Requesting Occultist PvP logs/stories/tips

I thought I'd make this thread for discussing Occultist combat. I thought about making it in the PVP section, but decided against it since I thought I'd ask for any general advice that would apply to the class. So, without further ado, @Dunn @Jinsun I know there's a bunch of other people I could @ but it's not even 8am here at work right now and I can't think.

Would love if anyone who wanted to share Occultist teachings jump in. Random tips, sage wisdom, PvP logs both from Occultist perspective and fighting against them would be lovely. I'm making a class switch when I come back full time and any tidbits are welcome. 

Even if it's things you think I might already know, post em anyway as there are undoubtedly new players drawn to the class who could find this thread and benefit from it.

Thank you in advance, adventurers.

Comments

• I don't log my fights.

My tips:

Don't automate.
    Death tarot is a viable strategy.
    Learn the class inside and out to have the most fun, there's more than you think.
  • Jinsun said:

Learn the class inside and out to have the most fun, there's more than you think.
    I think that is some excellent advice. 

Thinking outside of the box is what makes some people a good combatant and others a legend.
  • I fought an occultist once. Never again. Fuck you.
         He is a coward who has to bring two friends as backup to jump people hunting.

• Devran's List of People to Harass upon Occultism Ascension

1. Ironbeard
    2. Jesus
    3. Xaden
    4. Cinnamon the Humgii
  • edited August 2017

Occie is kinda stupid. Get past a certain point? Run until it wears off or gg. :(

Edit: Unless there's something I'm missing, in which case please enlighten me.

Ha... ha. Puns.

• AustereAustere Tennessee
    Solnir said:

Occie is kinda stupid. Get past a certain point? Run until it wears off or gg. :(

Edit: Unless there's something I'm missing, in which case please enlighten me.

Ha... ha. Puns.

LolLifestone
  • Yeah, lifestone. I knew that one, but... I don't have any, won't get any from RL sales because lolmoney, and don't know anyone with a large enough stockpile to be willing to sell IG.
  • Scrub. Pay2win better.
  • Play alchemist, and you can just brute force your way past cadmus! :D
  • edited August 2017
    Sorta a general tip, take advantage of your brain's pattern recognition, reading+processing is slower than reflex and can get bogged down fast once your mental notepad is spilling over or disrupted -

Colour your affs inflicted and corresponding cures eaten - everyone says this, but Occie can be really spammy. Since bloodleech is random (but smart), it helps to just mentally focus on recognizing one colour vs. the other when you're starting off. I use my numpad, so you can do like everything red on one column and everything green on one column, then just run your fingers up and down as you need.

Initially, I just focused on keeping lethargy stuck, and don't care about maintaining almost anything else (clumsy's pretty good to make sure is stuck though). Again, thinking of keyboard as a grid, I put important affs on the lowest row, and then other ones ascending - so rather than trying to think about if someone has cured X or Y, I just shrug and move up to the next row to avoid worrying about losing momentum and guessing what's cured. If you're really close to cadmus you can stop using lethargy and just hit a new aff so you don't accidentally double up.

Expert diagnoser is great for that, but I think it's good to be able to mentally parse/time your aff flow so you know how screwed you might be vs. how screwed they might be. Occie kind of has to go fast on the enlighten route, so if you're not going fast enough, you're going to lose -  you want to know ASAP so you can figure out plan B, or find some way to hard reset.

If you're really nerdy (or like DDR), you can add in sound queues off certain things and train your fingers to go for certain keys. Just do it for only 1, maybe 2 max - eg. when you see shield or fly, make some sound so you know to dervish/gremlin/whatever. Not that I've done this, or anything. >_>
  • That's some very helpful information and advice @Vallie. Thank you very much for posting it.