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Five Guys. So. Much. Grease. Pretty sure you could rub a bag on a model and get the same outcome with the oil effect (with the exception that you might wanna eat her? PG, I swear!)

    Their shakes are good though, but their burgers and shakes are kinda on the same level as Steak 'n Shake to me. However, Five Guys can go right to hell because they don't have ranch, and I don't eat fries without ranch :(
  • PuxiPuxi Posts: 495Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Here's my problem with the burrito thing... Most of America has no idea what a good burrito is. I've had that TexMex shit you guys call Mexican food and that just doesn't cut it. Best Mexican food is in California. Conversation over.
    NataliiaAsmodronAziikAinly
  • PyoriPyori Posts: 509Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Wouldn't the best Mexican food be in... Mexico?

    Rekhyr
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,417Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    you would think so but honestly tacos el gordo in Las Vegas is better than tacos I have had in a dozen cities in MX.  Combination of better ingredients and the same time tested recipes.
    image
    Nataliia
  • NataliiaNataliia Posts: 385Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited May 10
    All I can say is the best tacos, or Mexican for that matter, is definitely not in Tampa. I feel like maybe I'm missing a hidden gem in a food truck somewhere, but aside from that every place I've tried here has been a huge bust. Then again, I feel the same way about the Chinese food here. What is wrong with Tampa when it comes to food?

    Edit: At least it saves money since what I make at home generally tastes better by leaps and bounds.
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,417Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Nataliia said:
    All I can say is the best tacos, or Mexican for that matter, is definitely not in Tampa. I feel like maybe I'm missing a hidden gem in a food truck somewhere, but aside from that every place I've tried here has been a huge bust. Then again, I feel the same way about the Chinese food here. What is wrong with Tampa when it comes to food?

    Edit: At least it saves money since what I make at home generally tastes better by leaps and bounds.
    Need a sizeable community if recent immigrants if you want more authentic cuisine.  For mexican food it will be mostly SW region of the US, for chinese food it will be California and some of the bigger cities in the NE part of the US.  Otherwise the restaurant owners will change the dishes to suit the local palettes and you end up with Orange Chicken and Taco Supremes representing those cuisines.
    image
  • NataliiaNataliia Posts: 385Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Achilles said:
    Nataliia said:
    All I can say is the best tacos, or Mexican for that matter, is definitely not in Tampa. I feel like maybe I'm missing a hidden gem in a food truck somewhere, but aside from that every place I've tried here has been a huge bust. Then again, I feel the same way about the Chinese food here. What is wrong with Tampa when it comes to food?

    Edit: At least it saves money since what I make at home generally tastes better by leaps and bounds.
    Need a sizeable community if recent immigrants if you want more authentic cuisine.  For mexican food it will be mostly SW region of the US, for chinese food it will be California and some of the bigger cities in the NE part of the US.  Otherwise the restaurant owners will change the dishes to suit the local palettes and you end up with Orange Chicken and Taco Supremes representing those cuisines.
    Yeah. I think I'm just spoiled since I grew up in the west. FL has this weird niche of cookie cutter chinese restaurants. They all look the same. They're all these hole-in-the-wall boxes with like 4-6 tables tops, since they're primarily for take-out. Their menus all look identical, and their food all tastes identically terrible like they all have the same distributor. "You too can have your own personal pop-up Chinese store and just name it China 3 since there's already a China 1 and 2! Or Happy Wok if you're feeling extra creative!" TBH Panda Express tastes better than every Chinese place here. o.o

    At least we found a good Hawaiian place, even if it is a 45min-hour drive down to St. Pete! But... I can make most of that at home too since my (step) dad's Hawaiian-Filipino.

    Won't be in FL forever though, so there's promise in the future!
  • EllodinEllodin HawaiiPosts: 852Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    wtf hawaiian food in florida? two southernmost states, i guess, but how random. what kind of hawaiian food...like poi, chicken lau lau, and haupia or like katsu and spam musubi?
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
  • NataliiaNataliia Posts: 385Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Ellodin said:
    wtf hawaiian food in florida? two southernmost states, i guess, but how random. what kind of hawaiian food...like poi, chicken lau lau, and haupia or like katsu and spam musubi?
    It's not a chain. A woman from Hawaii started out with a food truck, and then got a restaurant. We talked forever. And it was a mix, but a fairly small menu given that she started with a truck. Mostly things like katsu, musubi, teriyaki, loco moco, kalua (although I just made a ton of that a week ago). No lau lau sadly, and no poi (but I wasn't sad about that). Still, it had flavor, and was a small victory. ^^
  • AralayaAralaya Posts: 1,018Member @ - Epic Achaean
    Ellodin said:
    wtf hawaiian food in florida? two southernmost states, i guess, but how random. what kind of hawaiian food...like poi, chicken lau lau, and haupia or like katsu and spam musubi?
    Random fact, Texas has lots of Czech food.


    Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

    teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • EllodinEllodin HawaiiPosts: 852Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    i figured not a chain, since you probably wouldn't refer to L&L as a good Hawaiian place (though i do like it). but that's quite cool. i wouldn't really be sad about missing lau lau or poi, but there are times i would love to have some lomi salmon or the other meaty things mentioned. or poke. that's pretty awesome, probably something i'd visit every so often for nostalgia's sake if i lived in that area.
    And as he slept he dreamed a dream, and this was his dream.
    Nataliia
  • AsmodronAsmodron Posts: 2,446Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    This thread made me buy a kebab.

    Definitely worth it.
  • LyrinLyrin Posts: 162Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Amen.  After thinking about mediterranean food all day, dinner tonight was gyro, dolmades and haloumi (and kataifi for dessert).  

    Only downside was not finding a Greek beer at the local bottleshop.
    Aegoth
  • AegothAegoth Posts: 2,472Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Lyrin said:
    Amen.  After thinking about mediterranean food all day, dinner tonight was gyro, dolmades and haloumi (and kataifi for dessert).  

    Only downside was not finding a Greek beer at the local bottleshop.
    Thats my boy!! Alfa or Mythos is ok, but if you want a REALLY amazing Greek beer, look for Crazy Donkey beers. Santorini brewery. Fantastic
    Lyrin
  • LyrinLyrin Posts: 162Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Mythos is the one I was looking for - it's often sold in Greek restaurants here.    Will keep an eye out for the Crazy Donkey, funnily enough ended up with a similar IPA from Chicago instead (Goose Island).
    Aegoth
Sign In to Comment.