Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Gold Sinks

124

Comments

  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,027 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited February 15
    Asmodron said:

    I can easily see Mhaldor pushing (ordering?) its citizens to gather what necessary funds are required to upkeep the city
    This sounds soul-destroying tbh. A never-ending fundraiser. No thanks.

    It's different for cities on an organisational level, because the task is abstracted. The leaders can implement policies, then step back and see whether they work. Whether revenue > expenses. If not, change the policies: increase taxes, reduce spending, etc. The policy-makers aren't required to go out and grind up millions of gold themselves to fill the yearly budget deficit, because that would turn the game into a job for your best players and quickly make them hate logging in.


    I agree with the sentiment that the game should not evolve into feeling like a chore, but what I meant is that I could easily see a city like Mhaldor inciting its citizens to keep the city strong, as it seems very much part of their general way of life. This was in reply to the idea that Mhaldor might suffer from a concept of attempting to upkeep.


    Honestly I would see cities that are generally laid back, like Cyrene or Hashan, that would actually suffer more, as it is generally harder to try and convince their citizens to take action, since it is less about ordering and more about attempting to request.
  • MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Cooper said:
    It would definitely cause big problems in Mhaldor. We're currently the least active city by a massive margin according to CITY INFLUENCE ALL (just one of Eleusis's houses is more than double both of our houses combined, and even their small house is more than both of ours combined).

    I don't know the -exact- numbers, but we're spending a minimum of 50k per RL day upkeeping our scimitar, barracks, and pillar. We barely keep flat with those upkeeps with the credits coming into the city.
    Hasn't it always been a problem for mhaldor? Even when the city is flying high it still has an incredibly low population and influence. 

    Players shouldn't be paying to subsidize city costs, and putting in gold sinks that players make solid, consistent use of is a difficult thing to just toss in, especially in a F2P game, and the auctions are best used when constantly offering the same items that players only need once, so that gold gets moved around a bit then drained. 

    I doubt the last auctions even drained 1% of the gold players have though. Something like the mementos, but gold, could help in a very small sink, offering pseudo-artefacts for gold but letting players auction on potential items to set their value, but it would not be an "easy" gold sink.
  • LintonLinton Member Posts: 57 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Have known house leaders to purchase credits off CFS to bolster house credit sales. If this is or could be done at the city level, would city upkeep then be counterproductive if the expenses going into it could just instead go into bigger or more regular credit sales which is priced lower than CFS ? Not sure.

    ..

    Like Proficy's post. Feels very accurate. Would it be good if we took out minerals and revert back to just herbs and herbal cure? A higher herb price would be borne by those who use them alot, which supports the MMORRG model of trader and crafter type supporting/earning coins off the fighter type.

    From a business standpoint,  the business would not have to bear the cost of a lowered CFS, as any savings from someone buying off cfs is offset by the seller buying the credits off the website to sell them(after all the accumulated gold is gone).

    There is also no risk of people taking advantage of this - if everyone become a harvester wanting to earn in game gold for stuff, then supply will overshoot demand and prices would just go down to nothing again. And even that would not happen, due to plant scarcity and overharvesting per room. It's zero sum.
     
    The same then can be applied to the other trade skills that require material or ingredients by matching all supply closer to demand, making trade(not of talismans won) in the realms vibrant again.
    ..

    Regarding artefacts that are rentable by gold only, I think it would not be implemented because while a resultant lowered CFS is borne by people buying credits off the website to get the gold. It would be more attractive for the business to simply take the artefact idea and make it a new regular artefact/talisman.
  • CailanCailan Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    GIVE GOLD TO CAILAN is a sufficient gold sink. Close the thread.
    MathildaTalamondBrean
  • AccipiterAccipiter Member Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Linton said:
    Have known house leaders to purchase credits off CFS to bolster house credit sales. If this is or could be done at the city level, would city upkeep then be counterproductive if the expenses going into it could just instead go into bigger or more regular credit sales which is priced lower than CFS ? Not sure.

    ..

    Like Proficy's post. Feels very accurate. Would it be good if we took out minerals and revert back to just herbs and herbal cure? A higher herb price would be borne by those who use them alot, which supports the MMORRG model of trader and crafter type supporting/earning coins off the fighter type.

    From a business standpoint,  the business would not have to bear the cost of a lowered CFS, as any savings from someone buying off cfs is offset by the seller buying the credits off the website to sell them(after all the accumulated gold is gone).

    There is also no risk of people taking advantage of this - if everyone become a harvester wanting to earn in game gold for stuff, then supply will overshoot demand and prices would just go down to nothing again. And even that would not happen, due to plant scarcity and overharvesting per room. It's zero sum.
     
    The same then can be applied to the other trade skills that require material or ingredients by matching all supply closer to demand, making trade(not of talismans won) in the realms vibrant again.
    ..

    Regarding artefacts that are rentable by gold only, I think it would not be implemented because while a resultant lowered CFS is borne by people buying credits off the website to get the gold. It would be more attractive for the business to simply take the artefact idea and make it a new regular artefact/talisman.
    I think that since most gold comes from bashing ATM and most cures get used in PvP I don't think you want to increase the cost of them forcing people who just want to PvP to bash for gold. It used to be like that when broot was 250 per and it isn't a fun time.
  • GreysGreys Member, Seafaring Liason Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    So that is the cause of inflation. They are breeding with themselves!

    MathildaSiduriTalamondAereidhna
  • BorranBorran Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited February 16
    Why can't this happen already? Gods of each city come down and say "Too long have I protected your city/village/region/whatever from Creation's hardships. You will build an altar and pay gratuities to this altar in the former of gold sovereigns. If the amount is not paid, there will be consequences."

    Let the RP begin!

  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 3,642 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I dont think Anyone but Prospero cares about gold so it would be awfully jarring characterwise fir gods to do that.
  • AntoniusAntonius Member Posts: 4,048 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Because that's shitty RP for at least some of the Gods. Targossas is literally the Bloodsworn's gift to Their followers, so it would make no sense for them to turn around and say "Pay me protection money." They're not fucking mobsters.
    AnedhelAziik
  • BorranBorran Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Reflavour it. It's not hard. 

  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,194 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You can offer gold in place of essence. Drop/raise shrines instantaneously, for a price.
    Huh. Neat.
    Aereidhna
  • TahquilTahquil Member Posts: 3,642 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Lorielan : I am unmoved by the petty mortal actions of those of Sapience. I have been tasked with one ultimate job and I will fulfill it my duty with every breath in my - HEY LOOK A SHINY !!!!1 :3 !!!!
    PrytheAerekValariaIniar
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,027 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Borran said:
    Why can't this happen already? Gods of each city come down and say "Too long have I protected your city/village/region/whatever from Creation's hardships. You will build an altar and pay gratuities to this altar in the former of gold sovereigns. If the amount is not paid, there will be consequences."

    Let the RP begin!


    I'd rather not see Hashan remove a patron again...
  • BlujixapugBlujixapug Member Posts: 1,811 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Borran said:
    Why can't this happen already? Gods of each city come down and say "Too long have I protected your city/village/region/whatever from Creation's hardships. You will build an altar and pay gratuities to this altar in the former of gold sovereigns. If the amount is not paid, there will be consequences."

    Let the RP begin!
    A month-long event where each city's score equals the gold its citizens sacrifice. Last-placed city gets destroyed.
    image
    AccipiterAsmodron
  • BorranBorran Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    And requires gold to rebuild!

    Iniar
  • KhelKhel Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Put a gold cost on sanction. If the target city pays double, sanction fades. No cool down.
  • XadenXaden Member Posts: 1,874 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Khel said:
    Put a gold cost on sanction. If the target city pays double, sanction fades. No cool down.
    Hashan would be broke within a week.
  • MathildaMathilda Member Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Xaden said:
    Khel said:
    Put a gold cost on sanction. If the target city pays double, sanction fades. No cool down.
    Hashan would be broke within a week.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think we have a solid core of bashers to funnel gold to the city.  ;)
     <3 
    XadenBadeAesgar
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,027 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Xaden said:
    Khel said:
    Put a gold cost on sanction. If the target city pays double, sanction fades. No cool down.
    Hashan would be broke within a week.


    I'd love to say this could be true, but Hashan currently has a lot of "get em!" mentality folks in charge. Attempting to suggest not to engage is pretty difficult these days (and perhaps for the better).
  • ArcturusArcturus Member Posts: 21 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Asmodron said:
    Xaden said:
    Khel said:
    Put a gold cost on sanction. If the target city pays double, sanction fades. No cool down.
    Hashan would be broke within a week.


    I'd love to say this could be true, but Hashan currently has a lot of "get em!" mentality folks in charge. Attempting to suggest not to engage is pretty difficult these days (and perhaps for the better).
    As I have been in Hashan for about this past week, I have to say I am enjoying that attitude. I never really thought to join Hashan before, but after coming back after Renaissance stuff cleared up, and reading what the new Hashan was going to be focused on, it's been good to see people all for actively doing things rather than be passive/defensive.
  • ArcturusArcturus Member Posts: 21 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Alright, as for a nice Gold Sink idea.... was in a clan, and someone had mentioned if there was a place to store large items, or large amount of items, can't remember.... that's not a house or ship. Then it moved to store stockroom, order non-decay rooms, etc etc.

    So then I thought, "Hey, for a nice, functional gold sink, maybe there would be a way to implement like a "Bank Safe Deposit Box" kind of thing.

    The idea would be for a NON-DECAY DEPOSIT BOX and probably be something like, DEPOSIT ITEM IN BOX ###### from the -correct- bank, as I think it'd be better if you had to go to that same city to access said box, which would cost upfront gold for the box possibly, then maybe a daily (monthly IG) fee based on weight or if weight is rather out of whack, the type of item (Weapons/Armors/Jewelry/portraits/ whatever else people want to keep non-decay but don't use all the time), or number of items, etc etc. Honestly whatever you think can work. And have this fee deducted from a persons bank account every In Game Month.

    What do you all think of this idea? What would be some proper amounts? And most importantly, WHO WOULD USE/WANT SOMETHING LIKE THIS (and for what, really?)?


    Extra note: Maybe make it possible that a certain org(s), or list of people (up X amount limit) be able to access the box and items within it. If you want to upgrade from a personal box or an org box will cost more gold, and if you want to add more persons or something like that make it an X gold per In Game Month fee added on per person? Or a one-time fee.


    I think it could be a neat thing. Not sure if there's items that could also benefit from this that aren't able to be made non-decay on your person. Let me know your thoughts!
    Liyane
  • PrythePrythe Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Arcturus said:


    So then I thought, "Hey, for a nice, functional gold sink, maybe there would be a way to implement like a "Bank Safe Deposit Box" kind of thing.

    [...]

    What do you all think of this idea? What would be some proper amounts? And most importantly, WHO WOULD USE/WANT SOMETHING LIKE THIS (and for what, really?)?


    We had something similar in Gemstone.  I liked.

    - To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it


  • HeawonHeawon Member Posts: 5
    What about this...How about you make where the wheel stays adjust what is given out. Maybe reduce the limit of spins to once an hour and instead of giving items out it just give out buffs to hunting. Maybe have it have a chance of giving a a vial or a pipe at very low chance. Charge 50k-100k a spin. Maybe more or maybe less. Pretty much just something to completely take gold out of the system. IF 50 people id it per hour you are getting 500k out of the system. IN a 24 hour period that is 12m out. Effectively that is 360m a month.
    BadeAsmodron
  • JonathinJonathin A deep pit of hunger and despairMember Posts: 3,115 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    That still doesn't solve the problem. People that have amassed vast heaps of gold are not likely to waste their entire fortunes on the wheel when there is a rare chance at something as cheap as a pipe. The novelty will wear off. If they wanted to target those players, they would have to give a chance to get something absolutely irresistible and that would mean that it has some stupid combat implication like the crucible or miasma mask thing.

    (Mudlet Clan): Nylian says, "Mosr's on the case. Fix incoming."

    Tutorials and scripts  The Repository

    Kyrra
  • HeawonHeawon Member Posts: 5
    Jonathin said:
    That still doesn't solve the problem. People that have amassed vast heaps of gold are not likely to waste their entire fortunes on the wheel when there is a rare chance at something as cheap as a pipe. The novelty will wear off. If they wanted to target those players, they would have to give a chance to get something absolutely irresistible and that would mean that it has some stupid combat implication like the crucible or miasma mask thing.
    Yeah but what you are suggesting is semi-solving one problem and creating a bigger one. What I am suggesting is something that would be a essential to a hunt. The pipes and stuff would just be there as a type of filler. It could honestly be anything. What the main basis for this would be is the buffs. Like crit bonuses,exp gains, and other various things that the wheel is giving now. I mean this is just the basis of the idea> The fact stands that there has to be some kind of gold sink that is required. We stand in a game where imagination is our only limit. So why not take advantage of that? Like the current issue that first comes to my head is the fact that dragon is so easily obtainable. Why not instead of just dragon why not give the choice of a different form? Maybe pit these forms against eachother. We are stagnant with nothing really driving cities to go against one another. How long has Cyrene sat on there mountain and looked at other fight wars? We need active Gods that push us to mover in a direction. But, what do I know I am just a "tree hugger"

  • TelinusTelinus Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    Just take their gold out their accounts and send them a message to say "Sorry but you're fucking the game for everyone else, here's X bound credits"
    Xaden
  • AegothAegoth Member Posts: 2,075 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    if you're not being a productive member of society, then you do not deserve, nor are entitled, to use the credit market. This isn't Achaea: Age of Marxism
    Caelan
Sign In to Comment.