Welcome to the Achaea Forums! Please be sure to read the Forum Rules.

Is Achaea losing its "world"?

DaeirDaeir AustraliaPosts: 6,259Member, Secret Squirrel @@ - Legendary Achaean
A common sentiment that I've noticed in the past few months, particularly among older players, is that the world feels more like a "game" now than it used to. 

Do you feel the same way? Is Achaea becoming more of an OOC game rather than an IC world to escape to? What in your mind, has changed to make it feel this way, if you do?
LiyaneTrillianaAereidhnaPlatonusAnneke

Comments

• MinifieMinifie Posts: 1,044Member @ - Epic Achaean
    This topic of discussion has existed for as long As I've played, with the first iterations being the sales of systems ooc for IG currency, ooc clans, "fish street", combatants (names withheld) who would "lol pwned) and stuff.

The world is still immersive, but the question more is: how do you react to the IC nutters? Personally I have 1 OOC channel, rest all are IC including my interactions, and I don't randomly whisper people IG about OOC things, that's why foruns exist.
    Hataru has been slain by the might of Wheezie Goosie.
    Iniar
  • MorthifMorthif Posts: 1,450Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    edited January 14
    I don't see you quitting TMC in the logs. Maybe it's a bug. 

The game is what you make of it @Daeir and you've been nothing but super negative and critical about EVERYTHING for like a year now. 
    NataliiaSarapis
  • AegothAegoth Posts: 2,165Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    only a year?
  • MorthifMorthif Posts: 1,450Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I was being generous. 
  • KezKez Posts: 646Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    I don't think Achaea is any less IC than it was when I started playing(1999 I think?). I think it's actually more IC and people just expect more immersion from it, which honestly gets pretty obnoxious from time to time.

It was normal to discuss mechanics and syntax on guild or city because that's how you learned shit. Now if you try it people are all hands in the air fainting woe is me. It feels unwelcoming to be scolded for trying to clear up your confusion on how to do something. IMO only says/yells/shouts are character communication and the rest are player communication but try it and you get whapped. Time spent in a house results in a silly amount of time ushering the IC chatter off HNT so newbies won't be afraid to ask what they need to know.

People frequently blame combatants for breaking immersion, but you know what's not immersive? All things combat. I don't know about you but trying to apply IC explanations to all the things about the game distracts me from the game.

Maybe I'm different, but I don't mind if someone says they need bio or something. It's sometimes necessary to announce afk and for me it translates to "game paused" if that person and I are doing something together. Someone being OOC doesn't actually register in my head as such until someone draws attention to it, and then the annoyance is directed at the person making it a thing. Plus, I feel more community with other players if we communicate more casually instead of being rigidly IC.
    ShirszaeVesiosShaydeAereidhna
  • KezKez Posts: 646Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    @Vesios Sometimes people even complain about others deffing up and I'm just kinda...

VesiosAereidhna
  • SobriquetSobriquet Posts: 1,624Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I can pretty much pin point when Achaea started to lose it's appeal for me. Ships and remote islands. Achaea, while boasting a huge number of rooms, still had a close-knit feel to it with everyone that played and it was very easy to interact with people. The moment islands came along it completely split up the player base, some islands you can't reach unless you sail and even Meropis is a PITA unless you have an artie or a certain class. 

I guess it's inevitable that expansion is the way to go to keep things new and fresh, and the content around ships has grown, but for me, spitting up the player base like that was a mistake. 

PrytheBorran
  • TaryiusTaryius Posts: 301Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    Regarding defup and the speed of combat, I've always viewed it like this

One hour in our time is one day in Achaea, and such seconds in our realms equate to minutes in Achaea. Spending 4-5 seconds sipping vials is really just spending a few minutes cycling through and sipping them in Achaea.
    AereidhnaJayden
  • CaelanCaelan Posts: 737Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Telinus said:
    The increased number of OOC related clans, chat groups etc. has definitely made the world a smaller place, in terms of things liek Skype groups, discord groups etc.

A feature that's definitely made me feel the game is a lot more OOC is the talisman promotions, wheel promotions etc. Whilst these are fun and what not, they just tend to break my immersion. No real reasoning behind it, just the sentiment behind them. Maybe things like the wheel and going there to spin it, people gaming it on big announcements across sapience and what not, just breaks the whole IC character for me.

Adding into that the groups of people who sit around talking OOC about combat mechanics, parties not being clearly IC or OOC for group defenses, and some people treating them as both at the same time.

The feeling that the world is smaller than it was, through quick movement abilities.

Wings, pebble, mounts that take you to certain areas, promo items that let you do things to travel quickly.

Other reasons for the world seeming smaller to me and less vast and endless as it was, is definitely Mudlet mapper. Its brilliant, I use it all the time, I use GOTO <place> same as everyone else, but its definitely destroyed a big feature of Achaea for me which was discovery, the use of this has definitely taken out the fascet of the world I enjoyed, discovering places and memorising how to get there.

The feeling that Achaea is a cash cow is definitely prominent on my mind, the constant promotions, items, and pay to win features, seem to be abundant, growing, and something that is only going to be expanded on.

The world is shrinking, we all know who everyone else is, or have seen them a hundred times, there's no real new blood, and if there was, the idea that to get to A or B they would need to grind for X'000 hours, whilst more than likely never being able to get the same footing as the likes of people who have all the talismans, unique items, custom auction items, would be a massive turn off.

If I was new, I wouldn't play or stay. Mudlet mapper would destroy a big thing that got me hooked, the world. OOC clans for city combat/mechanics/chat groups wasn't a thing (or a prevelant thing when I first started to play), and so I was ALWAYS in character, because I didn't have any reason NOT to be.

The idea that even if I hunt up to dragon, without there being another massive influx of talismans via a promotion, I would never get a cape to hunt with, or a deaths call to clear an area like dragon X or Y, would definitely turn me off.

Pretty much alot of this.  But the clans talking combat mechanics, i think I have always rationalized. Like...  irl knowing that if someone is within 15ft of you, they can get to you before you draw your weapon.

And maps have always been around. I dont know how long youve played but Maran dragged me into this money pit back...shit, 1997? 98? And I used to have printouts that Perseon had mapped of all the areas so Sentinels could get around. Papers ALL OVER my desk.  Mapper is just the newest iteration of JPG printouts. 

But the rest, yeah 

MorthifAereidhna
  • CaelanCaelan Posts: 737Member ✭✭✭✭✭ - Grand Achaean
    Minifie said:
    This topic of discussion has existed for as long As I've played, with the first iterations being the sales of systems ooc for IG currency, ooc clans, "fish street", combatants (names withheld) who would "lol pwned) and stuff.

The world is still immersive, but the question more is: how do you react to the IC nutters? Personally I have 1 OOC channel, rest all are IC including my interactions, and I don't randomly whisper people IG about OOC things, that's why foruns exist.
    This was going to be my next post. I think this is the 3rd iteration of this Ive seen since Ive been playing, and I took 5 years off.

NataliiaIniar
  • SarathaiSarathai Posts: 2,139Member
    Telinus said:
    The issue seems to be that when I look at those names, I don't just see "Good at PK", I also see someone who's driven their faction into the forefront of peoples minds, have spread conflict and disrupted RP events, but at the same time have CREATED RP events. War councils meeting to discuss tactics, enemies meeting to discuss resolutions. Cities creating content, bringing on this war-like mentality, almost like a WW2 mentality (not meaning to trivialise WW2 in any way, just what springs to mind).
    One element of this is that your faction's combatants will be a cornerstone of your ability to affect matters on the world stage, because Achaea is inherently a PvP game. Case in point, Hashan has the ability to influence things right now because several solid people joined up. What would happen if those people suddenly decided to move to, say, Mhaldor? Or Targossas, or Eleusis, or Ashtan?

I use Hashan as an example because "what's a Hashan" isn't all that long ago, but you could apply the same principle to other factions as well. For example, Ashtan: what would happen to them if the A-team decided to up and move somewhere else?

On Daeir's original question though:
    Daeir said:
    Is Achaea becoming more of an OOC game rather than an IC world to escape to?
    I've always seen Achaea as a game, albeit an RPG game that involves getting into character, but it's something I play for fun. If it stopped being fun, then I'd probably stop playing.
    - (Eleusis): Ellodin says, "The Fissure of Echoes is Sarathai's happy place."
    - With sharp, crackling tones, Kyrra tells you, "The ladies must love you immensely."
    - (Eleusian Ranger Techs): Savira says, "Most of the hard stuff seem to have this built in code like: If adventurer_hitting_me = "Sarathai" then send("terminate and selfdestruct")."
    - Makarios says, "Serve well and perish."
    - Xaden says, "Xaden confirmed scrub 2017."

Albel
  • KryptonKrypton shi-KhurenaPosts: 2,156Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    I take it you missed Rho visiting Cyrene last week
    (Mhaldor): Herenicus says, "Apologies, I am in-and-out of hold with Verizon wireless customer service."
    AereidhnaJayden
  • KresslackKresslack Florida, United StatesPosts: 5,635Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tahquil said:
    For me, at least, Achaea is getting less interesting because of a lack of public interfactional tension and/or cornerstone factional players.

When I started Tahquil public debates or lectures on Good. Evil, Babel, Nereaos etc were a weekly occurrence. This was really interesting to attend and learn about other people's opinion and the lore woven into the other factions. I found these to be highly immersive to the world and informative to why people were having these little skirmishes. It was delicious drama the world could get caught up in.

These days it seems (from the public point of veiw) that the only real conflict occuring is rading, raiding, raiding. While raiding is a valid form of conflict between the two cities it usually leaves everyone else without explaination as to why so they just shrug their shoulders and mutter about those two cities being at it again, -eyeroll- what idiots.

Back in the day there were a few cornerstone players who went out and engaged the public in general about their chosen faction. Going out and having these chats/lectures was some of the best PR any faction could ever wish for. As an outsider it also felt that these factions who are apparently suppose to be swaying the masses to their causes were actually trying to do this goal.

That's just my two cents though.
    I remember those days, and they were very interesting and enjoyable. Hour long discussions at places like NoNT debating Good vs Evil, Nature vs Industry, etc.

That really needs to make a return. There need to spring up some Prophets again instead of just Crusaders wailing on each other endlessly.

PrytheTrillianaJayden
  • SynbiosSynbios Posts: 4,437Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    You know, @Daeir, we could actually replace most of your words in your initial post with...I don't know, real-world history. Something about 'Back in the old days, I'd brave dark jungles, wrestle with mysterious man-eating animals and savage cannibals. Now, these kids and their newfangled Googley Moogley just look up 'Amazon Forest', 'hippopotamus' and 'politicians' in their gosh-darned tellybox-puters!' In other words, time marches on.

ShirszaeIsrayhlNataliiaAlbel
  • TahquilTahquil Posts: 3,743Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    @Krypton I did miss Rho visiting Cyrene last week. Was anyone outside Cyrene involved? Was this visiit announce beforehand for the world to attend? Were we so impressed we logged it and put it on the forums gushing about it? Did it start a back and forth between the city and Rho? Or was he just enemied and forgotten?
    Trilliana
  • MelodieMelodie Port Saint Lucie, FloridaPosts: 4,562Member @@ - Legendary Achaean
    Tahquil said:
    @Krypton I did miss Rho visiting Cyrene last week. Was anyone outside Cyrene involved? Was this visiit announce beforehand for the world to attend? Were we so impressed we logged it and put it on the forums gushing about it? Did it start a back and forth between the city and Rho? Or was he just enemied and forgotten?
    Pls no.

I'm Mhaldorian and I would have happily snarked at his face. Cyrene def should do/have done the same thing.
    "You have had an extraordinary adventure, my dear. Extraordinary! One that few people could ever imagine. Treasure it. Keep it safe and secure, tucked away in some special place in your heart. 

But... don't spend the rest of your days chasing a ghost."
  • KeorinKeorin Posts: 367Member ✭✭✭✭ - Eminent
    edited January 15
    He came in, made some snarky shouts, and was killed and enemied. It was very disappointing, but I suppose I can't say I'm particularly surprised.

I have had few occasions where I was more frustrated to play a character with little interest in history. Got to talk to him a little bit after myself at least, which was very interesting, if brief.
    Trilliana
Sign In to Comment.