Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

How to Create A Character/Sample Characters

LiiLii Posts: 30Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
Hi. A friend of mine spoke to me about this a few months ago. She's known people that, while good at rping a character already created, had little to no clue on just how to create a brand new character. I told her I'd make a discussion about it, as well as creating sample characters for people to use. Months later, here it is.

First, in Achaea, you have to realize that this is a medieval fantasy world. You're not going to around with uzis or launch torpedos at submarines.
Two, you have to remember that you have nearly limitless possibilities (within medieval fantasy world parameters). Let your imagination run wild.
Three. How your character develops from the initial creation is up to you. This realm does have consequences and rewards to actions, so remember that also.

Finally....how to create a BRAND NEW CHARACTER.

-First. Male or Female? (This decides the gender the character is, not whether you have to play strictly as that gender.)
-Two. Race? Atavian, Dwarf, Grook, Horkval, Human, Mhun, Rajamala, Satyr, Siren, Tash'la, Troll, Tsol'aa, Xoran? (Note: Sireni are females, Satyr are males.)
-Three. Who is your character? What are they like? A few questions you can ask are: What positive traits does my character have? What negative traits? What annoys/angers the heck out of 'em? What unique quirks does my character have?
-Four. Using the traits from Three, decide what class your character will be. Alchemist, Apostate, Bard, Blademaster, Depthswalker, Druid, Infernal, Jester, Magi, Monk, Occultist, Paladin, Priest, Runewarden, Sentinel, Serpent, Shaman, Sylvan?

Now, a sample character, interviewed by Bruyan's unheard of apprentice.

In a strange room somewhere in the World Tree, a simply clad youth looks at a Grook. The Grook hunches over at about 4 feet 8. His olive skin is slick with the oils necessary to ensure it doesn't dry out. Thin pale green lines run across his hands from experimentation in the darker arts. His purple bulbous eyes glare around him with a detached interest, the black pupils in them catching every hint of light. When he smiles, razor sharp teeth can be seen, although his slender frame indicates they have had little usage.

Apprentice:O yeshi, oh yeshi! Stranger from the Prime is here! Who are you?

Grook: I am called Raesha Blackbramble. Why have you brought me to this hellish location?

Apprentice looks about the small square confused. The pale cobblestones are clear of grass. The air is hot and dry with the sun high overhead.

Apprentice: O yeshi...Strange Raesha calls this place hellish. Why?

Raesha: I spend all of my time in the water near Polyargos unless my studies in Aeonics leads me up to the hellish overworld. It is hot, dry, and by the
way...You really should bathe more. Your shirt has a wine stain on it, and from the smell of it, an inferior wine. You lack elegance. You are uneducated. A pity you cannot go back in time to fix your problems. Were you raised on a farm?

Apprentice glances at his shirt, then noticing the stain, chuckles.

Apprentice: O yeshi! I am educated... I can read. How did you know all of these things, Raesha?

Raesha:in a detached voice My parents left my egg in Muurn Lake near Cyrene. I was raised by Indalecio and educated by the best scholars in the city. The wine is obvious. I have a superior sense of smell and an excellent taste in wine and other fine things. The way you move is crude, almost as if you can't figure out how to do anything besides swing either a plow or a scythe. In addition, I can see the small luck charm you carry on your side. A hoe crossing a shovel in front of a symbol of the sun. How quaint.

An older male walks by. His tunic and breeches are worn. Although he grips a wooden cane with gnarled hands, it is obvious that he can barely move.

Raesha: We will continue this another time if I feel generous. Good day.

Raesha walks to the man and helps him walk to his home. Just as soon as the man enters his home, a small pouch of gold sovereigns is slipped to the old man. As the old man turns to thank Raesha, the Grook has already disappeared.

MinifieCailinBrenexPrytheTalamondShirszaeBoosteya

Comments

• LiiLii Posts: 30Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Alright. It's time for the next character sample.

Deep within the tavern, "A Weaver's Arms", a young Tsol'aa hesitantly approaches a young apprentice. She barely notices what he's wearing as she coughs quietly near him.

Tsol'aa: S..si..sir? You wished to meet me?

The apprentice looks at her. Standing at about five feet six inches tall, she has wildly flowing amber hair that makes her seem mysterious. In sharp contrast to that, her scared violet eyes, the small aquiline nose in her heart shaped face, and her hunched frame gives indication of an inner fear or wildness.

Apprentice: O yeshi...I did. I heard a traveller from the Prime boast about how he'd seen a beautiful mysterious girl in the Aalen Forest.

Tsol'aa: H.ho..how did...He was mistaken.

Tsol'aa hangs her head in fear. The apprentice feels a pang of sympathy, then hands the girl a clay growler of Dryad's Revenge. She sniffs it, then hesitantly takes a sip. As the floral flavours cascade down her throat, she visibly relaxes, then leans against the apprentice's chair.

Tsol'aa: quietly, but in a more confident tone I'll tell you what you want to know. I had Ta'hena read the letter to me. I'm called Tsolu of the Redwood. My parents are from Eleusis, which is my home. I am a Sentinel. I dislike meetings, I enjoy dancing, I enjoy ale, and I dislike city dwellers who have excuses for hurting the Earthmother.

The apprentice is slightly taken aback by her forthrightedness. As his mouth opens slightly in shock, he attempts a reply.

Apprentice: O ye.yeshi.. o...

Tsolu: interrupting O I'll finish. I came up here because the village elders said I needed to explore the world. I will only remain here if there's something worth my time...like you, cutie. takes another drink of the ale I can teach you of the ways of the forest. Leave this town, join me. Dance with the butterflies and serve the Earth Mother. Protect it.

She leave the tavern with the apprentice following behind her. A few days later, they are dancing in the forest when a shout startles everyone.

Bruyan: O yez! O yez! Idiot apprentice becomes smitten by Tsol'aa girl from Prime and leaves promising future! O yez! O yez!
    KyrraShirszaeBoosteya
  • QimailehQimaileh Posts: 3Member
    In general, I stress over a lot before I actually make my character. Initially start with concept - irreverent scholar, etc. - which leads to a decision of city in Achaea. From there I work on which class I feel fits the concept with secondary consideration of class mechanics. If I'm having trouble deciding between two based on concept I'll fall back on which class has mechanics but that's been a rare scenario in the past. After that I think about personality traits and quirks that I think would make for interesting. And then I try to flesh it out during game play.
  • BoosteyaBoosteya Posts: 346Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I like these! Are you going to keep going? I'm reminded of a friend of mine who said that she didn't want to play an original character because it's "too easy." If we have character ideas like this in our forums for people who think like that, that it's too easy unless someone else has created the character, then they have the challenge they want as an option. I especially like that your examples have the character interact, rather than just describing the character as if it were some sort of report.
    Miin-aan baash kimini-sij-i-gan bitooyin sij-i-gan-i bukwayszhiigan = blueberry π
Sign In to Comment.