Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,629 @@ - Legendary Achaean
edited April 23 in The Universal Membrane
Just curious what the general opinion amongst Achaean is.

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie? 64 votes

Yes, of course.
84%
TectonAchillesTrillianaSenaKinilanErasarielKyrraExelethrilSkyeTreyJonathinBlujixapugRangorAntoniusDakloreSobriquetOceanaHyperlithBronislavKenway 54 votes
No, absolutely not.
15%
KresslackAodfionnShirszaeDaeirAmranuDarktalonRyzethShaydeAdrakNicola 10 votes

Comments

• MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Anyone who votes "no" doesn't know the true meaning of christmas:

Bruce Willis and explosions.
    TrillianaTrey
  • RyzethRyzeth Member Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    No, absolutely not.
    I wouldn't say "Absolutely not" but... It depends on your definition of the word 'Christmas Movie'...

In the traditional sense of the definition, no, it's not a Christmas Movie...
    ...In the sense that it's a movie, that occurs on/around the time of Christmas, then yes it is.
  • SeverinaSeverina Member Posts: 89 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Yes, of course.
    It's a great Christmas movie, along with other 80s mainstays like Gremlins and Lethal Weapon.
    TrillianaKyrraRangorLiyane
  • AesiAesi Member Posts: 1,209 @ - Epic Achaean
    edited April 23
    Yes, of course.
    I have a tradition of watching Charlie Brown Christmas followed by Die Hard. Very much a Christmas movie 
    Trilliana
  • ZahanZahan ValhallaMember Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    stuff
    Well, that settles it.  =)

/thread
    Click here for Nexus packages
    Currently available: Abs, Cnote, Keepalive, Lootpet, Mapmod
    Liyane
  • TaryiusTaryius Member Posts: 240 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Never seen it.. Yup
  • AodfionnAodfionn Seattle, WAMember Posts: 1,194 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No, absolutely not.
    I voted but then Bluji changed my mind.

Nothing beats Elf, though.
    Aurora says, "Are you drunk, Aodfionn?" 

(The Targossian Academy): Halos says, "Go on! I need to feel the wind in my hair!"

Aziik
  • MelodieMelodie MhaldorMember Posts: 4,463 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 23
    Elf is an abomination to the world and should be quickly sacrificed and slaughtered, lest we all fall to Oblivion irl.

(I have no opinion of Die Hard - I am among the "not actually seen it" camp.)
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesMember Posts: 5,629 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    No, absolutely not.
    I think the main things I considered regarding this was the fact that Christmas is not a staple of the plot. The movie can play out easily enough on Thanksgiving, or any day really. 

That the story takes place around Christmas, and has some Christmas decorations doesn't make it a Christmas movie. I think it's a really good action movie.

Essentially a man is visiting his wife and daughter, which happens to be during Christmas. The office party is hosted by a Japanese company to, primarily, celebrate the closure of a recent deal. Due to the timing, they essentially decide to merge the celebrations in respect of the location and culture. 

Not to mention it was released in July. If you take away the setting of Christmas Eve, it's simply an action film on par with Con Air.

Shirszae
  • NazihkNazihk Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yes, of course.
    Not only is it a Christmas movie, it is the best Christmas movie.
    Trilliana
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 2,380 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Not only Die Hard, but also Lethal Weapon: What says Christmas better than a coked up prostitute jumping off a balcony to the tune of Jingle Bell Rock?

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."

SarathaiNazihkSiduriBann
  • NicolaNicola Administrator Posts: 492 Achaean staff
    No, absolutely not.
    Christmas movies in my house have been defined by the BBC over the years, they include Jurassic Park, Batteries Not Included, Flight of the Navigator, Ferngully, Muppet Treasure Island, and Bedknobs and Broomsticks (to name a few.)

Nothing featuring Bruce Willis will ever be permitted on my TV at any time of the year.
    Daeir
  • NazihkNazihk Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yes, of course.
    No Pulp Fiction, Die Hard, or The Fifth Element? :( :( :(
    BlujixapugBann
  • LyrinLyrin Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Yes, of course.
    Not many people know this, but "yippie ki-yay motherfucker" was actually a traditional Christmas greeting long before Roy Rogers misappropriated it in the 1950s.   The Lethal Weapon franchise was an attempt to restore Christmas values by instilling new generations with traditional festive language.
    BlujixapugLiyane
  • MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Image result for the grinch

Photo circa 2012 of Nicola when finding Die Hard in her house.
    SiduriBannLiyane
  • SiduriSiduri Member Posts: 1,390 @ - Epic Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Minifie said:
    Image result for the grinch

Photo circa 2012 of Nicola when finding Die Hard in her house, colourised.
    FTFY

• NicolaNicola Administrator Posts: 492 Achaean staff
    No, absolutely not.
    I just really hate Bruce Willis. :(
    Ahmet
  • KhaibitKhaibit Member Posts: 329 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yes, of course.
    It is not only the best christmas movie (and one me and my friends watch religiously every christmas eve) it is the best date movie too. 

• SobriquetSobriquet Member Posts: 1,419 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Nicola said:
    Any particular reason, or just a 6th sense about these things?
    Kyrra
  • KlendathuKlendathu Eye of the StormMember Posts: 2,380 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    Sobriquet said:
    Nicola said:
    Any particular reason, or just a 6th sense about these things?
    There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion. (OK, that was Brad Pitt's character, but 12 Monkeys is still a Bruce Willis movie)

Tharos, the Announcer of Delos shouts, "It's near the end of the egghunt and I still haven't figured out how to pronounce Clean-dat-hoo."

• SkyeSkye The Duchess BellatereMember, Seafaring Liason Posts: 2,497 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    I'm on the Bruce Willis love-train right now since there's a chance that they might do an actual Unbreakable sequel after Split's success. <3 

Hyperlith
  • MishgulMishgul Sør-TrøndelagMember Posts: 5,303 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    yes   

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • OceanaOceana Member Posts: 871 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Yes, of course.
    It is on the telly at Christmas, thus it must be a Christmas movie.
    KyrraBlujixapug
  • DakloreDaklore Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yes, of course.
    It occurs during Christmas, it has Christmas decorations, it has Christmas carols... it's totally a Christmas movie.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
    Trilliana
  • KezKez Member Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I don't understand why so many people want to limit themselves to watching Die Hard only at Christmas.
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,040 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited April 24
    No, absolutely not.
    I've never even heard of this preposterous lie before today. Christmas is for BBC programming, everybody knows that.
    :pleased::pleased:
  • HyperlithHyperlith San Fierro area, San AndreasMember Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Yes, of course.
    OMG, the quarterback is toast!

Nicola said:
    You may not like Bruce, @Nicola, but you have to at least give Argyle a chance. And of course, Hans Gruber will always have a warm spot in my heart.
    Skye said:
    ...Unbreakable sequel...
    I hope so -- this would be an amazing thing. :open_mouth:

Sign In to Comment.