Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Oct 2017 Promotion (Talisman Trouble)

245

Comments

  • LeviticusLeviticus Posts: 230Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Tahquil said:
    -Slurps on another mouthful of 90c instant ramen-

    That's real fucking neato.
    Haha been there, done that!
  • SidoniaSidonia Posts: 395Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Tahquil said:
    -Slurps on another mouthful of 90c instant ramen-

    That's real fucking neato.
    Is this some fancy upper class ramen? Better be for NINETY cents
    Torinn
  • VoliVoli Posts: 18Member
    Luxury Ramen: $1.80
    Fancy Ramen: $0.90
    Poor Ramen: $0.15 <-- mine.
    Tysandr
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,035Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Ramen + some frozen vegetables = yay

  • NicolaNicola Posts: 548Administrator Achaean staff
    I use cheapo packet ramen as noodles in chicken and vegetable stir fry. Just be sure to throw out the flavour packet!
    Telendrieth
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesPosts: 2,315Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I know the heir of a huge ramen company, supposedly the packaging cost more than noodles.  Gauging by his bankroll and cars its a lucrative business.
    image
  • FaedwynFaedwyn Posts: 11Member
    I can attest that the fancy stuff is yummy, but still needs some veggies/shrooms/shrimp to make it spectacular.


  • TahquilTahquil Posts: 3,704Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Look at y’all fancy fucks with ramen options.
    FaedwynXiasTysandrSkye
  • AegothAegoth Posts: 2,119Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    top ramen best ramen
    Faedwyn
  • DochithaDochitha Posts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    You don't have real ramen?
  • DochithaDochitha Posts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I have to agree, this round, the promo math is totally out. Is not 20% to 200% like the announce post advertised. It's probably going to average out less than non-promo non-elite...
    MorthifWicellaTysandr
  • SeragornSeragorn Posts: 27Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Leviticus said:
    Purchased 120 races caches. Trade in was 2.8K, kept the good ones and completed the ones I did have even if they were lame.

    120 race caches is going to set you back $1100 (4 of the 30 bundles at $275 each), if you'd have spent that at the base credit rate with no bonus your walking away with just under 4k credits (I think you can afford the extra $20 to get that bundle).. I cant confirm your maths without the list of pieces or knowing if that excluded items that you kept, but thats a horrible return. I cant see any value in any bundle except the pure random ones (the cheapest and most tedious option).

    @Makarios @Nicola are you sure this promotion is working as intended?
    Wicella
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,035Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    The intended 40% bonus is based off of completing a talisman and trading it in, not on pieces. There is the expectation that you find the pieces you need from others, or buy enough off the website.

    I believe it is working as intended, it just doesn't have the same value as globes do. 

  • SeragornSeragorn Posts: 27Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Cooper said:
    The intended 40% bonus is based off of completing a talisman and trading it in, not on pieces. There is the expectation that you find the pieces you need from others, or buy enough off the website.

    I believe it is working as intended, it just doesn't have the same value as globes do. 

    I doubt that would be the case, because only a small percentage of the population would be interested in the promotion (someone like me, who cant even gets close to any bonus by doing exactly that).  Even if it was, its destined to fail because unless your desperate to complete that tumbleweed, nobody in their right mind (sorry @Leviticus, no offense intended) would chase a top end item by this mechanic.
  • LennLenn Posts: 15Member ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Did they mean 20% worse than buying credits? o.o
  • FaedwynFaedwyn Posts: 11Member
    Seragorn said:
    Leviticus said:
    Purchased 120 races caches. Trade in was 2.8K, kept the good ones and completed the ones I did have even if they were lame.

    120 race caches is going to set you back $1100 (4 of the 30 bundles at $275 each), if you'd have spent that at the base credit rate with no bonus your walking away with just under 4k credits (I think you can afford the extra $20 to get that bundle).. I cant confirm your maths without the list of pieces or knowing if that excluded items that you kept, but thats a horrible return. I cant see any value in any bundle except the pure random ones (the cheapest and most tedious option).

    @Makarios @Nicola are you sure this promotion is working as intended?
    I see you trying to be all "on topic" over there.


    Wicella
  • FrederichFrederich Posts: 1,234Member @ - Epic Achaean
    edited October 5
    I mean.  At least it isn't

    "THE PLATINUM STOCKING IS DOUBLE THE REWARDS OF A NORMAL ONE!"

    And it then gives you less than half of the reward a normal one does.  :(

    Edit: Also, because you're buying talisman caches, instead of credits from the website, your city/house is losing out on cr gain from buying credits (which puts more of a tax on them), if you're someone's mentor and they buy talisman caches?  No credits for you.  Etc etc etc.

    Buying credits, directly, keeps the game actually alive and allows cities to do things.  Whilst "oh you bought caches?  Fuck your city/house/mentors" which is also kindddd of a bad thing as well.
  • KyrraKyrra Sanctum of the SkyPosts: 4,291Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    We just had a massive credit promo and my House/City got a bonus off the 2k something credits I bought because why not with an extra 50%? I imagine most orgs raked in quite a few credits last month so I don't see that being that big of a deal.

    I bought caches to help out other folks and admittedly, I'm not really inclined to buy anymore this month. 
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

  • MorthifMorthif Posts: 1,422Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Nicola / @Makarios
      I know you aren't inclined to discuss promo mechanics but some insight would be lovely. I have been obsessed with getting grand magi robes since they were introduced and have had the worst luck getting these pieces. I was very excited to see this months promo but from what everyone is saying it just seems like a lot of money with almost no chance of the reward.
    Penwize
  • DochithaDochitha Posts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Put a bracket around current promo math, and times 2, that'd be fine, and we will monitor and see if further adjustments are needed. Yay!
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,165Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited October 5
    Talisman draw rates have always been a bit wonky, honestly.

    Huge stab in the dark, but if you're seeding the random draw based on time (ergo, a local timestamp in seconds or some other value), some languages and libraries do extremely weird shit if you refresh the seed on an iterative draw. For example, I had a d20 Discord bot which refreshed the seed before each draw in a loop for xd20 rolls (5d20, 10d20, etc). It produced results which were random, but had definitive and noticeable skewing of certain values where it really shouldn't have.

    Turns out the randomized number generation method I was using created a series with said seed over a sequence, meaning that regenerating the seed each time meant that it was resetting the draw back to the first sample of the sequence, so it was significantly less random than it should've been. Wasn't obvious at all for a really long time. Generating the seed once outside of the iterations and then using the sequence produced restored the expected randomness.

    Obviously, totally different codebase and implementation, but still. Food for thought.
    :pleased::pleased:
  • LeviticusLeviticus Posts: 230Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited October 5
    Seragorn said:
    Leviticus said:
    Purchased 120 races caches. Trade in was 2.8K, kept the good ones and completed the ones I did have even if they were lame.

    120 race caches is going to set you back $1100 (4 of the 30 bundles at $275 each), if you'd have spent that at the base credit rate with no bonus your walking away with just under 4k credits (I think you can afford the extra $20 to get that bundle).. I cant confirm your maths without the list of pieces or knowing if that excluded items that you kept, but thats a horrible return. I cant see any value in any bundle except the pure random ones (the cheapest and most tedious option).

    @Makarios @Nicola are you sure this promotion is working as intended?
    I redeemed all the talisman pieces. Can you redeem a completed talisman set??? Is that the promo to get 40 percent??? Because if it is I just fucked up and lost out. I completed 4 lodestones, an archananaiad eye.... and I think that is it. I traded all the other pieces in.

    @Seragorn
    @Cooper
    @Nicola
    @Makarios

  • SerinSerin Posts: 43Member ✭✭ - Stalwart
    I've tried to trade in the DeathDummy that is complete but can't seem to.  Don't know if it is just me doing it wrong.
  • MathildaMathilda Posts: 494Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    @Leviticus The lodestone, for example, trades in for 66 credits. So if you traded in the separate pieces and got less than that...then yes. :(
     <3 
  • CooperCooper IowaPosts: 4,035Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Seragorn said:
    Cooper said:
    The intended 40% bonus is based off of completing a talisman and trading it in, not on pieces. There is the expectation that you find the pieces you need from others, or buy enough off the website.

    I believe it is working as intended, it just doesn't have the same value as globes do. 

    I doubt that would be the case, because only a small percentage of the population would be interested in the promotion (someone like me, who cant even gets close to any bonus by doing exactly that).  Even if it was, its destined to fail because unless your desperate to complete that tumbleweed, nobody in their right mind (sorry @Leviticus, no offense intended) would chase a top end item by this mechanic.
    It is exactly what the announce said! The 40% bonus is based on set tradein value.

    I missed that part as well before I bought 90 random caches, but I came out at an okay amount. Not good, maybe about a 20% bonus.

    Globes still smash every other promo ever run though, including the 20 year anniversary promo. It isn't even close. 

  • MakariosMakarios Posts: 1,448Administrator Achaean staff

    Globes are debatably too good, its true.

    As for this promo, it is a gambling promotion - some people have made a significant return. Obviously some people haven't (which always is frustrating, for us as well because then those people probably won't buy again this month). That said, most of the people buying this month are definitely the people actively trying to complete talismans, as the people wanting consistent credit return mostly bought last month. We went into this promotion knowing that would likely be the case just because of the nature and timing of it. We've already got a fair few more grandmagi pieces in circulation for those people who were crossing their fingers for those, so its a good time to start looking again. I am noticing a lot of frustration is stemming from people buying into the conclave set rather than the other ones which is definitely an avenue I will be investigating today, as conclave has historically been our most popular and lucrative set by a huge margin.

    All that said, I will state that this is the standard talisman generation algorithm, used from everything from the conclave promotion to globes. It hasn't changed since talismans started being generated back in the first talisman promotion we ran, so quite some time ago.

    @Serin: Everything in the death set should trade in, if for some reason you have something that isn't tradein-able send me a message with the item ID and I'll see what the problem is.

    To touch on something @Frederich said (even though slightly off topic), if memory serves your major stocking opened for a discontinued 10 mayan crown item. I'm inclined to say this is a case of value in the eye of the beholder - we typically weight these extremely highly in any promotion that we run, as their typical market value is nontrivial to say the least.

    PrytheDochitha
  • LeviticusLeviticus Posts: 230Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    So do you have to complete the talisman set and then redeem it or redeem the individual pieces to get the 40 percent?
  • MakariosMakarios Posts: 1,448Administrator Achaean staff
    Its usually better to redeem the completed item, though this does depend on the set. Death for instance its almost never worth redeeming single pieces over a completed item, as death pieces have a hard 10 credit value whereas the completed items are worth significantly  more. Completing is always the safe bet.
  • AntoniusAntonius Posts: 4,117Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Makarios said:
    Its usually better to redeem the completed item, though this does depend on the set. Death for instance its almost never worth redeeming single pieces over a completed item, as death pieces have a hard 10 credit value whereas the completed items are worth significantly  more. Completing is always the safe bet.
    When did completed items from the Death set get given tradein values? None of the ones I completed in the first month they were released can be traded in, so I assumed they just didn't - and weren't supposed to - have them. As a result I've redeemed loads of individual pieces (including when I've had enough to complete talismans) because of it.
Sign In to Comment.