Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Class Mastery

DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,159Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
Put simply - this system would allow people to choose ONE class that they intend to stick with and gain an extra post-transcendent skill in their embraced skill which would add a new mechanic to the class. 

This mechanic would be strong and potentially path-changing, but the caveat being that you may only have access to one of these mechanics per character, ever. This would be akin to a 'class specialization'. If it can be changed, it isn't something that can be done lightly. Maybe a quest would be needed to unlock this stuff in the first place.

Here's a few ideas for what these extra abilities could be:

Depthswalker: Aeonics - Timelapse
A master Depthswalker may mark a person at a point in time, and at a cost of 800 age, instantly revert the state of that person's afflictions and injuries back to the marked point. Using this ability when it would put you above the age cap will kill you outright.

Apostate: Apostasy - Exarch
Your summoned Baalzadeen becomes an Exarch of its kind, gaining a new appearance, 50% additional health, passive health regeneration and the ability to expend 20% of your health and 10% of its health to balancelessly use a daegger puncture attack every 15 seconds.

Monk: Telepathy - Stillness
You may cast the stillness of your mind into a protective barrier around you, briefly rendering you completely undetectable by any farsight-like abilities. This barrier lasts for 25 seconds or until you undertake an aggressive action, whichever happens first.

Priest: Healing - Absolution
At the cost of 30% angel power and a large mana cost, you may now raise an impenetrable shield around a target. No attacks may breach this shield, but every attempted hit against it will drain 5% angel power and place the person off balance for 1s. The shield lasts for 10 seconds or until the person shielded performs an aggressive action, or is removed if the angel involved runs out of power or is dismissed.

Blademaster: Shindo - Totality
At a nominal Shin cost, you may suffuse your form with extreme speed, all but eliminating room movement delay (delay per 20 rooms) and any balance cost associated with Shindo mobility skills (leap high, bounding, leap). In addition, you may dash while heavy in this state. Lasts for 30 seconds, but can only be performed once every 2 minutes.

Runewarden: Runelore - Runeaffinity
While active, this ability will allow you to sketch all runes with no ink cost, a nominal mana and willpower cost substituted in their stead. You may also sketch ground runes at double speed, but the skill will end the moment you perform an offensive action that isn't sketching a rune or holding a totem up. All rune effects will also tick twice as fast on both allies and enemies.

Paladin: Devotion - Bladefire
You may wreathe your blades in the holy fire of Templar's past, causing them to deal significant extra fire damage on hit. Targets suffering from an Inquisition will take double the bonus damage. In addition, any rites fervoured during bladefire will proc immediately on the next bladefire hit the first time they are created.

Infernal: Necromancy - Scourge
While putrified and with an infestation present in the room, you may draw the unholy maggots into your flesh and drive yourself into a terrible rage. Each strike in this state will give you large amounts of life essence. You may choose to spend life essence to bolster either your attack speed or your damage, but the frantic nature of your attacks will prevent venoms from applying with regularity during this state.

Alchemist: Formulation - Rubedo
Attempt to complete the vaunted final step of the Philosopher's Stone, Rubedo. You must be under the effects of Mayology for this to function, but you will find that for a brief, all-encompassing moment, you will become absolutely and utterly unstoppable by any mortal means. No binding will slow you, no damage shall harm you, no affliction shall affect you. Slaying ten mortals within the Mayology window with which you started the process will complete the reddening, and you will receive a completed Philosopher's Stone.

Sentinel: Woodlore - Packleader
The Wolf companion now becomes a permanent class loyal. It may be named and will assist you with attacking your foes, both denizen and adventurer. Summoning a wolf with Woodlore versus an adventurer will briefly massively increase the damage the pet does for a short period of time.

Druid: Reclamation - Merge
You may descend into the greenery of your plant network, becoming one with it. While in this state, you have direct control over your vines and where they choose to spread, and they will spread at a significantly increased rate. You may move your attention freely to any room in your network and target reclamation effects directly at one person, and the Wrath ability will not sacrifice any room but the one it is used from in this state. If your network is reduced to 1/3 of what it was when you started the merge, or the room from which you merged with is removed from your network, you will instantly die.

Jester: Pranks - Nimblefingers
You may now juggle up to 5 items at once, and such is your skill with juggling that any thrown items immediately return to you to be juggled once again. In addition, you may juggle Tarot cards, though they are destroyed after they are flung via juggling.

Magi: Artificing - Titan
Channel the power of your existing vibrations into your crystalline golem, and ascend its form to a towering beast. The titan will rampage at your command within the local area, pursuing targets and acting as a mobile tether for your vibrations until it is slain or until you are slain.

Occultist: Occultism - Window
You may use your knowledge of the ties that bind the planes of Creation to open a window to the Outer Cold. The act will render you immobile and completely unable to perform any action, but those who remain in the room with you after a certain duration will be hurled with you into the depths of the multiverse, and perish instantly and truly among the stars. The window will also actively pull people in from neighbouring rooms from a fair distance away, through mass or other blocking effects. So great is this demise that all will be forced to enter the Halls of Death immediately. You will gain massive amounts of karma for each target killed in this way.

Bard: Voicecraft - Finale
You may bring your harmonics to a thundering head, ending them instantly but applying a double-strength version of their buff to all mutual allies in the room for 15 seconds. Each kill you achieve during this timeframe will refresh the buff duration on all targets, regardless of where they are. The effect will fade if you perish.

Sylvan: Propagation - Greenblood
You may briefly cultivate all known species of herb upon your viridian form, and gain all of their benefits. In addition, curing in this state will not consume herbs of any kind, and moss, health and mana elixir potency will be doubled. Slaying a foe with heartseed during this state will allow you to retrieve the heartblossom, which may be consumed by anyone at a later date to instantly cure all afflictions and restore some health and mana.

:pleased::pleased:
XadenShirszaeTitonus

Comments

• SobriquetSobriquet Posts: 1,546Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No comment other than 5 juggled axes with returning? Are you quite mad?
    Caelan
  • FarrahFarrah Posts: 1,357Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I mean, they're all ridiculously OP and would destroy combat balance. This would never happen.
    AntidasCaelan
  • SenaSena Posts: 3,805Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Alchemists skipping right over Albedo and Citrinitas and effortlessly completing the final step, which even the Cauda Pavonis has never achieved and doesn't know what the result would be? Makes sense.
    KryptonAhmet
  • EheneEhene Posts: 77Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    An interesting idea, but yeah, maybe a little bit... much. Although I think the bard one is really cool.

• AralayaAralaya Posts: 481Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    As much as the ideas of these sound awesome, they are insanely overpowered. If these ever became a thing they would need to be harshly nerfed to become even remotely balanced.

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
    Something of the sort (super class abilities) could actually be cool as like an Avatar-level or foray-talisman level thing, where you have to put in tons of work for one use. They'd still have to be tweaked so they are more even across the classes (some are way stronger than others). But this really couldn't be something you just "unlock" and then have permanently.
    Cailin
  • AralayaAralaya Posts: 481Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Farrah said:
    Something of the sort (super class abilities) could actually be cool as like an Avatar-level or foray-talisman level thing, where you have to put in tons of work for one use. They'd still have to be tweaked so they are more even across the classes (some are way stronger than others). But this really couldn't be something you just "unlock" and then have permanently.
    Balancing it that way would actually be kinda cool, get yourself to be an Avatar but when you use it you have to sacrifice the Avatar. Only problem with making it Avatar based is smaller Orders might have a harder time getting the necessary essence, so the foray-talismans is a better idea imo

Tecton-Today at 6:17 PM

teehee b.u.t.t. pirates
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,159Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 9
    I mean, they're just suggestions, but yeah, the general premise is extra "defining" ability that you get for choosing to specialize with the class, accessible only after completing a fairly lengthy quest as well.

Something I miss from pre-multiclass Achaea was the sort of roles people fell into by being long-term members of their class.
    DochithaTahquil
  • SolnirSolnir Posts: 303Member ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Cool idea, as said though way overpowered. Would love something to encourage people to stick with one class, though, as a main.
    Tahquil
  • AtalkezAtalkez Posts: 3,904Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'd be down to see something similar to this. Blademaster master class

You hug Aurora compassionately.
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaPosts: 2,054Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    where Serpent doe?
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    DochithaShimiCaelanAmanda
  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 473Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    What if doing this meant you couldn't change class for like a month or something? You have the special ability for that time
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    Cailin
  • DochithaDochitha Posts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    So you be a jester with insta aeon lock, I'd be an alchie immune to your affliction and hinder. Occie will suck all of us in to know depthswalker killed himself to timeslapse us and we both get killed by serpent cos it's unknown. 
    Kyrra
    edited July 9
    Aralaya said:
    Farrah said:
    Balancing it that way would actually be kinda cool, get yourself to be an Avatar but when you use it you have to sacrifice the Avatar. Only problem with making it Avatar based is smaller Orders might have a harder time getting the necessary essence, so the foray-talismans is a better idea imo

I didn't mean tying it to Avatar at all. I just meant "Avatar-level" difficulty to obtain. Tying a class mechanic to order stuff would be poor design. It has nothing to do with orders, and wouldn't be usable by anyone not in an order then.

It's not a good idea for balance to give some kind of permanent OP ability to people with the only limitation being they only get it as one class, though. That's not a real limitation, for one thing, because people would just pick the most OP power available to them and specialize that. So this would be everywhere, and things would be way unbalanced.

But also, what you're trying to do above all really is punish people for playing multiple classes which is effectively punishing people for spending more money on the game, and is also bad design. Why should someone who only transes one class be stronger than someone who transes 10? I mean, I get it, but it's not really logical.

Maybe some kind of "attunement" that just gives a small utility bonus based on what class you're attuned to, and is permanent unless you quit that class completely, but the attunement provides the bonus plus some flavor across multiple classes. So like someone attuned to sylvan has something "sylvan-y" even when they're a runewarden. I don't know if that accomplishes your intent or not though.

• ExelethrilExelethril moar theta decayPosts: 3,088Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited July 9
    I like the serpent idea the most.

How about 'one finger death punch' for monk instead?

[ SnB PvP Guide | Link ]

[ Runewarden Sparring Videos | Link ]
    DochithaAhmetTysandr
  • DochithaDochitha Posts: 1,003Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Shaman - Rise of Arayan
    You may ultra-resurrect fallen allies without a doll. 
    Daeir
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,159Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Serpent: Subterfuge - Eyepoint
    Channeling your supreme mastery of the bow, you may instigate an extremely high damage ranged attack on any target within your line of sight. They will receive only seconds of warning before your arrow comes hurtling towards them, and if it kills them, it has a high chance of piercing through any mutual allies they have at their side for additional damage.

Shaman: Spiritlore - Unity
    Throwing caution to the wind, you may break the limits of safe Spiritlore practice and attune yourself to all spirits at once, even those you have not bound. You may do this for as long as you wish, but every 15 seconds you must contest against the spirits inhabiting you for control of your body, and if you fail, you risk suffering a variety of effects (depends on the spirit), or potentially being killed outright.
    Amanda
  • AmranuAmranu Posts: 714Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Shaman's is obviously obliterate
    SolnirDochitha
    That'd be some funny shit. Soulrend 12 times and your opponent is dead.
  • JovoloJovolo EnglandPosts: 3,119Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    That's an interesting use of the word funny
    Tysandr
  • CailinCailin Posts: 60Member ✭✭ - Stalwart
    I think it would be cool to have this just as flavor. You pick one of your classes to be your 'favorite' or 'main'. For me it'd be druid, my first class and the one that matches my RP. So basically in the future, I'm a druid, who learned bard for practical reasons. So I select druid as my primary class, (you could choose any of your three classes) and I unlock this flavor ability, which could have a quest or something-- anyways I think it sounds neat. But not as such a powerful thing.

PS The Sentinel idea that gives you a free minipet makes me want to be a Sentinel
    Keorin
  • KeorinKeorin Posts: 352Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    I haven't even bothered reading through the abilities, because lol, but I like the concept of getting some sort of flavor/mechanical reward for investment into a single class.

Class roleplay was one of my favorite sorts of roleplay in this game since I started playing, with the uniqueness of classes like Occie, Infernal, and Serpent being some of the main factors that drew me into the game. And while I've got no interest in rose-tinted lenses, it seems rather clear that post-multiclass has more and more seen classes treated and talked about purely as skillsets, rather then as a form of identity, with people generally taking as many as their wallet allows. 

While accessibility of classes for multi class is obviously a huge moneymaker, something like this, maybe especially if it were flavor or utility-oriented skills instead of combat-oriented, could possibly help to flesh out class identity and the idea of living as a class in the post-multiclass game world.
    CailinShimi
  • TorinnTorinn Posts: 473Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    @Keorin fully agree. Some of the best RP I've ever done or witnessed was class based.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
    Daeir
Sign In to Comment.