Classleads

Comments

• Pyori said:
    Driden said:
    dor touch shield and depthswalker cant kill you.
    This is about as true as saying 'dor touch shield and serpents cant kill you' or 'dor curseward and shaman cant kill you'

That is to say, it's not true at all.
    Aegoth said:
    Ok and? DOR shield with rebounding shuts down a looooot of classes too. Serpent, magi, dwb, etc. Thats the nature of turtling.. so what exactly is your point?
    By all means guys pick up DW and invest lots of time into the 1v1 scene. As serpent i could keep my pressure if all you did was spam shield. As DW i lost all my pressure if all you did was DOR TOUCH SHIELD. I am not even talking about rebounding here. dont know where that came from. I am not saying it dosent share weaknesses with other classes im just saying its fairly trivial to defend against. Shield through preempt which has an age cost. Gallop or dash away. Fly twice to break it....Looks like its in a fine spot right now. Might even need some tweaks for a couple matchups. Just my thoughts on the matter i got from my experience with the class. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • edited April 2018
    TIL you can easily stick dizziness without guaranteed access to impatience.

If you wanna argue those kinda semantics, anyone with access to star sigils can 'follow' evade.

• edited April 2018
    Aralaya said:
    It's not the fault of the class if you suck at playing against it either  =)
    I destroy DWs I come across 1v1. It's not a problem for me. That doesn't mean that its aff/damage output isn't over the top, nor does it mean they are easy to escape from.. much the opposite. Let's stick to reasonable arguments here
  • Driden said:
    Pyori said:
    Driden said:
    This is about as true as saying 'dor touch shield and serpents cant kill you' or 'dor curseward and shaman cant kill you'

Aegoth said:
    Ok and? DOR shield with rebounding shuts down a looooot of classes too. Serpent, magi, dwb, etc. Thats the nature of turtling.. so what exactly is your point?
    By all means guys pick up DW and invest lots of time into the 1v1 scene.
    Hi. I've played DW on three different characters. My two chars I've retired were DW when they were retired. I have plenty of logs in the Combat Logs section that shows me playing DW, and doing rather well with it. Using virtually every route possible that DW has, whether it be damage, locks or dictate.

• Pyori said:
    TIL you can easily stick dizziness without guaranteed access to impatience.

If you wanna argue those kinda semantics, anyone with access to star sigils can 'follow' evade.
    Clearly you don't know what hypochondria does if you think DW doesn't have guaranteed access to impatience. Unless you were just being facetious... in which case, disregard
  • Pyori said:
    Driden said:
    Pyori said:
    Driden said:

Aegoth said:
    By all means guys pick up DW and invest lots of time into the 1v1 scene.
    Hi. I've played DW on three different characters. My two chars I've retired were DW when they were retired. I have plenty of logs in the Combat Logs section that shows me playing DW, and doing rather well with it. Using virtually every route possible that DW has, whether it be damage, locks or dictate.
    Now i never said the class was weak or couldnt work. So my question to you is against who? For reference I was attacking and fighting. Farrah,Dunn,Atalkez,Antidas,Jhui,Proficy, Seragorn, ,exelethril ontop of all the midbies doing combat at the time. Im drawing my opinion based on what i saw really strong combatants do to counter me. I wracked my brain to determine counters to there counters. I gave the opinion i gained through those combatants. 
    Cooper said:
    This is one of the worst forms of special snowflake RP I've ever seen. Thanks for going to another city to do it!
  • Aegoth said:
    Clearly you don't know what hypochondria does if you think DW doesn't have guaranteed access to impatience. Unless you were just being facetious... in which case, disregard
    There's a difference between guaranteed access, and limited access. Guaranteed would be an instill giving it directly, not a tertiary affliction. You can very easily cure hypochondria before you get given impatience, considering they can't combo depression with paralysis. And if you're posing that argument, what do you propose comboing larkspur with, so that dizziness sticks without them just curing out of impatience/hypo?

I don't disagree DW is rough to escape from, fwiw. I just don't agree on particular arguments you're posing for why they are. Like having 'easy to stick dizziness' when in fact they don't.

Driden said:
    Now i never said the class was weak or couldnt work. So my question to you is against who? For reference I was attacking and fighting. Farrah,Dunn,Atalkez,Antidas,Jhui,Proficy, Seragorn, ,exelethril ontop of all the midbies doing combat at the time. Im drawing my opinion based on what i saw really strong combatants do to counter me. I wracked my brain to determine counters to there counters. I gave the opinion i gained through those combatants. 
    Interesting, since a number of those mentioned people also disagree that DW is countered by 'dor touch shield' - Two of them are very prolific DW fighters. And, for reference... Just because something counters you, that doesn't mean it counters the class entirely as you seem to be suggesting.

• Alright, nerf DWB and Dwalker, got it. 
  • edited April 2018
    Considering how fast DW stacks afflictions, saying 'easily stuck dizziness' is a given. Who the hell prios dizziness over things like stupidity, anorexia, etc? 

Also hypochondria isn't that hard to stick if you bury it under a higher prio aff like timeloop. DW has many, many methods to bury afflictions of their choice
  • Pyori said:
    Aegoth said:
    There's a difference between guaranteed access, and limited access. Guaranteed would be an instill giving it directly, not a tertiary affliction. You can very easily cure hypochondria before you get given impatience, considering they can't combo depression with paralysis. And if you're posing that argument, what do you propose comboing larkspur with, so that dizziness sticks without them just curing out of impatience/hypo?

I don't disagree DW is rough to escape from, fwiw. I just don't agree on particular arguments you're posing for why they are. Like having 'easy to stick dizziness' when in fact they don't.

Driden said:
    Interesting, since a number of those mentioned people also disagree that DW is countered by 'dor touch shield' - Two of them are very prolific DW fighters. And, for reference... Just because something counters you, that doesn't mean it counters the class entirely as you seem to be suggesting.
    Yeah but i didnt just give DOR TOUCH SHIELD as an example of how to shut down the class. In fact thats more arti/class dependent of a way to do it. For example monk in dragon stance with eq diadem/quick witted. You can not gain anything on looping shield. in fact you will lose pressure once they start doing it. An most people agree aggressive shield use is a good way to deal with dw pressure. Maybe not at a 4 second balance time but like....who worth fighting dosent have an eq gem?
    Cooper said:
  • Aegoth said:
    Considering how fast DW stacks afflictions, saying 'easily stuck dizziness' is a given. Who the hell prios dizziness over things like stupidity, anorexia, etc?
    I don't remember the last time I was playing DW, where I thought, "Oh nice hypochondria gave them impatience... Better follow up with larkspur."

• Pyori said:
    Aegoth said:
    I don't remember the last time I was playing DW, where I thought, "Oh nice hypochondria gave them impatience... Better follow up with larkspur."
    ... impatience is literally always the first affliction hypochondria afflicts with. It works with smartaff mechanics
  • edited April 2018
    Aegoth said:
    Pyori said:
    Aegoth said:
    ... impatience is literally always the first affliction hypochondria afflicts with. It works with smartaff mechanics
    ... Impatience is the last affliction it gives...
    Nausea > Lethargy > Addiction > Impatience is the order.

eta: addiction/leth might be around the other way. Forget the order of those 2.

• That has not been my experience with hypochondria at all. I will test later, but i'm pretty certain you're mistaken
  • edited April 2018
    Classleads post 14-
    * LETHARGY and ADDICTION have been swapped in the HYPOCHONDRIA delivery progression. This means LETHARGY is now the third affliction given while ADDICTION is the second.

There we go. Nausea > Addiction > Lethargy > Impatience. They just get to skip nausea, since that's given from the depression instill. So it's addiction (if they dont already give vardrax first) > lethargy > impatience. Three ginseng affs, then impatience has how it's been since it got changed in announce post 4179.

• Aegoth said:
    Not that quickly? DW doesn't have some obscene affliction rate, yet you're acting like it does. Reap is slower than most affliction class attacks, and attune at 8 seconds per proc doesn't suddenly tip it over the edge.

Some of the things you're talking about, such as using the depression chain to give hypochondria to give impatience to stick dizziness, don't directly contribute towards most of DW's potential kill routes, so in those cases those attacks are just adding substantially to the time to kill (three reaps to give hypochondria then one for dizziness is ~8.4 seconds added).
  • edited April 2018
    Aegoth, I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong about hypochondria. If you ever get impatience from a depthswalker you let them get far too much momentum to begin with. It literally takes like over 20 or 30 seconds assuming no hinder at all. Hypochondria is the third aff given by depression. Impatience is the fourth aff given by hypochondria. You have to stick a ton of afflictions to get impatience and there is utterly no point in using dizziness 30 seconds into a fight to "prevent them from escaping." You should drop the dizziness argument already. 

(There is a better way to stick dizziness, mind you, and that's via madness. It's unreliable RNG, but possible. However, it's not the best use of resources since a person running away is the least of your worries if all you're doing is trying to stick dizziness rather than afflictions that hinder or kill.)

DW's aff rate is not super high compared to most momentum classes. It does snowball if you stick madness and hypochondria, but that's by design and requires momentum to achieve. It is also very difficult to go that route in practice against many classes because it is a reduced hinder route with no paralysis and no clumsiness unless you go farther out of your way.

Preempt and distort are mutually exclusive. A serpent only has reason to use evade if you're using distort, but then preempt won't follow. Preempt has its uses but it also has its counters (which are utterly trivial with artefacts). Distort is just like Apostate/priest tools except worse because its proc rate decreases when you loop and you can't keep it in adjacent rooms for long at all. If you respond appropriately to DW, it's not super difficult to escape. I'd consider Occultist more difficult to escape with its mobile hinder and no mechanic that reduces its proc rate.

I don't think DW is underpowered, like I said, but I don't think it's more powerful than other classes either. Everything has a weakness.
  • I am not going to argue with people who are extremely good at DW. I just wanted to point out something is was a W T F moment. I am ignorant of how to truly play DW. That is why I randomly attack and run away from DW's (like farrah). So I can see what they are doing and try to figure out a way to counter. As a shaman Farrah definitely outpaced me because of clumsiness, timeloop and paralysis. 
  • Aegoth said:
    That has not been my experience with hypochondria at all. I will test later, but i'm pretty certain you're mistaken
    You're wrong. It always gives impatience last.

Sticking dizziness is definitely possible using the madness instill, but you sacrifice some progression for it. It is not reliable.

DW does not have a problem with people leaving the room though. Flight is counterable for them, and preempt when used correctly means people aren't going to escape easily. 

• edited April 2018
    I will say that there is a large disparity in ability to escape preempt based on artefacts and location. That would be a fair complaint.

If you can't dash or duanathar, it's much stronger. But on the flip side, duanatharing away from it is utterly trivial. I barely use preempt in my generally high tier fights because duanathara is such an absolute counter. But if I'm in an arena or Annwyn, there's a substantial difference in effectiveness.

There are still ways to handle it though, such as spam shield until it fades, then run. It can't be reused right away so that's basically the intended counter when the other options aren't available.

Preempt doesn't really have any bearing on whether the rest of DW is OP though (it's really not), because preempt is so unusable in the circumstances I noted that it is not something a DW can rely on. So at most, preempt would need an adjustment, not the rest of DW.
  • Its worth mentioning that DW's "smart afflicting" style means that one of the greatest benefits to leaving the room versus other affliction classes, being able to eat curatives without them seeing what you ate, is not nearly as punishing.

DW in general doesn't whif afflictions nearly as much as other classes, and because of this increasing uncertainty of affs with broad cures like tree/passive ticks is often much less effective. This can make it the feel like no matter how you cure, you'll get wrecked the same which isn't how a lot of other aff classes are setup.

Because of this, DW also excels at following/chasing people and that can feel frustrating to fight against. Occie is pretty similar in both these aspects with their focus on number of affs rather than specific affs and assess-like skill.

Those are important to remember. I think this more plays into the fact that DW is a lot more user and mistake friendly than locking style aff classes and that can often translate into frustration. There usually is a tradeoff on effectiveness if a classes skill floor is low, but it looks like classleads this round might address that issue a bit.

Also, dash/gallop is stopped by weariness which is a trivial aff for DW to stick and won't stay unstuck for long if they use degen. Heila is super op if you spec'd it and have distort down and they try to fly. Tumbling away isn't great if you don't have your own room hinder, and they are smart enough to drop distort in the room you tumble into. 
  • edited April 2018
    Dropping room hinder in the next room means an eq cost or age cost, which directly reduces the hinder's effectiveness, so I really don't agree on that. Heila is irrelevant if you use distort because flying is never the ideal move against distort.

Smart afflicting is definitely an advantage for DW, but it is also a gating mechanism, much like sicken for Apostate, so it operates as a disadvantage too. Essentially, DWs don't get thrown off track as easily but take longer to kill people compared to the faster momentum classes out there. It's an advantage it shares with Alchemist, which is another slower class, while serpent and bard, for example, have to keep better track of affs but have much much faster locks than the other classes can do any sort of kill. It all balances out overall and the unique advantages and disadvantages of each are what make combat varied and fun.

I lose more as DW than I do as most momentum classes, to be honest, and while I really enjoy the class I think people have a tendency to fixate on strengths and ignore corresponding weaknesses, leading to opinions of the class that don't conform to how it actually performs in reality.

Aegoth, for example, is arguing DW is OP while simultaneously stating that he doesn't lose to them. You have to question why that is.
  • Farrah said:

Aegoth, for example, is arguing DW is OP while simultaneously stating that he doesn't lose to them. You have to question why that is.
    because when I' m getting 100-0'd in under 4s in a small group skirmish just from 2-3 depthswalkers pressing loldegen, it's a bit ridiculous. I don't think that's going out on a huge limb to say
  • Multiple Depthswalkers spamming degeneration is only effective for the person who attuned, if anyone did. The damage boost is otherwise negligible.
  • 2-3 Magi doing Holo bombs would kill people in 5 seconds too.  I don't see what the problem is.
    Deucalion says, "Torinn is quite nice."
  • Ajoc said:
    Multiple Depthswalkers spamming degeneration is only effective for the person who attuned, if anyone did. The damage boost is otherwise negligible.
    much more effective I think would be depression. Thats a lot of mana drain into dictate. 
    Cooper said:
  • edited April 2018
    Aegoth said:
    Farrah said:

because when I' m getting 100-0'd in under 4s in a small group skirmish just from 2-3 depthswalkers pressing loldegen, it's a bit ridiculous. I don't think that's going out on a huge limb to say

Like Ajoc said, degen damage is only actually high for a single DW in a group fight, and even for that DW, is only really really high if they also have your shadow. In massive group fights where multiple people are damage attacking you, any group of classes (that have such damage attacks) will kill you. You would actually take more damage if a single DW degened you along with a monk Kai choking and a Magi staffcasting or bard accentatoing (or whatever else). The additional DW only do about 15% per hit, which isn't super high.

But you also seemed to specifically be saying they were OP in 1v1 before, which can't be based on how they do in groups.
  • Torinn said:
    2-3 Magi doing Holo bombs would kill people in 5 seconds too.  I don't see what the problem is.
    The problem is that you're wrong. Pretty huge problem if you ask me!
  • Farrah said:
    Aegoth said:
    Farrah said:

Like Ajoc said, degen damage is only actually high for a single DW in a group fight, and even for that DW, is only really really high if they also have your shadow. In massive group fights where multiple people are damage attacking you, any group of classes (that have such damage attacks) will kill you. You would actually take more damage if a single DW degened you along with a monk Kai choking and a Magi staffcasting or bard accentatoing (or whatever else). The additional DW only do about 15% per hit, which isn't super high.

But you also seemed to specifically be saying they were OP in 1v1 before, which can't be based on how they do in groups.
    I've had DWs with lv 2 scythe hit me for way more than a mere 15% consistently in groups that had multiple DWs. You are grossly downplaying the amount of damage DW does, begause it's definitrly not "negligible". There's a reason why Targ rolls around with 5 DWs in their groups slaughtering swaths of victims, let's be real. Let's not forget that psychic resist is pretty nonexistent
  • Torinn said:
    2-3 Magi doing Holo bombs would kill people in 5 seconds too.  I don't see what the problem is.
    False. Holocaust has a 10-second minimum timer.