Quick Combat Questions

Comments

• edited February 2013
    It doesn't?

Man, why do systems always get so many anti-illusion upgrades, while never bothering much about all the non-serpent classes :( It's not as if there actually are that many serpents around!

EDIT: @Lyr: Oh. Right, then.
  • I'd test but I can't find any dustbombs in Cyrene, and I'm too lazy to go to Delos. 
  • Yes, if you're on mana priority, it will sip mana under blackout (and keep eating moss if your assumestats is below moss eat %).

Test your every skill though and see what gets hidden under blackout - there are surprising oversightsfeatures in every class really as to what doesn't get shown. Knowing that will help you strategize.
  • I would just like to interject that every time Vadi updates SVO anti-illusion and someone beats me then goes "I didn't even know what was happening" I want to strangle small animals to death.
  • edited February 2013
    Like a pro, huh. Lol

edit: to make this comment be useful, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to tell if your illusions aren't working, nevermind lose because of it.
  • I can tell when my illusions aren't working. :( Those are two separate rants. One about AI updates (which I can work around) and one about people being able to defend themselves by just touching shield every five seconds.
  • CaladbolgCaladbolg Campbell County TN
    Tvistor said:
    I can tell when my illusions aren't working. :( Those are two separate rants. One about AI updates (which I can work around) and one about people being able to defend themselves by just touching shield every five seconds.
    I used the ts alias in svo and made a sammich in the middle of us fighting

Worked pretty well I think!

• I recommend using illusions that it doesn't make sense to ignore, and just always assume an auto-check for the target.
    Illusion impatience or anorexia every time and they can kiss their focus balance goodbye. Unfortunately always have to use bite or hypnosis afflictions, since a two line illusion without a delivery method might be ignored. Unless they're in blackout, then go crazy.
    I like my steak like I like my Magic cards: mythic rare.
  • Already doing that. Hardest part was getting used to Omni's darkshade > clumsy priority which made everything easier, than realizing default SVO is clumsy > darkshade.
  • While we're on serpents, anybody have a list of all the possible afflictions a viper can give? And does anything stop their bites?
    And about how often they hit?
    Xith said:
    While we're on serpents, anybody have a list of all the possible afflictions a viper can give? And does anything stop their bites?
    It's always Loki so assuming it's all venoms.
    I think every 5 seconds but im not sure on that.
    Killing the snake stops it. (Pretty easy to kill tbh)

• Caladbolg said:
    Xith said:
    While we're on serpents, anybody have a list of all the possible afflictions a viper can give? And does anything stop their bites?
    It's always Loki so assuming it's all venoms.
    I think every 5 seconds but im not sure on that.
    Killing the snake stops it. (Pretty easy to kill tbh)
    Now that I think about it, I knew it was Loki. Not sure why I asked that.

"This unpredictable toxin will afflict your victim with a random venom."
    That does mean any of the other venoms, right?
  • It seems like they have a chance to attack every 4 seconds, but they don't always. I've seen as much as 24 seconds between attacks.
  • EldEld
    edited February 2013
    Loki's most venoms but not all, right? As far as I've seen, no nechamandra, vardrax, prefarar...maybe one or two others? Though I'm not sure what vardrax would look like to a non-necromancer.
    edited February 2013
    I've bitten Prefarar before - I think- it probley just stripped your deaf so you put it back up. or I might be mistaken.

Not sure on the rest.

I know i've bitten Vardax Selrina 3 times in a roll before

And pretty sure ive bitten Vardax before.

(Biting loki shows what venom you bit with)

Also I don't think Vardax gives an affliction I think it just drains essence although I may be mistaken. in that case Loki would hide the message it gives and you would get nothing other then the loki message. But this is all guessing

• Loki can definitely be prefarar. Not sure on the rest.
  • Yeah if I had to guess I'd imagine it doesn't/shouldn't give vardrax or selarnia. But I know I've diagnosed before to find that I'm afflicted with severmorph, so probably from the snake.
    It probably doesn't give sumac or camus. I'd also think oleander and colocasia would be somewhat useless. But the uselessness might be part of what balances having the snake.
    On the other hand, if it ever hits with Scytherus that could be a little evil. Someone should take a biting from Loki for a while, only cure the voyria/anorexia as needed, then diagnose and see what you got. That's how I tested pestilence ring.
    edited February 2013
    Xith said:
    Yeah if I had to guess I'd imagine it doesn't/shouldn't give vardrax or selarnia. But I know I've diagnosed before to find that I'm afflicted with severmorph, so probably from the snake.
    It probably doesn't give sumac or camus. I'd also think oleander and colocasia would be somewhat useless. But the uselessness might be part of what balances having the snake.
    On the other hand, if it ever hits with Scytherus that could be a little evil. Someone should take a biting from Loki for a while, only cure the voyria/anorexia as needed, then diagnose and see what you got. That's how I tested pestilence ring.
    Oleander and Colocasia is possible, Striped someones Sileris and was like Loki mother fer and then got that a few times and the Selarnia and I was like really.. Also other than Voyria curing Anorexia doesn't need to be cured as it's a focusable and impatience doesn't come from venoms.

• Yeah I meant cure it once you have Voyria.
    My question for the night is...

Is there an effective way to deal with Occultist minions spam wise? I don't want to gag the lines completely because I feel that I should have something on my screen showing me im getting attacked. on the other hand I honestly can bearly see my screen from the spam im getting from ents.

Dunno if this would be better asked in the script fourm but it's actually a combat question.

• I kill the - out of those things. 

Honestly you should just have your attacks brightly highlighted in a nice color (like sunny yellow on orange!), and then the important things for Occultists like Stars in something dreadful and alarming (like black on blood red!). You're a Blademaster - Occultist is absolutely helpless. Fitness keep up, Alleviate on Blackout and Evade v everything else. Dodging for Stars, but really Evade/Bounding for Tentacle bypass.

1.6 second bashing attack is just the cherry on top, but it'll fix your spam problem. Start with the humbug.
  • Am I the only one that thinks it is really pointless to attempt to kill occie ents? Orbing/attacking them just means insta resummon anyway. 
  • Iphis said:
    Am I the only one that thinks it is really pointless to attempt to kill occie ents? Orbing/attacking them just means insta resummon anyway. 
    Yes.

I insta rekill. It's sweet, and a losing battle for the Occie.
  • edited February 2013
    Xith said:
    I recommend using illusions that it doesn't make sense to ignore, and just always assume an auto-check for the target.
    Illusion impatience or anorexia every time and they can kiss their focus balance goodbye. Unfortunately always have to use bite or hypnosis afflictions, since a two line illusion without a delivery method might be ignored. Unless they're in blackout, then go crazy.
    Only occupying their focus balance does you little good. Making them focus once is a good thing for sticking certain key afflictions like weariness, but otherwise it's relatively pointless unless you only want to drain their willpower.

I recommend not assuming all too much, but trying. What kind of things people will ignore or not ignore can change quite a bit, so you need to experiment a bit with it.

Two line illusions without a delivery method will be ignored, yes, but dstab illusions with only a single affliction usually won't. Some still ignore them, but then you can use the hell out of the fact by just pairing venoms with voyria/selarnia when dstabbing and locking them quite easily.
    Sena said:
    It seems like they have a chance to attack every 4 seconds, but they don't always. I've seen as much as 24 seconds between attacks.
    Yeah. It's probably something like a 50% chance to attack every 4 seconds. (The 50% is just a very rough guess, I never tested it extensively.)
    If it is indeed 50%, that would make the average attack time ~8 seconds.
    Eld said:
    Loki's most venoms but not all, right? As far as I've seen, no nechamandra, vardrax, prefarar...maybe one or two others? Though I'm not sure what vardrax would look like to a non-necromancer.
    Loki is all venoms except sumac and camus.
  • Iocun said:
    Xith said:
    I recommend using illusions that it doesn't make sense to ignore, and just always assume an auto-check for the target.
    Only occupying their focus balance does you little good. Making them focus once is a good thing for sticking certain key afflictions like weariness, but otherwise it's relatively pointless unless you only want to drain their willpower.

I recommend not assuming all too much, but trying. What kind of things people will ignore or not ignore can change quite a bit, so you need to experiment a bit with it.

Two line illusions without a delivery method will be ignored, yes, but dstab illusions with only a single affliction usually won't. Some still ignore them, but then you can use the hell out of the fact by just pairing venoms with voyria/selarnia when dstabbing and locking them quite easily.
    Sena said:
    It seems like they have a chance to attack every 4 seconds, but they don't always. I've seen as much as 24 seconds between attacks.
    Yeah. It's probably something like a 50% chance to attack every 4 seconds. (The 50% is just a very rough guess, I never tested it extensively.)
    If it is indeed 50%, that would make the average attack time ~8 seconds.
    Eld said:
    I have never noticed Vardrax but I don't manage my essence incredibly closely, certainly it's a hidden effect if nothing else. Fairly certain I've seen nechamandra and scytherus.

• Iocun said:

• I stand corrected.
  • Mizik said:
    Iphis said:
    Am I the only one that thinks it is really pointless to attempt to kill occie ents? Orbing/attacking them just means insta resummon anyway. 
    Yes.

I insta rekill. It's sweet, and a losing battle for the Occie.
    Assuming you're willing to spend 5k+ gold in sigils, and that the Occultist doesn't just go re-pact when their pact runs out.

• He said kill, not orb.