Cyrene

Comments

• Barrons said:
    Aww it wasn't about either of you. I like you two. I don't mind a scolding when I deserve it. But just for the record, not only was the panty thing not my idea but another cyrenian supplied the panties. I was actually playfully threatened if I didn't agree to go along and it was freakin funny anyway. To me and several others anyway. But... Lesson learned! I love Verrucht. And Phaestus...even though I'm pretty sure he despises me lol.
    Personally, it had been my first impression of you, and at a time where an otherwise interesting discussion was going on. Didn't paint the most flattering image, I hope you'd understand! Though I did quite like how Tahquil had dealt with it, when she stepped on into the Crossing.
  • That's the downfall of a homunculus...I didn't get to see the reactions. Share?
  • @Verily : What did she do?
  • edited December 2012
    @Tahquil : A look of disdain as she cautiously wove her path around the items that uncouthly littered the Crossing.

Was really the one redeeming factor of the bothersome undergarment business that was going on there.
  • I always loved interacting with @Tahquil when we were both Cyrenian. As brief as those interactions were.
  • AerekAerek East Tennessee, USA
    edited December 2012
    Barrons said:
    ...The people in the city of Cyrene are so friggin touchy and quick to get offended, etc...
    I wouldn't say that's "people in Cyrene." That sounds more like "a select few who are very vocal".

And @Tahquil was a fantastic Cyrenian. I'm disappointed I was mostly dormant through that era.
    -- Grounded in but one perspective, what we perceive is an exaggeration of the truth.
  • Aerek said:
    Barrons said:
    ...The people in the city of Cyrene are so friggin touchy and quick to get offended, etc...
    I wouldn't say that's "people in Cyrene." That sounds more like "a select few who are very vocal".

And @Tahquil was a fantastic Cyrenian. I'm disappointed I was mostly dormant through that era.
    It is enough of the population of Cyrene that I've always felt, with any of my characters, that speaking on CT gave me about a 60% chance of getting chewed or belittled in some way. Same goes for standing at Centre Crossing.
  • We need a larger sampling size for this, in order to perform !!MATH!! and !!SCIENCE!!.

For 60% to occur, how large of a sample size are we talking? 20 or 30 times? 40, 50?

Secondly, are you incuring the attention of the same select, small sampling of Cyrenians, or are you getting a broader selection of individuals taking offense or chewing you out or whatever?

If this has happened over 100 times, and is indeed 60%(which would be... what....180 or so? I'm not doing reverse percentages, too lazy) but is limited to a very small sampling of Cyrenians, the problem is theirs. However, if this has happened over 100 times, is 60% of all occurances, and is drawing in a much broader sampling of Cyrenians, as much as 10% of all Cyrenians or greater(which, when you look at Cyrene's population, that's a lot of people), then chances are that it's actually on your end.

Not saying it is, not saying it's not. Those of us on the outside have no frame of reference from which to draw an accurate conclusion. And I personally know, I tend to take offense where the majority might not have seen it.
    When Canada rules the world,
    things will be... nii~ice.
  • Someone needs to put out the @Sena signal.
  • Also remember to have adequate control groups next to your test group and to conduct all your research with double-blind trials.
  • @Iocun is right.  You need to feed them both Arsenic AND Bayberry, first.

:-\"
  • edited December 2012
    Alright, holy crap the forums exploded while I was gone for a few days.

Hoooooooo.

Nellaundra, as a Cyrenian, pushes the line whenever she possibly can just to get people to react.  Say that it's trolling, but whatever, it gets people to talk and to -think- sometimes which is a feat in and of itself.

That's a big problem.  We shouldn't need to be prodded and hit with thinly veiled insults over the city channel to be willing to discuss.  We should be willing to discuss damn near anything.  Yes, Nell says the most -ridiculous- crap sometimes that I'm sure has had many of you facepalming over the keyboard or actually cringing or something.  But, you know how many people have -ever- spoken up to stop her?  None.

Apathy permeates the city like a damn fog.  No one cares about anything and it's all about personal roleplay, which while in itself isn't -bad- it leaves us without a real identity as a whole.

Cyrene is the retirement city.

People come here when they wanna get away from it all.  And for the most part, that's granted.  We have two types of combatants.  "Can't be arsed" and "How the hell does he DO that".

I'm one of the rare few that's actually inbetween.

The very reason why I -never- speak on the city channel except to chime in with some ridiculous bullcrap is that anytime Nell says something serious or tries to get a discussion rolling, there's no interest or someone pulls out the disrespect card.  I've gotten more tells from people saying I'm being disrespectful by differing in opinion than I care to bloody count.  People want a city where they don't have to do anything.  They have that.  But, that leaves the rest of us who want to -do- something with it out high and dry.

EDIT: Bloody hell this came out ugly.  Gonna make a new post later that explains this crap better.
  • edited December 2012
    Sorry, but I'm having a bit trouble understanding all of this. You say that "none have ever spoken up to stop her" when she "says the most ridiculous crap", yet you mention that you got more tells from people saying you're being disrespectful than you care to count. It seems to me that you want disagreement, but you only want disagreement in a specific form and within the specific discourse you wish to follow. That's natural, of course. But you have to realize that people disagreeing with your character's tone and whole approach to debate are following perhaps an equally "interesting" disagreement to themselves as the topics of disagreement you'd find interesting. Just saying "stop playing the respect card! Respond to me in the fashion I have laid out" seems a bit selfish and narrow. The term "respect" itself may be worn out, but the whole concepts of "how to tackle disagreements", "how to be a civilized citizen", or "how to present yourself in a dignified manner" may be worthwhile subjects in their own right, even if you'd rather wish to focus on something different.

And no matter how worn out the whole subject may seem, it is still one of the very few defining characteristics of Cyrene, so it might not be all too wise to just drop it completely.
  • Iocun said:
    Sorry, but I'm having a bit trouble understanding all of this. You say that "none have ever spoken up to stop her" when she "says the most ridiculous crap", yet you mention that you got more tells from people saying you're being disrespectful than you care to count. It seems to me that you want disagreement, but you only want disagreement in a specific form and within the specific discourse you wish to follow. That's natural, of course. But you have to realize that people disagreeing with your character's tone and whole approach to debate are following perhaps an equally "interesting" disagreement to themselves as the topics of disagreement you'd find interesting. Just saying "stop playing the respect card! Respond to me in the fashion I have laid out" seems a bit selfish and narrow. The term "respect" itself may be worn out, but the whole concepts of "how to tackle disagreements", "how to be a civilized citizen", or "how to present yourself in a dignified manner" may be worthwhile subjects in their own right, even if you'd rather wish to focus on something different.
    Sorry, I worded this pretty damn poorly.

What I mean is that no one speaks up on the utterly ridiculous crap Nell says.

But, every time a serious discussion gets started, the disrespect card gets played.  I'm very happy to actually roleplay arguments about...well, anything.  @Melodie can say plenty about that.  But, if they're just saying "You're being disrespectful" then I just get annoyed unless they say -how- and then I'm very willing to discuss.
  • edited December 2012
    Ah sure, if it's really just a catchphrase like that without any solid backup, I can understand the annoyance. Can't really judge how bad that can get myself because Iocun's usually way too nice to ever be told "you're being disrespectful!" :P (Although I consider it quite a feat that nobody ever told him that, considering the aggressive tone he's had a certain few times when talking to city leaders.)
  • Iocun said:
    Ah sure, if it's really just a catchphrase like that without any solid backup, I can understand the annoyance. Can't really judge how bad that can get myself because Iocun's usually way too nice to ever be told "you're being disrespectful!" :P (Although I consider it quite a feat that nobody ever told him that, considering the aggressive tone he's had a certain few times when talking to city leaders.)
    I will say this, it's great on the city leaders that I've -never- heard that from a Senator or above without hearing a reason as well.  It's mostly the rest of the citizenry who have issues like that.
  • Daklore said:
    When you start a thread about Cyrene, or read a thread about Cyrene, you should be prepared to read books. There's a reason why Cyrenians are usually listed in the bardic winners/runnerups/mentions.
    I must probably be a Cyrenian IRL, then.

• Calling it now: Synbios joins Cyrene, increasing the city's combat potential tenfold.

League of Legends: IA ROCKS (NA)
    Guild Wars 2: erasariel.1532 - Devona's Rest (NA)
    Final Fantasy XIV: Novi Selea - Cactuar (NA)
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ErasarielOfAchaea/
    Achaea: Erasariel (duh!)
  • Daklore said:
    If this has happened over 100 times, and is indeed 60%(which would be... what....180 or so? I'm not doing reverse percentages, too lazy) but is limited to a very small sampling of Cyrenians, the problem is theirs. However, if this has happened over 100 times, is 60% of all occurances, and is drawing in a much broader sampling of Cyrenians, as much as 10% of all Cyrenians or greater(which, when you look at Cyrene's population, that's a lot of people), then chances are that it's actually on your end.
    You know it.
  • MishgulMishgul Trondheim, Norway
    Cyrene is amazing, it has GARDENS.

-

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important

As drawn by Shayde
    hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • And then tearing down the tower of Cyrene with a herring.
  • Kyrra said:
    I propose a new project. Infiltrating Mhaldor to kidnap Carmain and transplanting his shrubbery at an ornate shrine.
    We could have it trimmed to look like a cat.
  • KyrraKyrra Australia
    Idelisa said:
    Kyrra said:
    I propose a new project. Infiltrating Mhaldor to kidnap Carmain and transplanting his shrubbery at an ornate shrine.
    We could have it trimmed to look like a cat.
    Can trim him into whatever you like after the transplant. The shears are yours!
    (D.M.A.): Cooper says, "Kyrra is either the most innocent person in the world, or the girl who uses the most innuendo seemingly unintentionally but really on purpose."

• I'm thinking flowerpot. A shrubbery of a flowerpot in a flowerpot. -nod-
  • Eff me, is this thread still going?
    Tvistor: If that was a troll, it was masterful.
    I take my hat off to you.
This discussion has been closed.