Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Is Achaea losing its "world"?

123457»

Comments

• DurianDurian Member Posts: 107 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I just can't get on board with people complaining about pay to win when it's really a playtime problem. They don't have the time to play and grind items out, so they pigeonhole people who have spare cash and call the game pay to win. It's not pay to win in my eyes, it's pay to skip. You still have to grind to Dragon, learn combat, which takes another significant amount of time input. All of which IS attainable through in-game methods provided you put the proper amount of time into it, and the majority of the artefact whales have invested LOADS more time into Achaea and other IRE games on top of the fact that they spend extra money here as well.

I've played since probably 2006, on loads of different characters, because my goal is time killing. I play at work when I'm not otherwise occupied, and when I get invested it bleeds over into the late hours when my wife and daughter are sleeping too, but I just don't have the time that a single, non-parent, or school-age person would. If I have extra money, and can pay to buy something that will help me take less time with face in monitor it's a no brainer for me.

I get how some people might log in, see the artefact whales, and log out forever, but those are the kinds of people I would rather stay away anyway.
    TaryiusLaedhaPrytheUtianima
  • FrederichFrederich Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    @Daeir

41.98.  Arties don't make you good.
  • TaryiusTaryius Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    edited May 1
    You can't compare artefact escrow to kills as both are dependent on time.

The people with the most kills will have been playing for a long time, and their amounts of kills are dependent on that (Both by having more time to get kills and more time to gain combat experience)

And the longer you play the more credits you'll accumulate from hunting, city/house creditsales events or even throwing an occasional 20 bucks into the game.

As well as everything skill related that @Atalkez said

All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 700 credits in escrow.

700/289 = 2.422 credits per kill. 

PS. What all does Auction Escrow take into account? Does it take lesson value? Because I only have 2 arties, (a L1 Crit pendant I just got from the greathunt and a signet ring) and I know that isn't worth 700 credits.

Edit: Exactly what @Durian said (I got ninja'd) artefacts are largely associated with playtime, and kills are as well... It's not an accurate measure as both can be gained from playtime and one might argue that kills -has- to be gained from playtime... There is no way I could net 5k kills in a month or two of playing. 
    Utianima
  • DaeirDaeir AustraliaMember, Secret Squirrel Posts: 6,039 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited May 1
    It'd be 13.50 in my case, for reference. With a modest escrow of 5633 credits.

For what it's worth, I'm not debating whether Achaea is pay to win or pay to skip or whatever else you want to call it, I'm simply saying that the immutable, inescapable fact of the matter is that comparatively huge character benefits can be purchased for money, and people that do not match that monetary investment either in time or in money themselves, are flat out at a disadvantage compared to the people that do.

If you prosper despite that disadvantage, more power to you, but it still exists, and no amount of "but it doesn't affect me" makes it not exist.
    :pleased::pleased:
  • AustereAustere TennesseeMember Posts: 1,989 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You need to figure in deaths too. Looking at you, Mr 420.
    AtalkezDaeir
  • DraqoomDraqoom CyreneMember Posts: 427 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited May 1
    All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 20866 credits in escrow.

Slain    : 1130 + Arena Duels: 197

20866/1327 = 15.72

Edit: This is also over a timespan of what... like 15 years now? Something like that?

• ArmaliArmali Member, Secret Squirrel Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    The lower the number the better, right?

2243 / (117 + 724) = 2.667
  • AchillesAchilles Los AngelesMember Posts: 2,270 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    A bit ridiculous to think artifacts don't make a difference.  Either people love wasting money or they are buying something to benefit them, there's no reason to view it any other way.

Having played against heavily artefacted players/factions (with broken AF area-skills to boot) artifacts have a huge impact on group and single combat PK.  It's seriously like playing a different game having gone from zero artefacts to having a few earrings, bunch of defensive artifacts, min-maxing racial and traits, veils (was always a delightful treat getting raided by a group of all veiled viewers and having no defenders with one), wings, buying line of site, reducing attack speed by 10-20% and a bunch of other crap you generally can generally only LOL at and not take too seriously (and remember the $5k you saved in RL can be used on amazing stuff offline).
    Mathilda
  • MathildaMathilda Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited May 1
    If you compare the amount of time you need to spend to obtain an artifact in-game versus the amount of time you could've worked an actual job to get the RL money to obtain that artifact, the RL work/money would be the clear winner (unless you live in a really low-cost, low-income local economy).

In any case, arguing that artifacts don't help in a fight is ridiculous. Player skill helps, sure, but so do the artifacts.

EDIT: I don't mind the pay-to-win aspect, by the way. What I do mind is people who deny that pay-to-win is a notable aspect of Achaea.

EDIT2: Outside of things like the Great Hunt and level-up credits (and ship trades, I guess), the vast majority of the credits that circulate the Achaean market was obtained via RL money. So even if you grind for gold to buy credits CFS-style, you're still paying to keep up with combat (albeit in a much less efficient manner).
     <3 
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,131 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I'm really not sure why you lot are dividing your escrow by your kills. Seems like a completely arbitrary measure of... absolutely nothing?
    Huh. Neat.
    Farrah
  • MathildaMathilda Member Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    All of your artefacts give you the ability to have 66 credits in escrow.  :#
    If you retire this character, you will receive 798 transfer credits for use on a new character.  :#

Slain    : 222 
    Arena Duels: 78
    Total: 300

Escrow / Kills: 0.22  B)
    Retire / Kills: 2.66  B)
     <3 
    Ahmet said:
    I'm really not sure why you lot are dividing your escrow by your kills. Seems like a completely arbitrary measure of... absolutely nothing?
    It is. That was the point. The correlation isn't something that can be measured physically and accurately.

• KafzielKafziel Member Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Ahmet just mad that his escrow:kill ratio is high
    The point

@Ahmet's head.
  • AhmetAhmet Wherever I wanna beMember Posts: 3,131 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I dunno I was just scrolling through I didn't read it all. Just saw people doing dumb shit and asked why. /shrug
    Huh. Neat.
    Ahmet said:
    I dunno I was just scrolling through I didn't read it all. Just saw people doing dumb shit and asked why. /shrug
    If you saw a bunch of people jumping off a bridge would you ask why?

You know, that doesn't really apply as well to this I guess.

• MinifieMinifie Member Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    edited May 1
    A more apt analogy would be if you saw a group of jordy boys measuring each others dick's in the public bathroom would you question what you saw or flop it out?
    PrytheFarrahKiet
  • VerquisseVerquisse Member Posts: 33 ✭✭ - Stalwart
    Minifie said:
    A more apt analogy would be if you saw a group of jordy boys measuring each others dick's in the public bathroom would you question what you saw or flop it out?
    That's actually pretty fucking accurate here. 
  • PrythePrythe Member Posts: 370 ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    You have emoted: Prythe turns and looks at Aeryllin trying to stretch out her movements as long as possible so that she can annoy the greatest amount of people possible, before finally taking notice of continuing conversation and offering a very quiet and low key, 'Oh'

- To love another person is to see the face of G/d
    - Let me get my hat and my knife
    - It's your apple, take a bite
    - Don't dream it ... be it

Zbaco
  • TalamondTalamond Member Posts: 26 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    I just want to point out that artefects don't limit the effectiveness of your character. I've spent $70 on Tala, but I'd say he's doing pretty well.

I don't care what anyone says about stats and the money that buffs them. Roleplay is the most powerful weapon in this game, and no amount of money will enhance that.

"If I started this game now, I would have quit." Nonsense. Despite appearances, power in Achaea is not based on your income. You might have thousands of kills, but Tala's name is permanently part of the Events posts. My work on player events will always outweigh the ten grand spent by a top tier combatant who never engages with their fellow roleplayers.
    PrytheTorinn
  • JacenJacen Member Posts: 2,202 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    K/D ratio over escrow would be a slightly better measure. It would be very interesting to collect a bunch of data (escrow, adv kills, adv deaths, age, time played, class, etc.) and see what correlations we could find.
  • TaryiusTaryius Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭ - Distinguished
    any sort of kills versus escrow thing would be really hard to measure with just statistics, because as you play you gain more skill and experience, but at the same rate you gain more artefacts.

Can make it look like more arties = more kills, when it could really be more skill/experience = more kills....

Really hard to measure
    We're just fucking around. Don't take it seriously!
    Taryius
    To clarify I'm just arguing pay to win versus pay to skip, I don't hold the mindset that artifacts are not a decisive advantage, they definitely make things a lot easier, and give vastly larger margins of error in most situations.
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,020 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Oh. This thread is still a thing.

Hmm. Having played other non-text games, some immensely famous, I can say without a doubt that text based games have the capability to provide great immersion and story where graphical mmorpgs cannot. This is what I believe Achaea has done. The flexibility to your char, choices and character lifestyle simply are near impossible in other games. While achaea has had made some decisions that even I have been upset with, it's story is still very much there and alive.

If you wish to see a collapsing storyline and world, then check out WoW. Just depressing at this point...
    Prythe
    Wow has a story? I just tap 1 2 3 4
  • AsmodronAsmodron Member Posts: 2,020 @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Durian said:
    Wow has a story? I just tap 1 2 3 4

T.T

At this point I play only it for nostalgia. The moment they open up high elves for alliance because of the childish tantrums by players, is probably when I giveup and quit.
123457»
Sign In to Comment.