Auntie Maim. Too anachronistic?

AktillumAktillum Philippines
edited December 2012 in North of Thera
It is well known that the Maim questline is quite heavily based on the 1955 novel Auntie Mame, which follows a boy named Patrick. All of the denizens in Maim's mansion are lifted from this book. Nothing against the book, but I am forced to avoid Maim's mansion IG because it completely destroys the fourth wall for me.

"She has helped Auntie Maim bring her nephew back from the dead."

Just seeing this when I HONORSF people is enough to make me cringe. The immersion is ruined for me. I actually want to go outside now. How can we go about deleting Maim's mansion?

Edit: This is a serious discussion.

Comments

• SherazadSherazad Planef Urth
    I thought we were supposed to delete Bopalopia first?
    Bleh, work ate my gaming life.
    내가 제일 잘 나가!!!111!!1

• edited December 2012
    Give it a rest, Aktillum.

Edit: The book is Auntie Mame, by the way.
  • AktillumAktillum Philippines
    Don't be ridiculous, Delph, you can't tell me it doesn't burn you up inside every time you see Maim shout "Success!"

• I think you're misusing the word "anachronistic."
  • edited December 2012
    @Aktillum: Doesn't matter; the intent is pretty obvious. Keep it in one thread.
    Delphinus said:
    @Aktillum: Doesn't matter; the intent is pretty obvious. Keep it in one thread.
    There's a thread for Druids, a thread for Cyrene, a thread for Jesters and now a thread for Maim. Are you suggesting we compile one big thread for things that shouldn't exist / need changing?

• edited December 2012
    I'm saying you should wait and think before posting. Maybe sleep on it. I recommend a relaxing nap.

On the off chance you are being serious: Yes, Auntie Maim manages to be both a landmark in area/quest design, and a nadir in the way of lore writing. However, there are many other things (jesters, Bopalopia, Pandora) more jarring than a little tucked-away mansion.
    edited December 2012
    A good idea perhaps, so we can discuss this grave injustice against roleplay in the morning. Though I'm afraid if I sleep on it, I will toss and turn all night, thinking about all the OOC things that Achaea draws from.

Edit: I hope Pandora reads your comment and flags you for abuse of the flag for abuse button.

• Aktillum said:
    A good idea perhaps, so we can discuss this grave injustice against roleplay in the morning. Though I'm afraid if I sleep on it, I will toss and turn all night, thinking about all the OOC things that Achaea draws from.
    Yeah okay, you're not being serious. My mistake.
    edited December 2012
    I am being serious, and if you don't stop derailing my thread by implying that I'm not serious, I'll be forced to flag you for abuse.

• Sure, there are a few things that bug me ingame too.  How about we delete those?
    Confused.

• Well, now I have to take anachronistic out of the list of things I've never heard in a sentence before. Also wow, that's amazing. I never knew that, I always thought "Auntie Maim" was a weird name for a denizen. Learn something new every day!

I'm not particular either way on removing it or not, but removing it might do more harm than good. Altering it might be a step in the middle. I can see Aktillum's point because if I saw a character named Rahnd Al'Tor in an area locked in endless battle against the Not-Bright One, it would bug me too. Then again, it's been in the game forever, and I don't think it's a well known book (until this thread anyways) so! Not sure.
  • Auntie Maim's inclusion does not detract from the game in any way. If she was driving a Mercedes around, it might. But until that point, pls don't call her anachronistic/delete. Thx.
  • I would think the wheel of time would be way more popular than this book. I can't say I've ever heard of it.

I had a bit of a giggle when I saw a (young) character called "Apolloduros" or something, but figured it was probably some legitimate greek word/mythos as well as the book I know it from.

Honourable, knight eternal,

Darkly evil, cruel infernal.

Necromanctic to the core,

Dance with death forever more.

• Never heard of Rean's reference. Knew Auntie Mame from the movie version, which my mom used to play a lot when I was little.
    I actually liked seeing semi-familiar names like Auntie Maim or Dr. Kortoxian when I started playing.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • If you have never read Wheel of Time, you are not a nerd, and you should feel bad.

Woah! Dr. Kortoxian is from a book too? What?
  • I don't have the energy to read the Wheel of Time. I've heard too many bad-to-mediocre things about it to make me want to pick the first one up.

I was thinking Dr. Kevorkian from real life.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
    They should probably remove all instances of the word "Zarathustra" from Ashtan, it's like they based that city around the works of Nietzche or something.

• I like Alyson Hannigan and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

@Blujixapug won this thread for me. :D
  • I started playing achaea because Atavians reminded my of the Icarii race in The Wayfarer Redemption trilogies.

If not for it, I probably would never had picked up achaea.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    bards remind me of zorro, he sings while he fights too and i'm pretty sure  he just spams ditty. Should delete zorro.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • edited December 2012
    EDIT: -Nevermind, I'm saving this gif for a good day.-

@Aktillum I didn't know that! TIL.
    "Trust in me, Universe, I will deliver / the promise that no-one shall ever / set their mind to games or play / for Serious Order is the way. I will not rest until it is done; / rules will be made for everyone. / They will know Order and its graces - and just like me, all shall be Greyfaces." - The Heroes of Sapience, Act 5, Greyface.
This discussion has been closed.