Raiding Mechanics

Comments

• Yeah, it kind of is. Hashan never has good turn out, I'm not sure why you're arguing the point.

Mhaldor raids them enough, you all know that. This argument is like Ashtan saying a 5v5 with their core group is fair vs 3 people who don't even use starburst.

Do what you're gonna do, no judgement here. Let's not start acting like we aren't aware of what we see when we raid people though.

Penwize has cowardly forfeited the challenge to mortal combat issued by Atalkez.
  • Speaking as a former player of Hashan even back when it had almost all of the ex-Imperian crew, turnout has almost always been in the low 20%
     <3 
  • lmao if you're gonna claim 9% turnout is normal even for hashan you're arguing in such bad faith you might as well start comparing things to RL crimes again and get it over with.
  • edited February 2018
    Kiet said:
    lmao if you're gonna claim 9% turnout is normal even for hashan you're arguing in such bad faith you might as well start comparing things to RL crimes again and get it over with.
    Just for clarity, the 9% turnout was a direct result of the fact that you brought such overkill that nobody felt like participating. If you had brought fewer people, or left some Aegoth/Proficy/Cooper-tier folks behind, then that number might have been enough for an actual engagement.
  • Asmodron said:
    Cyr said:
    Ashtan literally got marching orders from the Chaos Court to 'make Hashan understand their mistake', so yeah we didn't come in with a gameplan of let's go a bit easy on them to start. But lines like ' Neither you, nor Ashtan nor the Chaos Lords you swear fealty to...actually have dominion over Chaos.' 'you may as well make good on your threats because at least there will be some action while we remain undeterred from our course.' 'I suppose that I have come to expect too much from the once-great Bastion. It seems that you have either stifled or have no great, creative minds left. Pity.' while we were busy killing the shit out of Hashan (that's ignoring any tells and shouts that went on during that) don't really lend themselves towards us saying 'yeah let's take it easy on them'. And even then when we did show up with less than our full force, and you had more than enough defenders, the most common response to a raid was the guard re-station message.

I'm not without sympathy for people not enjoying being raided constantly, but it really wasn't the edicts that got you raided constantly, it was your response to people raiding you for the edicts. You didn't have to take things back, you just had to not pretend like you weren't getting your heads handed to you and insult people at every turn. 

Firstly, I love that the Chaos Court itself ordered the attacks. That is rather fun. (It's  true they dont have dominion on Chaos though >> )

Secondly, you stated we werent showcasing that we were "getting our heads handed to us" in order to satisfy the act of attacking us. You're literally asking us to behave intimated, broken, and helpless? Why?

It honestly reads as an act of bullying and being displeased if the victim shakes it off.

As for the posts and shouts, admittedly Mosr did love to push buttons but as I said, we expected this. We arent going to be coyed and suddenly give up on what we are pushing for. You cant be a challenger if you are accepting of everyone.

We dont mind the attacks but you cant honestly even remotely say they're fair :P.

Honestly I'd love a font power that disables starbusts...just so I dont kill someone 4 times in the same fight...

1. For the purpose of this argument, I really don't care. ICly I have no interaction with the Chaos Court. I'm a HR3, CR1 dude that likes fighting. 
    2. That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying don't act like Ashtan (or any other city that's winning) is doing nothing when you're clearly losing. You don't have to bow down and be cowed, you just have to not insult the people who are reducing your city to rubble. (or atleast, don't do that and expect that they're going to do anything but keep reducing the city to rubble).

And no, I'm not claiming that the raids are fair. I don't think I've said anywhere that most of our tanks have been 'fair'. I don't care if Hashan rushes us until we level 2 tank them, or ignores us for the 15 minutes it takes for us to go away. Just don't act like your enemy has done nothing in public when they very obviously have. or expect the consequences. Either or.

Dunn tells you, "I hate you."
    (Party): You say, "Bad plan coming right up."
  • Hashan had more than enough people who defend regularly tonight. When we noticed they were not defending for some reason, we left quickly.

The amount of bitching and finger pointing over this is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering Hashan brought in 9 people vs. a 5 person (1 0% my might novice included) cwho a little over a week ago. I contacted two of them OOC and was met with "tough luck, we're counting on you having more show up".

0 sympathy. 

• Cooper said:
    Hashan had more than enough people who defend regularly tonight. When we noticed they were not defending for some reason, we left quickly.

The amount of bitching and finger pointing over this is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering Hashan brought in 9 people vs. a 5 person (1 0% my might novice included) cwho a little over a week ago. I contacted two of them OOC and was met with "tough luck, we're counting on you having more show up".

0 sympathy. 
    Don't forget, yelled calling Mhaldor cowardly for it, too!
  • Can we get back to discussing raid mechanics in a constructive way?
  • edited February 2018
    ITT: People doing shitty things, then complaining when the other city does shitty things.

About sums it up. Why- or how, even- do you people always manage to devolve nearly every single thread that isn't in the Blank Canvas / Scarlattan Theatre, into this kinda shitposting?

• Plz gif bak old wunjo/nairat. All likey totem buf. Kthx bai.

(It's not constructive but I tried with what little brainpower I have left tonight.)
  • edited February 2018
    Calira said:
    Kiet said:
    12*, vs a cwho of 30 people with at least 10 regular defenders. You can't really blame us for expecting your city to have even half the dedication other cities have to defending! Guards get bashed because there weren't any good untanked spots not in guard range, and with how often everyone that raids Hashan has to deal with guards, what do you expect?

We left after like 15 minutes when no one moved, anyway, so not sure what the big deal is.
    Aegoth, Syndra, Proficy, Chiam, Hataru, Iakimen, Naelrhi, Zackery, Taryius, Saeva, Lii, Cooper, Kiet. That makes 13.

And this is exactly what I expect. Behaviour that at best takes no consideration for the fun of those you raid, and at worst is designed to punish the opposing players, as opposed to their characters.
    Want to point out I was there for 5 minutes, enough to die to guards before I had to go to work.

Haven't read this next page yet, but Mhaldor had a qwho of 25-30 people and we showed restraint on -our- numbers and chose Hashan because we expected the best fight from them.

Saying we 'went in full force to bash guards' is bullshit. We killed one stack so we could setup, and from what I hear killed whatever guards were called on us before leaving... 
  • Yes..you are clearly the victim..our apologies
  • Tahquil said:
    Can we get back to discussing raid mechanics in a constructive way?

• The worst part about raiding is the constant whining and blaming, which I've unfortunately had my share of doing in the past too. Then I took a step back, remembered this is a game and room destructions and dead guards don't exactly mean much.

This entire discussion is really dumb. Stop acting like a poor victim over a 15 minute raid when every other city has dealt with far more lopsided raids that last for hours. Those you can bitch about. This one is most certainly not worth three pages of what reads like Rants. Let's go back to raid mechanics, or carry on in Rants!
  • As for raid mechanics. Things I would like to see:

- A timer on tank placement. Seeing multiple tank placements is exhausting for everyone, and almost every city can get stubborn enough to keep it up until they get one blown. Having a timer will make a raid group give some thought when to drop a tank, rather than plop it down because they have more in reserve. (Admittedly in Hashan's case, we use second tanks for practice purposes. We dont expect it to work if we got wiped the first time).

- Honestly if starbursts mixed with rez mechanics are staying as they are, I wouldnt mind a font ability to disable starbusts. Our main issue with raiders isnt killing them...it is the fact they dont stay down. Someone that wants to stay alive...will stay alive for some time. Ashtan is near impossible to kill for this reason. If you dont have an orb of confinement in your city..the duanathar comes into play and with it...more starbursts (yes im working on it). Attrition is the most powerful tool in these scenarios. I'd love some way to counter the cat lives..

- Disarming does not feel as satisfying as detonating. Yes you thwarted the enemy, but then what? You got a bit of experience..if you were there. Much of the time not even all the defenders can be there for the tank. The tank is gone..and the enemy will likely pop back in for another go.

What do you get if you did detonate? A global message of the blast, a destroyed city room (thus commodities paid by enemy city), xp for your group, morale boost, and frankly a physical and global demonstration of your city's mandate.

Adding a global message for disarm alone would help with morale and satisfaction.

Some other random additions I can think of is perhaps refilling your font to 100%, or perhaps a donation of commodities to your city by the 'thankful residents you saved'. Just random suggestions.
  • edited February 2018
    Tahquil said: Can we get back to discussing raid mechanics in a constructive way?

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • You guys know that anyone can use starbursts, right?  Like, you don't even have to learn tattoos to ink your own now. 
  • TBF having defenders burst a hell of a lot gets you that level 2 easier, while on defense you have to clear them enough to get that disarm off. Some raids people bursting like nuts and going 5 deaths deep has given us a deep level 2 tank rather quickly, and made going for it worthwhile.
  • Starburst isn't really the issue, it's stacked gems + rebirth + flask etc
  • Kiet said:
    Starburst isn't really the issue, it's stacked gems + rebirth + flask etc
    This. Trying to keep someone like Farrah out of the fight is really time consuming, sure the multiple deaths when you do get them help the tank, but when you'e defending that kind of thing its frustrating. That's not a raid or Farrah issue, it's the consequence of the talisman / special item influx we've had over the past few years and not sure you can do much about it now.

(Party): Mezghar says, "Stop."
  • I just dont want to deal with all time focused on repeatedly killing the -same- target that -just wont stay down- in order to move on to the next. Sadly this is mostly with seasoned fighters, making newer ones entering the battlefield not as equipped to survive so long.

I dont mind a starburst...but good god it has become a Rasputin scenario.
  • edited February 2018
    Kiet said:

Also, Cyrene almost always responds with big % of their city, there's a big difference between the two. We also really don't need two 'peaceful' cities, because then that just further dilutes Hashan's identity, but that's probably a lost cause.
    Wanna chime in on this bit, because it's laughable. We definitely don't need 2 peaceful cities. Hashan growing into its Darkness/Night identity is a boon for the game as a whole. But Mhaldor, in particular, is keen on slapping Hashan down, even on an OOC level as is evidenced by Aegoth's vitriol. It's possible to IC oppose Hashan while OOCly maintaining a healthy gaming environment. That's not what Mhaldor's doing.

edit: inb4 "Aegoth was only jking" defense posts from Mdor. You need better jokes.
     <3 
  • edited February 2018
    Aegoth ~= Mhaldor, nor does he speak for the city of Mhaldor.

Pretty sure you've brought up people generalising an entire faction, and why you shouldn't do it. You really need to lighten up. :thinking:

eta: If you think shit talking is bad for an environment, I'd hate to see you play virtually any other game. Or play virtually anything, really. Sports, gambling, cards, you name it and there's shit talking for it. Even in advertising there's plenty of it between companies. If anything it helps. White knighting, however, helps pretty much nobody and just makes you look like a clown. I'm not Mhaldorian, nor do I really like Mhaldor all that much, what excuse are you gonna use for me?

• I like the idea of a tank disarm making it harder to place a second tank and also filling up the font, or maybe giving some other passive bonus to defenders.  

I'm worried about raider deaths reducing tank charge because raid length can already create defender fatigue and if you can have a tank sitting there charging up/down for ages while people die on both sides, it could result in really drawn-out raids. 
  • I want to say that I fucking love that we have raid mechanics here in Achaea. We don't have that particular tool in Aetolia, and conflict there is more stale than the fucking half loaf of bread I left at work for a whole week because forgetful. I -wish- we had something like raiding in Aetolia. I think with a couple of adjustments that have been mentioned, raiding here will be a fucking amazing conflict mechanic. I'm looking forward to seeing what @Makarios does with it!

• Sure on all citizen deaths contributing to the tank charge, but there has to be stricter rules (and punishments) to not involve citizens unless they have explicitly involved themselves in the raid.
     <3 
  • That rule is already in place.