THIS, is why earrings need to be downgraded. A supposed "Duel"

Comments

• STONEFIST:

Afflicts victim with the cactus weed affliction.

• Synbios said:
    STONEFIST:

Afflicts victim with the cactus weed affliction.
    I was going to try to come up with an affliction message for this, but then I realised the airfist line already works pretty well.
    A sudden phantom wind seizes your mind, blurring the world into a shifting sea.
  • Kyrra said:
    @Mizik, was that... a raspberry?
    It was supposed to be a direct and relevant response to @Darroth's post :(

Also, much love to @Achilles for typing out a logical statement, shrouded as it was with the usual keening whine of any other post he puts up.
  • Because it would be too difficult to compliment him and leave it at that.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    The real culprit isn't earrings. It is the abomination that is pruning shears. I need a zhonya's hourglass to protect myself

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2012
    Aeolithon said:
    And @Bluef. Jesus christ, pot-kettle much? I think the last time I fought you, you literally ran away after every single fashion. Be it fly or all the way back to your totemed the fuck out of home. This was also a duel.

Ugh, people. How you make me sad.

Hey, not everyone plays Shaman like you do -- stand and curse the bejebus out of them until you tzantza -- that's all. I think more people play Jester/Shaman as hit and run classes. And yeah, Bluef is pretty flighty. But she's built that way -- high dex rather than con, trans avoidance and whatnot, high escape capabilities via arties and skills. I don't run after every fashion but yeah..if you expect her to stand around while you stick heartseed...think again! :p
  • Bluef said:
    Aeolithon said:
    And @Bluef. Jesus christ, pot-kettle much? I think the last time I fought you, you literally ran away after every single fashion. Be it fly or all the way back to your totemed the fuck out of home. This was also a duel.

Ugh, people. How you make me sad.

Hey, not everyone plays Shaman like you do -- stand and curse the bejebus out of them until you tzantza -- that's all. I think more people play Jester/Shaman as hit and run classes. And yeah, Bluef is pretty flighty. But she's built that way -- high dex rather than con, trans avoidance and whatnot, high escape capabilities via arties and skills. I don't run after every fashion but yeah..if you expect her to stand around while you stick heartseed...think again! :p
    And that is the exact reason that you bitching about other people running around/away during fights is ridiculous - you do the same thing.

• BluefBluef Delos
    edited December 2012
    I move a room or two out to heal maybe or to use vodun -- Which truthfully is how vodun is intended to work. Otherwise...why would certain vodun and puppetry abilities not give the victim a message when they are used outside their immediate vicinity? That is a far cry from running back to a city or earring-ing to someone and coming back with a team. 8 / 
    Cooper said:
    And that is the exact reason that you bitching about other people running around/away during fights is ridiculous - you do the same thing.

• Oh hey, this again.
    this thread is full of racism and synonyms

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
  • Racism is bad.
  • Akia said:

It all boils down to one simple yet elegant solution that all you river-makers should just adopt:

Because let's face it, Tanris is the real reason for all the tears, you can't beat him, you want to be him, but you never will.  Just kill the Tanris, and all your problems go away.  If you can't do that, learn to fight and GTFO the forums.
    How dare you imply that Achaea gets ruined by anyone other than @Penwize.

• edited December 2012
    Watching Ashtan try to become the new MFB is just sad. :\

AFB sounds like an emo band name too. 

Freaky Ashtani Genotypes.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • AchillesAchilles Los Angeles
    limiting the number is probably the best solution, like limiting number of eagles one can have.
    I googled best solution for earring problem and google gave me this.

-

As drawn by Shayde
  • K if Tecton wants to refund like 15 sets of earrings to Tanris, go for it.

• Tbf I'd be cool if I got refund and it was capped at a certain number, then I could custom all the messages to be cool.
  • That said, that doesn't solve any of peoples issues with earrings. That's your issue with Ashtan's earrings, not with the earring mechanic.
  • How would you choose who to keep D:
    My free mudlet scripts can be had HERE.
  • choose me :)
  • Change it so you can only have one earring, but it can be with a denizen.
  • Tanris said:
    That said, that doesn't solve any of peoples issues with earrings. That's your issue with Ashtan's earrings, not with the earring mechanic.
    Well, my idea severely limits someone having multiple earrings as an escape method - they will only have one person to earring to instantly who would have to not incorrectly position themselves, and earring-ing to others would be backup and more risky. 

I don't really believe that it's exactly "Ashtan's earrings" because any city can potentially do this, and it does solve the problem of easy escape.
  • Limiting the number of earrings is simply not going to happen. There's no incentive for IRE to do it whatsoever.

Introducing a way to curtail the abusability of earrings while keeping them relevant, potent, and worth the money people like Tanris shell out for them WOULD be worth doing for them, as that is a customer service issue.

Again, a small delay and a room message alerting the earring-user's enemies that they're about to escape would fit the bill. Powerful, but not unstoppable.
  • I'd not pay for them if they had a delay, honestly. Would be better served spamming wings or even portal wand in those instances.

As for it making them less of escape method, I disagree. If say it was one person with an earring, I'd scrap it as a mobility mechanic and throw the other one at one of my favourite noncomms who I could be confident would be around a lot.

• edited December 2012
    Alright, I'd honestly prefer it if each Ashtani raider got one earring with a non-com pal than with each other.
  • Precisely. Which indicates to me that escape is not the issue that you have with earrings.
  • Zeon said:
    Yeah earrings are good. Yeah earrings are arguably disproportionally good considering their cost, even if they are quite expensive. But I think it's rather unfair to be making assumptions about their 'original purpose'. It's also pretty clear at this point that the trend of nerfing all good things leads to a stagnant gaming experience. Things should be buffed across the board to promote conflict and add complexity to the game. If you have a problem with earrings, why not suggest a change to offense that nullifies them to some degree? Yeah it's more work, but it's more interesting, and adds complexity to the game.
    That's exactly right, I feel the same way about everything. People are too quick to hit the "nerf" button. Distinct advantages are what set classes apart and make arties worth getting. You pay 200$ for something, even if it pisses me off I believe you should get what you pay for and I'll either come up with a new way or find something I can get to help with it. Albeit it super cheap to just earring away at near death.. and seemingly unstoppable. It is an expensive artifact and I'd expect no less for it. Might aswell consider it a win if they earring off repeatedly, it's obvious they are failing at killing you.