Constant disconnection from Nexus

I got a new laptop and since then, I get constantly disconnected from Nexus, about every five minutes although it's random. Sometimes I'll be fine for 20 minutes, sometimes I'll get disconnected over and over again. It did not happen on my old laptop that used the same network. It does not happen on my phone.  No other services seem to have interruptions at the same time (like if I'm streaming music or a video, it doesn't pause). 

Anyone have troubleshooting suggestions? I'm going to try another client just to see if it disconnects too, but I'm really unwilling to switch long-term. I know all the advantages of mudlet but I have a nexus system I'm incredibly happy with and the simplified coding system lets me do a lot of things without having to learn actual coding. I know nexus works, it works on my other computer, so there has to be something on my computer interacting with it badly. I just don't know how to figure out what that is or how to fix it. 

Comments

• I had a friend having this exact same issue, during this exact same time, but it seems to have resolved itself. Is it still happening to you?
  • edited July 2017
    It got quite a bit better around the 24th but today I'm disconnecting all over the place again. It does not happen when I log in from my husband's surface pro or when I'm logged in on my phone (connected to the same wireless network). So it's not my wifi itself, it has to be the computer or some interaction between the computer and the wifi. 

ETA: I normally play on chrome but I have the same issue when using firefox and IE. 
  • block of various suggestions -

Do you know if it's just nexus' connection that drops or do you have other connectivity drop at the time too? You can keep task manager open to the incoming packets graphs and see if you see a really sharp drop in the graph when you get the disconnection issues.

Try also doing a direct wire to the router and see if that helps, maybe your laptop doesn't have precedence on the wireless network or something. If it's a two band router, put your phones to the 2.4ghz band and your laptop to the 5.1.

I had some connectivity issues (and still sorta do), I find it usually happens when I'm playing another game at the same time as I'm on Mudlet and I don't do anything in that particular window. I noticed an improvement once I forcibly switched to google's DNS (I think its 8.8.8.8?) - there's a lot of guides online to do this, you just plug in that number to your ethernet configuration.

Also check to see if there's any driver updates you're missing for your network card.
  • Thanks @Vallie that's really helpful. I've tried things like running streaming video at the same time and that hasn't been interrupted, but I'll try the packet graph, then the wire to the router, then if those don't work the DNS switch. 

I can't update drivers because it's a work laptop. I have a desktop but I like my couch a lot. I may have to sacrifice comfort if it keeps up though!

• Streaming won't necessarily show you if it's an issue - usually when you stream you're buffering some amount ahead, so you won't notice interruption unless the outage lasts longer than the amount you have buffered ahead.

On the plus side, it sounds like that means your outages are pretty short!

If it's a work laptop, you can probably ask your (hopefully) friendly IT dude/dudettes to do a general driver update for you, and just mention you're having intermittent packet losses especially if you can show proof from the task manager graph :)