Do you like extended communication?

edited December 2012 in North of Thera
Just out of curiosity, I know I can't be the only person that hates it and wishes it would go back to the way things were. Personally I wish we could send letters long distance, and leave it at that. Or give us an option.

Comments

• I'm fine with being able to talk worldwide, only thing I dislike is showing up on qw if I'm on an island/ship/meropis/whatever. Makes it hard to hide from people/quickly see who's on ulangi or wherever with me

• MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    i hated going off plane before, and i wouldn't mind it now if i wasn't so lazy and a bum or a shrub

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • I really must be out of touch with the game, 'cause I don't know what "extended communication" means in Achaea.

But if it is what I think it is, I'd rather we stuck to letters.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    The problem with not having the long-distance communication was that if you wanted to go up north or to an island, it basically turned into a one-player game and that's not what Achaea is. I much prefer the way it is now.
  • @Mishgul that's exactly why I loved going off plane.   On the plus side, I'm sure bed sales are up... ooohhh, it was all a conspiracy.  No wonder @Tecton loves it.   :-S
  • EldEld
    edited December 2012
    Erasariel said:
    I really must be out of touch with the game, 'cause I don't know what "extended communication" means in Achaea. But if it is what I think it is, I'd rather we stuck to letters.
    She means being able to hear/see people on communication channels planewide, including the far north, islands, and Meropis, as opposed to the old regime where being in those places was essentially the same as being on another plane (UW, Annwyn, Bop, etc). The more realistic version would be "stick to messages" rather than letters, since the places it applies to don't have post offices, making letters one-way communication for these purposes.
  • @Mishgul, @Idelisa: Off-plane tells and channels are still limited, though.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    There was a lot of the game I'd never experienced before "extended comms" because I hated not being available to the Housemates that rely on Knights to advance. Now that we can communicate abroad, I've been exploring Seafaring, Meropis, and the farther wilderness-accessible areas.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • @Eld - to be fair they're delivered by birds (and cute cuddly gremlins).  No post office required.  
  • OceanaOceana North Sea
    edited December 2012
    Although I loved the feel of being alone on an island, exploring or patrolling, knowing there was a busy world elsewhere, the benefits of being able to communicate with others are greater than the inconvenience of noise.

Edit: forgot the word able.
  • I like it, but I wish there was a way to see if people were on a Ship, or Island, or in the Wilderness or whatnot as opposed to Mainland Spiance...
  • @Oceana - quit being so reasonable.  >:P
  • I don't see how communication is an issue. 

SILENCEON. 

It's more the people being able to see you in qwho. 

BUY SOME CREDITS AND STOP SKIMPING OUT YOU NOOB.

• @Garao SILENCEON / TELLSOFF gets nice messages questioning why I don't have the Clan/City/House channel on.
  • msg reply because I'm off plane so I can spend some alone time. Nothing's wrong, just need to get some stuff done.

it's not difficult :P

• Says you. :P
  • I like being able to chat on CLT, but I don't like being shown on HWHO/QW/etc on the continent because, for instance, people ask me for blessings when I'm on Meropis. Having to reply 'sorry, I'm on Meropis' isn't awful, but QWHO sort of makes me think "oh this person is available".
  • An option suitable to my response is not represented. No one ever represents a "meh, don't care" option. EVER. Why can't those of us who don't care ever get to voice our opinions?!

So... yeah, my response is "meh."
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United States
    I used to enjoy going sailing and island hoping and being able to 'get away from it all'. An option to toggle whether you want to be visible across the entire plain, or between plains, and allow communications would be nice. Sort of like how Commscreen is for ships.

• Idelisa said:
    @Eld - to be fair they're delivered by birds (and cute cuddly gremlins).  No post office required.  
    Trained birds of the sort that you find at post offices. If someone sends you a letter while you're on Mysia, you can't just hand a reply off to a parrot and expect it to get back.
  • @Eld, ah yes, I should have clarified that I meant TO the person.  But either way it's a moot point. 

@Daklore, my sincerest apologies for the lack of apathetic options.  I'm generally a meh person myself, so I feel your pain. :P
  • wasn't there talk about a minor trait that could turn things back for those who wants to be hermits?

• EilonaEilona United Kingdom
    edited December 2012
    Veldrin said:
    wasn't there talk about a minor trait that could turn things back for those who wants to be hermits?
    Yup, it's on The List.

"27. Trait that reduces the range of who skills both as a target and checker.
  • I was actually in between the last two options. But then I realized those damn kids are ALWAYS ON MY FREAKING LAWN.

• What @Daeir said, except for me it's exploring rather than hunting. I used to love exploring. This change really killed it for me. It also made secret meetings prohibitively hard (particularly if I don't want to be interrupted by House/city), removing a fun avenue of espionage RP-- and I don't have that many avenues. Finally, I can no longer tell a chameleon from an off-plane person and I can't do paperwork or edit scrolls in a distraction-free environment.
    Since the change was implemented, Achaea has gotten a lot less fun for me, to the point where I've seriously considered quitting.

(Clan): Ictinus says, "Stop it Jiraishin, you're making me like you."
  • @Jiraishin: There's that same ridiculous melodrama I remember from the other thread.

I'm sorry, but is it that difficult to tell your citymates, "Silence, I am busy"?
  • @Delphinus Yes.

• In Mhaldor, as an Exsusiai, Viceroy, and the Nagaraja, I find that very hard to believe.
  • It's not hard to say, but it doesn't solve the majority of my problems. It won't restore the solitary atmosphere of exploring, and it won't make it easier to tell if someone is watching me or keep my contact's Housemates/citymates/friends from questioning their whereabouts.