Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Shopkeeping Records

IsmayIsmay Posts: 479Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
I was wondering if any of you shopkeepers would be willing to either post, or privately send me, copies of your records. They can be bs numbers - I just need examples on how to keep strict records in a shop that I do not own myself.

Being new to shopkeeping, I am struggling to get started with record keeping. I'd even be willing to pay you for your trouble!

Comments

• SkyeSkye The Duchess BellaterePosts: 2,709Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 8
    When you say you don't own the shop yourself, you mean you're
    (A) Paying rent.
    (B) are sharing a shop space (like you have an allocated bin)
    (C) Running an org shop where you get some reimbursement as a percentage of sales

Incidentally, because we don't have shoplogs, there is no good way (that I know of) to keep track of earnings when policies are involved.

• IsmayIsmay Posts: 479Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I think i may have it figured out.
  • PlakPlak Posts: 56Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
     Ismay said:
    I think i may have it figured out.

Better get ready for your IC-presentation to the House and City then B)

Ismay
  • KhaibitKhaibit Posts: 366Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    people keep records?

KayeilKyrraXaeYae
  • IsrayhlIsrayhl Posts: 173Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    @Nataliia keeps a detailed record for both of her shops (including expenses) to know her profit vs revenue streams.  Don't know how, but she does. 
  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 881Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Too much work, just wing it!
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    XaeKayeil
  • XaeXae Posts: 433Member @ - Epic Achaean
    Torinn said:
    Too much work, just wing it!
    Pretty much what I did when I rented a shop lol
    Ask for my discord! || Need some help? There's a discord for that!
    Currently not taking commissions || Please check out my new art page!

Torinn
    Well, when you’re running org shops, records are useful because you’re held accountable for inventory and profit.
  • CerysCerys Posts: 12Member
    edited May 8
    Torinn said:
    When they ask where the gold went just say that kiet stole it!
    That's what I do, especially if I can get reward money for it.
    Torinn
    @Kiet would make a good scapegoat!
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesPosts: 5,727Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Spreadsheets are pretty useful for this, if you can be bothered with them.

• SkyeSkye The Duchess BellaterePosts: 2,709Member, Seafaring Liason @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Well, you can have a sample spreadsheet. It's more detailed than what I actually use, because I generate most of my own stock, I haven't actually had to deduct any cost in purchase...

https://goo.gl/g3TDBp

XaeIsmay
  • NataliiaNataliia Posts: 385Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    What @Skye put up is fairly similar to how I do it, with the exception of what I spent on things since I generate most of my own stock via my own tradeskills.

I don't actually keep an account of what sold down to the letter, per se, but I do know that I have a certain number of stacks of something up (let's say ink, I keep 5 stacks of 50 of each ink in both shops) and if the stacks are either entirely missing or lower than the minimum number of stacks I keep, I know what sold.

Mostly I just track how much I put into the shop (taxes, rent, any tuns I've had to purchase, etc.) and focus on if I'm trying to break even still, or if I've surpassed what I put into it and am making a profit.
  • KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyPosts: 4,598Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I generate all my own stock and I price things like enchantments based off commodity market costs plus 100-200 more gold so I know I'm making a profit on top of the expense.

I also stock things in particular quantities, I always aim to have 5 of every enchantment so when those numbers are low, I know I need to do more. I basically cook one of each recipe and throw that (plus the extras) in, and I'll only restock food when it's out and I feel like it.

About the only thing I keep a spreadsheet for is my rare minerals, since they are supplied to me from someone else and they get 90% of the profits. The spreadsheet keeps a list of total minerals in stock, how much gold I need to deposit if something sells, and how much should be left over for me (that other 10%).

I do use scripts to price things though, and also something to track what's sold outside of tuns but I don't keep that data collectively for reference. Shopkeeping is a really enjoyable way to make use of a lot of trade skills but I refuse to make it more complex than it needs to be. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• RangorRangor Posts: 3,041Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    With my pricing script I could estimate cost of everything dropped on the floor, assume it as sold and see what the profit will be.... I don't do that.. Maybe I should!
    Kresslack
  • KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyPosts: 4,598Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    How do people factor in pricing policy?
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• RangorRangor Posts: 3,041Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Kyrra said:
    How do people factor in pricing policy?
    Don't use em! 
    SkyeMathildaKriexKyrra
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesPosts: 5,727Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Skye said:
    Well, you can have a sample spreadsheet. It's more detailed than what I actually use, because I generate most of my own stock, I haven't actually had to deduct any cost in purchase...

https://goo.gl/g3TDBp
    I really like your column notes:

Amt after stocktaking. Use this instead of amt sold cos when you're tired you *will* confuse yourself

Sign In to Comment.